GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up a power outlet(from a car)into my front storage pocket. The red connector that I hooked it to only has a 5 Amp fuse. Will this be enough to run a tire inflator or should I replace it with a higher Amp fuse? I'm not sure what else runs off that circuit.
Thanks
Rob :thumbup::yes1:

·
Registered
928 Posts
The simple answer to both questions is no. Adding a bigger fuse won't work because the wire is not heavy enough gauge to run an air pump. Best place to hook up your air pump is directly to the battery posts. Someone who is much better electrically versed will explain it better. Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Could not have said it better, I have my portable mini compressor set up to plug into my Battery-Tender connector that comes out of the hole above the left hand passenger floor board.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I agree with Crabbywinger. I used a brand new motopump using the lead from my battery that I used for my battery tender. Promptly blew the inline fuse. Called motopump customer service and the guy said the pump pulls more amps that the battery tender do’s they use a 3amp fuse. The lead I got with the pump has a heftier fuse that can handle the load. Swapped the BT lead for the MP lead, no more problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
5amp is only good to run electronic items like charging a call phone or powering a GPS. Anything more then that and the fuse will blow. Compressors run an electric motor that pumps a compressor. That takes a lot of amps and needs to be powered directly from the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts