GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I just ordered a power plug outlet from Electrical Connections. I plan on installing it in the front left fairing pocket. The instructions say to drill a hole 1 1/8" diameter at the X mark that is molded on the front side of the pocket (for models 2001-2005). I found out that on the 2006 models, they no longer have the X molded in.

Does anyone have a sketch or dimensions where I should drill this hole so that it doesnt interfere with the other components when I install it? I really only want to drill it once, and it is a little hard to tell where the center of the hole should be.

Thank you for your suggestons

Loren

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
actually on the 2006 the mark is in the right corner of the left pocket....where there is a 45 degree angle...at least it was on mine...good luck...the mark is there...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pocket on the right side is so shallow I didnt think there is enough room. I was hoping to plug my Ipod in the left side with the power plug.

thanks for your suggestion.

Loren

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Loren,

Its in the upper right corner of the left fairing pocket....all these rights and lefts....I'M TALKING ABOUT THE LEFT FAIRING POCKET...there is a 45 degree angle in the LEFT FAIRING POCKET, on the right side of the left fairing pocket.... :D

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
lorenedopp said:
Hello everyone!

I just ordered a power plug outlet from Electrical Connections. I plan on installing it in the front left fairing pocket. The instructions say to drill a hole 1 1/8" diameter at the X mark that is molded on the front side of the pocket (for models 2001-2005). I found out that on the 2006 models, they no longer have the X molded in.

Does anyone have a sketch or dimensions where I should drill this hole so that it doesnt interfere with the other components when I install it? I really only want to drill it once, and it is a little hard to tell where the center of the hole should be.

Thank you for your suggestons

Loren
Just so you know if your not stuck on locating the 12vdc power plug outlet in the left fairing pocket H.D.L. also sells one for inside your trunk. T.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
tvbveb,

I got both of them...the one in the trunk I wired directly to the battery...with a 10 amp fuse for my Air Compressor... :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You probably don't care but I mounted my weatherproof cigarette lighter socket on the right fairing in that panel that has the right fairling pocket lock. I mounted it in the lower left side of that panel and it does not interfere with anything behind it. I mounted my Gerbing dual controllers on the lower right side of that panel and they are a really tight fit to stuff behind the panel. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Trunk 12V outlet

gwlrhfarm: Where did you mount you outlet in the trunk? I want to put one in mine as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Wannabee said:
gwlrhfarm: Where did you mount you outlet in the trunk? I want to put one in mine as well. Thanks.
I mounted it in the top trunk lid inner liner...on the left side...lets not get into the right...left problems again... :lol: ...it's really the only place with clearance...you have to remove the trunk lid inner liner ... then drill the hole in the liner (1 3/16 for me)....then fished the wire, through the hole...next to the harness and under the seat...to the battery (actually it to an EC Power Plate and Radio Shack Grounding strip)...10 amp fuse...added a connector between the liner and the trunk top so i wouldn't have any problems removing the liner for any other wiring/accesories stuff.... :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jerry,

I went back and looked and on the right side of my left fairing pocket, the only mark is what is known as the "gate" when they molded the plastic part. This is a circle with a "dot" in the center.

I didnt have the X everyone is talking about.

Thanks for the update...I may try to locate it there.

Loren

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't have an X on my "O6" either. There is a dot on the right side angle, up nearer the top. Maybe their mold is getting full of crap or they stopped putting in the X...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Lewis to the rescue. :wink: Always go to "The Source" with those kinda questions, I've found that is quicker and my satisfaction has been 100% in dealin' with guys like Lewis and Jon from Gold Wing Gadgets. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Lewis is GREAT...but my '06 had a mark...just where Lewis said...ohhhhhhh..well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts