GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will shortly be picking up a new-to-me 2002 ... i have a Garmin 550 I'll be bringing with me to assist in the long ride home ... problem is, the bike does not have a power source in the fairing pocket, or a Ram ball mount.

I can use the suction cup mount for temporary attachment for the trip, but what is the easiest and fastest routing of the power to the battery without major disassembly on covers, etc. I'm just looking for a fast and easy solution for the sake of a 7 hour ride.

Suggestions please. All appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, i have never had much luck with the suction cups on the windshield so pick up a fishing leader to use as a tether. It does not take much to pop the left compartment out and locate the power plug. The power lead can go down the fork tunnel and back up above the rad. Once the compartment is out you will find an easy way to pull it in. I would use a couple of spade connectors to tie into the power point plug. This should be closer and quicker than geting to the acc panel near the battery.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have dual RAM mounts on both handlebars but last year I moved my Garmin to the windshield using the suction cup. I found the suction to be more than adequate if I wet the cup first, usually just rubbing a bit of spit on it before attachment. One day I went off-roading after missing a turn and even with about 4km of min. 6" deep potholes the gps stayed mounted. Unfortunately it came loose the next day traveling on the 417 here in Ottawa. The power cable acted as the tether for me. That night I drilled a tiny hole in the windshield and base and screwed the parts together. To finish I painted the screw head and visible threads with black paint. It's not invisible but it looks a lot less obvious than the chrome head did.

For me that's the best position for the gps. The handlebar mounts place the screen far too close and too low for me to be useful. On the windshield it's mounted just to the left and above the vent. YMMV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts