GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I added the 12V accessory socket to the left forward storage cubby on my 2007...now the question is what is the best way to get a cable to my phone when it is mounted on the bars. I have my phone mount on the right side, attached to the front brake master cylinder.

I can't imagine that riding with the door open is a popular choice...

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
Take a dremel cut knotch in lip of were door meets cubby at lower rite bottom or can take screwdriver (or the like ) (round) heat it up and touch it to where you want knotch. Will melt plastic - and make your spot for cable i run my phone wire n aux wire thru mine. I take pics while riding with iphone so have longer cables to be able to lift n hold phone 1 handed use magnet holder when gonna do pics . Been doing for years with no issues

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I put my phone on the left side. It is on top of the Clutch reservoir usin a ram dall mount. I ran a braided 6 ft lightening cable out of the bottom of the left cubby, down around the fairing and back up the left handlebar. Charging cable is zip tied to the bar.

·
Registered
478 Posts
never thought of melting the lip.
I know, right? Wish I'd known about that 6 months ago.
I'll probably do it anyway, to smooth and clean up the Dremel cut. Less wear and tear on the cable.

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
i know, right? Wish i'd known about that 6 months ago.
I'll probably do it anyway, to smooth and clean up the dremel cut. Less wear and tear on the cable.
melt trick works good also if trying to repair hinge on back cubby heat small nail red so it goes rite in and use it to make new hinge "pin"

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Here’s my solution. Waterproof, on the right side. Sold as a marine unit, by a company called Scanstrut. Didn’t have much longevity with lightning cords run all the way across the bike...

(Sorry about the sideways pics.)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
So I added the 12V accessory socket to the left forward storage cubby on my 2007...now the question is what is the best way to get a cable to my phone when it is mounted on the bars. I have my phone mount on the right side, attached to the front brake master cylinder.

I can't imagine that riding with the door open is a popular choice...
I installed a separate 12 volt charger direct under the right side pocket area and then ran a charging cord up right handlebars with throttle cables hidden and then jumped out to phone mount.

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
This is what works for me. I have a 4 way splitter plugged into the left box’s plug to accommodate my Bluetooth receiver, my GPS and my iPhone. Remove the left box. Drill a hole in the side of the box just big enough to accommodate your plugs ends. Use a 6 foot cord to route under everything and over to your right side for your phone. Make sure you can turn the bars without binding the cord. If you just cut away the top lip of the box, every time you open the lid you will have to make sure the wire stays in the cut area- nope.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
374 Posts
I put my phone on the left side. It is on top of the Clutch reservoir usin a ram dall mount. I ran a braided 6 ft lightening cable out of the bottom of the left cubby, down around the fairing and back up the left handlebar. Charging cable is zip tied to the bar.
That's what I did; everything is nice and tidy, nothing hanging in the way. Ram X mount works fine so I can listen to Pandora:smile2:

Reactions: MiWinger51
1 - 11 of 11 Posts