GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So those of you who have connected in a Nuvi (Greg Rice mod or other) with the combo power cord & traffic receiver -- how did you connect to power?

I'm going to remove my Zumo 665 since I'm not using the XM much. I've got that powered via the Aux circuit now.

My preferred option is to tear into the cigarrette lighter part and just solder in to it in a permanent connection that will sit under the left pocket. I am concerned about screwing up the traffic receiver. I haven't had one of those apart.

My fall back options are:
-- attach a female receptable under the pocket and plug the male into that. Sort of bulky, though.
-- solder to the external pins on the male plug

I don't want to plug the Nuvi into the existing 12V socket in the pocket, as I plan to still use that for my phone, etc.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I used a 12v power outlet under the pocket (I actually eliminated my pocket altogether to make room for wiring).

Stuck the adapter in and secured it with electrical tape. I notched my pocket cover for the cords to come out (power, mic, audio).

Hope this helps.

ETA: Be careful with hardwiring as the 12v Garmin plug knocks the voltage down to USB level. If you want to hardwire you need a different cord. Then you'll lose the FM traffic receiver but if you use the Garmin smartphone link it doesn't matter you get traffic over the smartphone link).

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, AndyCBR. Good caution mentioned. If I were to wire in, it would be to the input contacts before the step down stuff, not after. I just haven't run into anyone who has torn open one of those things yet and am trying to avoid surprises as to what's there once I crack the plastic open on the cig lighter end.

Do you know if the Nuvi will pull data from both the FM traffic and the smartphone connect, or if it is a setting you pick and commit one way or another? I wonder if I will even use the FM traffic.

ETA: Be careful with hardwiring as the 12v Garmin plug knocks the voltage down to USB level. If you want to hardwire you need a different cord. Then you'll lose the FM traffic receiver but if you use the Garmin smartphone link it doesn't matter you get traffic over the smartphone link).

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks, AndyCBR. Good caution mentioned. If I were to wire in, it would be to the input contacts before the step down stuff, not after. I just haven't run into anyone who has torn open one of those things yet and am trying to avoid surprises as to what's there once I crack the plastic open on the cig lighter end.

Do you know if the Nuvi will pull data from both the FM traffic and the smartphone connect, or if it is a setting you pick and commit one way or another? I wonder if I will even use the FM traffic.

Don't know if it will do both FM traffic and smart link or which one gets reported if you have smart link enabled. There is no menu selection in the 2797 that I have found to make a preference either way.

In fact not sure if my FM receiver is even working as I cut the cord only to realize the internal circuitry I spoke about above. I spliced back the 3rd wire I cut (which I believe is the antenna wire) but have been running with smartphone link since I hooked the 2797 up. Not even sure if the FM traffic is active in my area.

Sorry no better info.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the traffic thing, FYI -- under Settings > Traffic the first item looks like it might expand as you connect multiple sources. I haven't had two sources active yet, so I'm just guessing. But checking the Help text, it references an Auto setting to let the device choose whichever it thinks is best.

BTW, my 2797 makes me accept the License Agreement on start up every time, before going to the don't nav & drive caution. Does yours? I thought it would only do it the first time, but it keeps coming back. I'll probably post on a Garmin site for their two cents on that.

Regarding the guts of the power plug / traffic receiver -- I half opened mine. Removed the tip & fuse, pried a little, the two halves started to open from the tip end but they were seriously stuck together on the back end where the wire comes out. I couldn't see any mechanism (perhaps a screw under the label?) and thought any more prying risked breaking the case and perhaps a board or something in there. So I bailed. From what I could see the whole male part of it is just plastic and big metal connectors, which could be got rid of by wiring the power in to whatever leads feed out from there before entering the rest of the circuitry. But in the end, I'm not that pressed for space or for silly things to do, so I think I'll just use a female plug end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts