GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always hated Cigarette lighter sockets as power connections. This was just something the automotive industry created as an easy way to get power from existing cigarette lighter sockets and it doesn't work very well.

I have been contemplating installing powerlet sockets and converting everything to that style because I like the positive connection they make, but the cost of these things is insane. I don't need machined aluminum connectors. High quality plastic is good enough for me. I noticed that on my Gerbings gear, the powerlet connectors all are made by Hella, so obviously this is not a design standard that is patented by Powerlet.

Does anybody know of a source for alternative less expensive versions of these connectors. I did a search for Hella connectors, but they must only make connectors for OEM products because nothing came up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
John Deere tractors. I don't have the part number but the outlet is less than $10.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just found the part numbers

BMW Style Power Plug (John Deere Part# RE11344)
BMW Style Power Socket (John Deere Part# AL25073)

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Luckyman. The first part number showed as invalid on the JD parts website. The second one showed as available with a list of $16.50, which is still a bit steep. I am kind of hoping that there is an electronics parts supplier that carries them as opposed to an OEM source. Small OEM parts are always marked up 500% to 1000% or more.

At least I know now that they are indeed out there. It appears that JD also uses the Hella connectors based on what I read.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rottendog said:
Radio Shack has a large assortment, and they are easy access if a replacement is needed.
Do you mean connectors in general or this same connector. I wouldn't have thought of Chicken Shack as a source. I'll have to check them out.

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Larry, I am confused. You say you don tlike the plastic type that the auto makers use, but yet you say you want a good plastic connector? Am I missing something? If you buy the connectors thru Gerbing they are dirt cheap, and are made by Powerlet. I bought both the Gerbing male and females for less than $ 35.00 bucks.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toyo said:
Larry, I am confused. You say you don tlike the plastic type that the auto makers use, but yet you say you want a good plastic connector? Am I missing something? If you buy the connectors thru Gerbing they are dirt cheap, and are made by Powerlet. I bought both the Gerbing male and females for less than $ 35.00 bucks.
I just looked back at my first post to see if I said that I don't like the plastic ones, but I didn't. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I said that I don't like cigarette lighter sockets.

They may have changed their source in the past couple of years, but my Gerbings connectors are not made by Powerlet. They have the name Hella embossed in the plastic, which from what I have read, are the same ones that John Deere uses.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Larry, What about Lewis's stuff. Or how about Powerlet part# PKT-016-A. Is this what you are looking for? Where do you want to install it? Or try this one. ASO-002. Come on Larry I know you can spring $15.00 bucks!

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
I just installed a cigarette lighter style outlet in the trunk of my 1800.
I obtained the outlet from WallyMart, in their automotive electrical dept. The unit is hard plastic, with a hinged cover over the outlet. This cover prevents anything from entering the outlet while it is not in use. I have the same outlet mounted on the outside of the right passengers cubby hole door. It has not failed in 90,000k's.
Cost $12.95cdn.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Toyo said:
Larry, What about Lewis's stuff. Or how about Powerlet part# PKT-016-A. Is this what you are looking for? Where do you want to install it? Or try this one. ASO-002. Come on Larry I know you can spring $15.00 bucks!
LOL, Yeah, I know I am sounding like a cheapskate. $15 is not a big deal. I just figure that by the time I buy 2 or 3 outlets, plus all the male connectors to convert my existing cigarette lighter plugs, plus a few spares, it would easily add up to over $100, which seems to me like and awful lot to spend on just connectors. I just was looking for an alternative.

I'm not trying to be cheap, just not waste money needlessly. I'm one of those guys who is just as satisfied with a $5 chrome plastic license plate frame as much as a big buck billet aluminum one.

Thanks, I will check out EC. I didn't know he carried Powerlet. It may actually be a little cheaper than paying full list by buying direct from Powerlet. If that's what I gotta do, then that's what I gotta do.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts