GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Powerlet plugs on many motorcycles for heated clothing and other stuff.

I would like someone who has installed one of these plugs to give me a recommendation at to where to install same and which unit to order. I've had it tapped directly into the battery, but have a SChrome fuse block I can use.

I was thinking that near the knee area on the left would be good. There seems to be a rectangular area that would suit this installation. What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Reactions: Hoopdc and laen

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
23 Posts
I installed a Oowerlet cover by the left knee in the same area where the Honda 12v. port goes. For heated gear make sure it can supply 15 amps. I wired my direct to battery with the hot wire fused for 15 amps close to the battery. If I can find a pic I'll post it or take one tomorrow.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed a Oowerlet cover by the left knee in the same area where the Honda 12v. port goes. For heated gear make sure it can supply 15 amps. I wired my direct to battery with the hot wire fused for 15 amps close to the battery. If I can find a pic I'll post it or take one tomorrow.
Which plug kit did you use? The low profile plug?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have had Powerlet plugs on many motorcycles for heated clothing and other stuff.

I would like someone who has installed one of these plugs to give me a recommendation at to where to install same and which unit to order. I've had it tapped directly into the battery, but have a SChrome fuse block I can use.

I was thinking that near the knee area on the left would be good. There seems to be a rectangular area that would suit this installation. What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Anyone know the current status of the company Powerlet ? I ordered a Powerlet kit to install on my 2018 DCT in the Fall of 2018. After several weeks no kit so I emailed a couple times with no response. Then tried calling several times and it rings but no answer.

I had placed my order on the Powerlet store webpage, they accepted my PayPal and billed me. Finally I sent copies of my emails and an explanation to PayPal so they would know this site was billing but not shipping. I didn't want others to go through the same hassle. PayPal was kind enough to credit my account for the purchase.

Revzilla used to carry all the Powerlet products. I see even today they don't list much from Powerlet and what they do carry much of it is listed as Close Out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know the current status of the company Powerlet ? I ordered a Powerlet kit to install on my 2018 DCT in the Fall of 2018. After several weeks no kit so I emailed a couple times with no response. Then tried calling several times and it rings but no answer.

I had placed my order on the Powerlet store webpage, they accepted my PayPal and billed me. Finally I sent copies of my emails and an explanation to PayPal so they would know this site was billing but not shipping. I didn't want others to go through the same hassle. PayPal was kind enough to credit my account for the purchase.

Revzilla used to carry all the Powerlet products. I see even today they don't list much from Powerlet and what they do carry much of it is listed as Close Out.
I've heard this before. Maybe it was you last year on this MB. I just spent an hour looking for Powerlet stuff online and didn't find much.

Is there an alternative kit? Low profile, waterproof, with a cable and inline fuse?

·
Registered
560 Posts

Since I couldn't get the Powerlet socket similar to what I had on my 2013 F6B and after further consideration of my options I went to a straight coax connection for the following reasons:

1, I already had a fused coax battery harness supplied by the manufacturer of my heated gear.
2, I wanted to be able to remove all plastic panels without wiring being physically attached to a panel.
3, Despite the spring loaded cover Powerlet contacts still accumulated corrosion and had to be cleaned from time to time.
4, All my heated gear used Coax connectors so the Powerlet was simply another connector to deal with in the circuit.
5, No doubt the Powerlet install looks cleaner but in my experience this was the only Pro to going this route.

I ended up with two power outlets using a stock Y-connector and zip ties to the frame to neatly secure everything. The connector near the front of the seat is easy to access once you are on the bike. Same for my passenger with the connector placed near the aftermarket Traxxion grab rails. I realize some will find the exposed wiring objectionable but for the reasons stated above this has worked very well for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've heard this before. Maybe it was you last year on this MB. I just spent an hour looking for Powerlet stuff online and didn't find much.

Is there an alternative kit? Low profile, waterproof, with a cable and inline fuse?
Check out Warm & Safe at this link: https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/accessories-cables?page=1

They sell the BMW flush mount socket which I think the Powerlet was simply a copy of. They also sell a flush mount Coax socket.

Warm & Safe has been an excellent company to work with in my experience. My girlfriend loves there Heat Layer shirt so much I recently ordered one for myself.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used low profile. After reading later posts in the thread, I can see the merits of a coax plug or perhaps just zip-tying coax lead where you need it. I took the top shelter off to run the XM antenna lead from behind the dash to under the seat or I probably wouldn't have installed a connector. But I was already there, had a powerlet outlet on hand.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Hella makes the plugs. Powerlet is out of business. BestRest Products carries them. The high dollar cycle pump folks.

In the past I have bought the male plugs at John Deere dealers. Don't know if they still handle them or not.

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/electrical-gear/bmw-style-power-socket/

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/electrical-gear/bmw-style-power-plug/
Interesting how Pwerlet, Warm and Safe have the plugs at around $20 each, and Best Rest has them for $5 for a 4 pack. There may be some difference in the design ... but ???

·
Registered
478 Posts
Powerlet is just one brand name. The plugs are standard, going by the common names Hella plug, or BMW plug. They are available all over theinterwebs, including Amazon.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a coax fused cable in hand. I think I'll just install this under the seat exiting on the left. I can use this for my heated gear instead of a more complicated ... and, more expensive installation of a BMW plug.

I've always had the BMW plug on my bikes, but this seems a more modest and simple way of doing this.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Sounds like a good option for heated gear or an air pump. I like the socket because I can use it with a dual usb charger, allowing my passenger to charge our helmet comm gear, her cell phone, or whatever we may need it for. I have the Coax Cable that goes into the socket for heated gear, as well as a Coax that allows use of an air pump etc. I also use the port to charge my battery with the Coax cable.

I am surprised to hear Powerlet has gone under.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Thanks.
It MUST BE just me. Gerbings. Period. They've been at it for ..............I don't know........many decades.

Because I am a 'simple' and 'stupid' guy, I have, for 31 years now, just put a lead straight from the battery. On the left side for both heated clothing and the battery charger. 2 different wires. The KISS method. Hasn't failed me in 31 years. You can hide the wires very easily, if you'd like, by just tucking them into whatever is closest to the battery. I've done this on every bike I've ever had. ( 10 or 11 of them )

All this talk of drilling holes, all sorts of cable ends, etc.......................it's insanity I say, inanity !!!! KISS. >:)>:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It MUST BE just me. Gerbings. Period. They've been at it for ..............I don't know........many decades.

Because I am a 'simple' and 'stupid' guy, I have, for 31 years now, just put a lead straight from the battery. On the left side for both heated clothing and the battery charger. 2 different wires. The KISS method. Hasn't failed me in 31 years. You can hide the wires very easily, if you'd like, by just tucking them into whatever is closest to the battery. I've done this on every bike I've ever had. ( 10 or 11 of them )

All this talk of drilling holes, all sorts of cable ends, etc.......................it's insanity I say, inanity !!!! KISS. >:)>:)>:)>:)
Some people like a nice tidy solution, without cable ends hanging all over the place when not used.
Once installed they provide a clean setup that is easy to plug in heated clothing, Battery Tender, or whatever else you want.

Same reason you run household electricity through the walls then use an outlet..... :laugh:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm about to do a quick and dirty setup with battery tender pigtails and extensions and SAE to Coax adapters... but that's cuz I got a trip come up before the weather gets too cold (wife has less tolerance), and I want to carefully plan the placements and outlet type for heated gear (and possible other duties)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts