GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came in from the garage after doing a Practice Run of laying my Wing over to remove the rear tire to install my CT when it arrives. All went well with the help of my 23 year old son.
My question is can any harm come to the wing such as engine, trans etc if left laying over too long from oil movement etc or should I let it set upright for awhile before starting?
It looks like this procedure will be the easiest.
Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I think do not start it right away, ten or fifteen minutes is good. Not sure it would ever hurt anything, but only takes a couple minutes for things to go back to normal .

Kit

·
Registered
2013 Red GW
5,931 Posts
It also helps to not have anywhere near a full gas tank. 1/2 or less will keep it from seeping out the tank breather.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Frmntd, If I found my bike on the crash bars (AS ALL NIGHT)

I would turn the engine over using the rear wheel, in 3rd gear.

Hydro-lock "could" bend a rod or brake a piston. That is:

if oil ran downhill to end up in the combustion chamber and a

piston driven by the starter were to slam into the liquid, damage

would likely occur. Slowly turning would do no damage and

removing the sparkplugs would allow clearing of oil.

Just to be safe.

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Just came in from the garage after doing a Practice Run of laying my Wing over to remove the rear tire to install my CT when it arrives. All went well with the help of my 23 year old son.
My question is can any harm come to the wing such as engine, trans etc if left laying over too long from oil movement etc or should I let it set upright for awhile before starting?
It looks like this procedure will be the easiest.
Any suggestions ?
Frmnted,
If you wish to change your rear wheel by laying your bike on the right side, I would have the new car tire mounted up on a spare wheel and ready to put on bike. I would loosen the wheel nuts up with the bike on the center stand and then lay bike down on its right side, remove lug nuts, remove wheel from bike, put car tired wheel on studs, snug up lug nuts, upright the bike and put on center stand and tighten up lug nuts. I would think that after about 15 minutes it would be okay to start the bike up. I have never done this because it's not that big of deal to me to remove the rear center fender and do it that way but if out on the road I might try it. I have heard of many Wingers that have laid the bike on it's side to do it and never had a problem with damaging the engine or anything else.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just mounted my CT couple of weeks ago by laying the bike on its side. What I found was I had to lay the bike all the way on its side to get the CT in place. The mirrors were almost hitting the ground but I had a boogie board there just in case. Laying the bike on the crash bars only didn't get the bike over far enough to get the Kumho in place. The bike layed on its side for several hours and had no problem starting up once it was upright.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts