GL1800Riders Forums banner

prayer for a alabama family

1369 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  alabamaWing
A 9-year-old Henagar boy died late Tuesday after he was severely burned while using gasoline to start a fire.
Chayton Hawkins died at Children’s Hospital in Birmingham before he could be transferred to a Shriners hospital for burns in Cincinnati, DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris said.
The boy’s 10-year-old brother also was slightly burned on his face and clothing.
The boys were burned just after 8 a.m. Tuesday.
Harris said it appears the boys were taken to a residence just off Andrew Lee Drive to catch the school bus. When they missed the school bus, they decided to start a fire to keep warm, Harris said.
While building the fire, the 9-year-old apparently used gasoline from a fuel can, which caused an explosion.
The 9-year-old boy’s clothing caught fire, and the force of the explosion knocked the 10-year-old to the ground.
The boys were able to attract a nearby motorist who called for help.
The Henagar Fire Department initially responded, along with DeKalb Ambulance Service.
It was too foggy for a helicopter to land in Henagar, so the ambulance crew took the child to Collinsville, where LifeSaver helicopter landed and transported him to Children’s Hospital.
Mark Ford, chief of operations of DAS, said the child had second- and third-degree burns to 90 percent of his body.
The sheriff’s department and the state fire marshal’s office are investigating.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I saw that on the news. Man you got to feel for the family.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.