GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions regarding the Wing's Navi system. It could have been addressed before but I just couldn't find it.

1. Can you load a custom route into it with many waypoints and follow it, or this Navi is just the one they put in cars for navigating from point A straight to B?

2. Is there a trick to have the Navi stay on screen when turning the bike on after you turned the bike off?
It is just plain stupid to make it load again after it was already on screen... Why going back thru the whole procedure? Plus... by the time you realized that it's not on screen - you already rolling, and there is NO WAY you can bring it on again without looking where to pull over and stop!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I am almost positive on 2012-up, there are 2 data cards and you can take one of them and put into computer to add custom routes. I know that a custom route can be done using the onboard navi. The key is to do point A to B first and then start putting in waypoints. Always put the furthest waypoint in first and work your way back to the closest waypoint.

As far as the navi staying on even when shutting off the bike, that wont happen. Turn the key off and the navi shuts down. 2 ways to deal with it like when you are getting gas,
1. Have a separate key made and do the radio knob mod. That is to get a spare goldwing radio knob, cut the head of the key off and then glue it to bottom of the knob sticking out. You can search for further info on how to do it. You can then leave that in your gas door lock all the time. When getting gas, turn ignition key to ACC and then open the gas door with your modded key. The navi screen will then stay on.
2. When you have parked your bike somewhere and just came back, start the bike up as it sits on the side stand while you get ready, put your riding jacket on, helmet on, gloves on, etc... By the time you get on and get ready to go, the "Enter" option should have come up allowing you to launch the onboard navi. That's the method I use most.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The navigator is full featured but a little quirky. Practise with it until you learn the little get-arounds to deal with the quirks. I always program it on the bike so never played around with the internal cards.

The solution Mike K gave you seems ok if you are able to leave the ignition key in place.

I've gone a different route. I have a switch which cuts the speed signal to the GPS so I can use it while moving. Not so much for programming but at least it can be started after I'm are moving. A number of folk have done this in the past, do a search and you'll likely find a few alternative solutions.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you.

I forgot to mention that mine is 2008 so I guess I can't add via points or more-so upload my routes. But to get around it, I use my Garmin for that. It's just a waste to have a navigation system installed which acts as a car nav.

The second issue is more important as I have not yet found ways around it. Having a second key for a gas station stops is just a patch but I'd be more interested in the cutting the speed signal to gps approach. Can you shed more details on it pls, or help to find the write-up for it?

Thanks.

PS
Sometimes (more often than not) I keep wondering what these Honda designers were thinking with.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You can add via points on all year GL1800's. I can do it on my 07 and the 08 has the same system. You just have to add them in after first programming your route using the onboard navi. It just takes a while to enter the info. And like I mentioned, add the furthest one first and work your way back. You just dont have the option to do it with your 08 on your computer and transfer it over to the onboard navi.

As far as cutting the speed signal, that still doesnt solve the screen on for navi issue you mention. All it does is keep the navi from locking out the controls once you start moving. The navi will still need to boot up and you still have to hit "Enter" if you have turned off the ignition for any reason.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can add via points on all year GL1800's. I can do it on my 07 and the 08 has the same system. You just have to add them in after first programming your route using the onboard navi. It just takes a while to enter the info. And like I mentioned, add the furthest one first and work your way back. You just dont have the option to do it with your 08 on your computer and transfer it over to the onboard navi.

As far as cutting the speed signal, that still doesnt solve the screen on for navi issue you mention. All it does is keep the navi from locking out the controls once you start moving. The navi will still need to boot up and you still have to hit "Enter" if you have turned off the ignition for any reason.
Cool, I'll try to set the via points as you said.
As for the navi on screen, although it won't stay, as least I be able to turn it back on without looking where to stop on a side of the road (if Honda thinks that it's safer...)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
.... I'd be more interested in the cutting the speed signal to gps approach. Can you shed more details on it pls, or help to find the write-up for it?.
Despite suggesting it, I'm not having much luck searching the forum to find the relevant threads regarding the speed signal switch. I can find it for the 2012 onward bikes but not for the earlier ones. My own bike is 2013 so probably not entirely relevant to you.

From memory, and I could easily be wrong, I think folk were intercepting the GPS vehicle speed signal (VSS) cable at a connector under the seat and I seem to remember it being white with a black tracer. Techdude2000 will know, he appears to have the whole bike in his head! You could PM him or he might catch your thread.

There were different ideas about where to mount the switch but mine is down by my right knee, just below the Nav system buttons and it has been fine in that position.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This is how mine was done by the previous owner. It was a little nerve wracking the first time I tried it as you have to push the reverse switch whole under way but it worked just fine...
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4837
Good one! :thumbup:

I've just stolen this out of the text because it seemed relevant, credit to kenburkhalter:

"For those attempting to do everything under the seat, note that the Nav System connector with the wht/blk wire is inside the protective boot at the back right corner of the bike (from a looking forward prospective). It is the 10 pin connector."

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I believe that I've posted this previously, but anyhow the attached pdf file is what I did with my 2013. Since Radio Shack has become fairly scarce of recent, the Radio Shack Switch shown in my attached instructions is available in quantity on-line from many sources. On Amazon you can get 10 of them for $9.16. Search for the string: <uxcell 10 Pcs Black Round Button SPST On/Off Rocker Switch>

This arrangement has worked flawlessly for well over 5 years now.

FWIW, I'd have two concerns with the use of the Reverse Switch solution: 1.) Having to hold it down continuously while at the same time trying to enter selections into the Navigation System could be far more challenging than say doing something far easier like texting while riding. 2.) I'd not want to put my trust in any safety system that is "supposed" to keep the Reverse function from engaging while under way. Just the principle of the thing bothers me a bit.

Attachments

Reactions: BlkWing1

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe that I've posted this previously, but anyhow the attached pdf file is what I did with my 2013. Since Radio Shack has become fairly scarce of recent, the Radio Shack Switch shown in my attached instructions is available in quantity on-line from many sources. On Amazon you can get 10 of them for $9.16. Search for the string: <uxcell 10 Pcs Black Round Button SPST On/Off Rocker Switch>

FWIW, I'd have two concerns with the use of the Reverse Switch solution: 1.) Having to hold it down continuously while at the same time trying to enter selections into the Navigation System could be far more challenging than say doing something far easier like texting while riding. 2.) I'd not want to put my trust in any safety system that is "supposed" to keep the Reverse function from engaging while under way. Just the principle of the thing bothers me a bit.
According to the author of the write-up on the prev page link, just the On/Off Rocker Switch is not enough for 06-08 Wing... I agree your is the simplest and easiest way.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There's a third way you can defeat the speed sensor to the Navi (instead of installing a speed sensor bypass, or using the Reverse switch).

As long as I don't have anyone close behind me, I'll pull the clutch (I have an '08) and switch the key to ACC. After a couple of seconds, the speedo drops to zero and I can acknowledge the NAVI. Turn the key back on, hit the starter, and feather the clutch back out. Takes longer to describe than it does to do!

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts

I bought a pack of ten from Amazon over a year ago. But I don't feel comfortable cutting the wiring. If I could actually see someone's bike that has been done I might get the courage to do this. :confused:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just bought an '07 with Navi. What is the current map card for that year and where can one buy one? Or... is "current" a joke since the bike is pushing 12 years old now. ;-)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just bought an '07 with Navi. What is the current map card for that year and where can one buy one? Or... is "current" a joke since the bike is pushing 12 years old now. ;-)

If you get the "Official" map card, it is 2014.4 which are basically maps from 2013. If you make your own updates, the maps are 2020.10 and that's what I have listed onto my 2007. I only have the lower 48 on that card. If I want Canada and Alaska along with Mexico, I can just make up another card if I choose...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you get the "Official" map card, it is 2014.4 which are basically maps from 2013. If you make your own updates, the maps are 2020.10 and that's what I have listed onto my 2007. I only have the lower 48 on that card. If I want Canada and Alaska along with Mexico, I can just make up another card if I choose...
How can I "make" my own update card?

As for the bringing the navi back, I'll experiment with cutting wire and switch first before going to RSV bottom route. Will let you know if works.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
How can I "make" my own update card?

There are a couple ways to do it but basically the way I do it is to have a Garmin with lifetime updates, have a copy of Mapsource running on your computer, and have an extra CF card (06-08 models) and a way for the computer to write to the CF card. Download the latest update using Garmin Express using the install to computer option. Open Mapsource with the updated maps and select the maps you want to save. Transfer the custom mapset to your extra CF card and then use an unlocker program to unlock the maps to use on the GL1800. You also need to make sure that your GL1800 has the latest firmware which is 4.90 for the 06-08 models.

Pretty much everything you need to know can be found in this thread but it will take a while going through it:
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/118-navi/72686-fyi-how-update-your-navi-latest-everything.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are a couple ways to do it but basically the way I do it is to have a Garmin with lifetime updates, have a copy of Mapsource running on your computer, and have an extra CF card (06-08 models) and a way for the computer to write to the CF card. Download the latest update using Garmin Express using the install to computer option. Open Mapsource with the updated maps and select the maps you want to save. Transfer the custom mapset to your extra CF card and then use an unlocker program to unlock the maps to use on the GL1800. You also need to make sure that your GL1800 has the largest firmware which is 4.90 for the 06-08 models.

Pretty much everything you need to know can be found in this thread but it will take a while going through it:
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/118-navi/72686-fyi-how-update-your-navi-latest-everything.html

WOW...thanks! I do believe I am capable of that, but need insight into what exactly the 'unlocker program' is and how to check and then update the firmware for the bike. All new to me!

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are a couple ways to do it but basically the way I do it is to have a Garmin with lifetime updates, have a copy of Mapsource running on your computer, and have an extra CF card (06-08 models) and a way for the computer to write to the CF card. Download the latest update using Garmin Express using the install to computer option. Open Mapsource with the updated maps and select the maps you want to save. Transfer the custom mapset to your extra CF card and then use an unlocker program to unlock the maps to use on the GL1800. You also need to make sure that your GL1800 has the largest firmware which is 4.90 for the 06-08 models.
Are you able to get the entire Lower 48 on a 2Gig card? I'm short by something like 100Meg. Also, my Navi does not seem to like the 4Gig cards I have (RiData).

If you are using a 4Gig card, what brand works for you?

Thanks,

jdg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts