GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
What pwhoever says is pretty much the process to do it. If you need the unlocker program or the latest firmware update, shoot me a PM with your email address and I can get it to you through dropbox. I also have a write-up that I did for the maps before the 2019 series, but it still has info for updating the firmware and other stuff. I'll have to change it since the map files are to large to use now.

Let me know if you want it.

Reactions: pwhoever

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Are you able to get the entire Lower 48 on a 2Gig card? I'm short by something like 100Meg. Also, my Navi does not seem to like the 4Gig cards I have (RiData).

If you are using a 4Gig card, what brand works for you?

Thanks,

jdg

I have been using Kingston 4gb and Sandisk Extreme 4gb Compact Flash cards. When I first started making my own GL1800 mapset, I was using Transcend 2gb cards as the whole North American mapset was under 2gb and easily fit. Through the years, the map size grew and reached quite a bit over 2gb. THE 06-08 navi's tend to be a bit fickle and dont want the mapset to be much above 2gb. The full North American will fit on a 4gb card but the GL1800 wont be able to read it. Just doing the lower 48, the navi is still able to read the card but you have to use a 4gb card to do it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been using Kingston 4gb and Sandisk Extreme 4gb Compact Flash cards. When I first started making my own GL1800 mapset, I was using Transcend 2gb cards as the whole North American mapset was under 2gb and easily fit. Through the years, the map size grew and reached quite a bit over 2gb. THE 06-08 navi's tend to be a bit fickle and dont want the mapset to be much above 2gb. The full North American will fit on a 4gb card but the GL1800 wont be able to read it. Just doing the lower 48, the navi is still able to read the card but you have to use a 4gb card to do it.
I'll have to try the Kingston or Sandisk and see if my unit will read them.

What I did this last time was build two maps, one splitting on the west edge of Texas and the other along the eastern edge. I figure that gives me enough overlap to change cards easily during any cross country ride I am making. Plus I have the Garmin 665 as well.

jdg

Reactions: pwhoever

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'll have to try the Kingston or Sandisk and see if my unit will read them.

What I did this last time was build two maps, one splitting on the west edge of Texas and the other along the eastern edge. I figure that gives me enough overlap to change cards easily during any cross country ride I am making. Plus I have the Garmin 665 as well.

jdg
I buy my CF cards on Ebay. I look for the ones that are about $6-10 each and then I'll buy 4 or 5 at a time from one vendor. I've had good luck with the Transcend cards so far. I haven't had any bad cards yet (knock on wood) and that way I can play with them if needed. I just make the one map file to keep in the bike and use the 660 for any actual planning of trips. Works better that way for me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
On my 2015 I use Honda Trip Planner https://tripplanner.honda.com

I bought a sim card reader for under $10 that plugs into my PC via USB and I can plan the trip on my home computer. You can simply pick up the plastic cover and remove the sim card from the GPS unit in the trunk and then put the sim card back in the bike after you used trip planner and saved the data to the card. It will then pull up all the planned trips.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
On my 2015 I use Honda Trip Planner https://tripplanner.honda.com

I bought a sim card reader for under $10 that plugs into my PC via USB and I can plan the trip on my home computer. You can simply pick up the plastic cover and remove the sim card from the GPS unit in the trunk and then put the sim card back in the bike after you used trip planner and saved the data to the card. It will then pull up all the planned trips.
Not sure, but I was told that it won't work on 2008 wing?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not sure, but I was told that it won't work on 2008 wing?
Correct. It won't. There is no way to load a route to the built in GPS for the 2006-2008 Wings. Only way is to manually enter each waypoint via the screen. If you want pre-planned routes on a 2008 you're best bet is an external GPS (I have a Zumo 665 on mine).

Reactions: dave ritsema

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
And I am pretty sure that even though the 2009-10 use an SD card, the 09-10 only utilizes a single SD card so transferring a route over to the onboard navi wont work either. Transferring routes only works on the 2012 on up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks Honda for your forward thinking on your bike electronics! :frown2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maps for different areas of the United States in Garmin format can be found at the following link. The maps are updated monthly and contain POIs. I have been using this site for years and have had no problems.

http://www.raumbezug.eu/osm-garmin.htm#

21 - 30 of 30 Posts