GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New wing owner here ...

I've read the front tire rides/wears better with 39 (or 41) lbs of pressure as opposed to the book recommendation of 36 ...
... debate about that idea is not the question.

I've got two different air pressure gauges (not cheap ones) and they don't measure within 3.5 lbs of each other ...
i.e. use my ol' trusty gauge and inflate to 40 psi measured then check with my new gauge and it reads 36.5
:roll:

The question is:
Where (or how) does one get an air pressure gauge calibrated to within 1lb accuracy?
It seems like a very finely calibrated pressure gauge would be a necessity if you wanted to run your tire pressure at 39 instead of 36.

thanks as always,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Dennis
I have a digtial gauge from Canadian Tire that is calibrated to +or- .5 psi. It will also recalibrate itself with the push of a small button on the back. I believe I payed $26 for it. The brand name is Accu Gauge.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I, too, have the Accu Gage (analog model). Very accurate these past seven years and has never needed adjustment. Just treat it well (no dropping or throwing it around the shop). I have the calibration checked by an NIST certified calibration lab (aerospace) every year. They have a calibrated pressure gage that they compare it to. Best accurate analog tire gage for the price IMHO.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Cal-D said:
Dennis
I have a digtial gauge from Canadian Tire that is calibrated to +or- .5 psi. It will also recalibrate itself with the push of a small button on the back. I believe I payed $26 for it. The brand name is Accu Gauge.
How do you know it's correct? Where is the standard that you are using?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Jobber Jim said:
I, too, have the Accu Gage (analog model). Very accurate these past seven years and has never needed adjustment. Just treat it well (no dropping or throwing it around the shop). I have the calibration checked by an NIST certified calibration lab (aerospace) every year. They have a calibrated pressure gage that they compare it to. Best accurate analog tire gage for the price IMHO.
how much does it cost you to get it checked?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Tire Pressure

Just a note about tire pressure.....
It is widely recommended to keep 40 psi in front and 41 psi rear.

My local Honda Dealership Service Dept. keeps a Hints & Tips dry-erase board where they post useful tid-bits of wisdom.
Recently posted for GL1800 owners........
Check your tire pressure often! 41 psi Front & 42 psi Rear.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Calibration is free for me. My company has an ISO/IEC 17025 (A2LA) accredited calibration lab. Go to your phone book or computer and search for a calibration lab nearby. Just about every aerospace company is or uses one. Get a price quote. Most labs will charge anywhere from $25 to $35 dollars per gage (which includes adjustment). Precise Cal (St. Pete, Florida), A1 Calibration (Hialeah, Florida) and TMI (Mirimar, Florida) in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
My two biggest questions in life are: How can one tell if a temp gauge is accurate? How can one tell if an air pressure gauge is correct. If you have 10 different tire gauges, most of the time they will show 8 out of 10 different. I use a tire gauge everyday with work. I have 3 of them in my van, one that attaches to my air suplly line and 2 others. All 3 show different readings. For the Wing I have an Accu Gauge type that has a hose and a relief button. I think its pretty accurate. Where or how can you determine if its accurate? I ponder on this thought alot. LOL

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Jobber Jim said:
Calibration is free for me. My company has an ISO/IEC 17025 (A2LA) accredited calibration lab. Go to your phone book or computer and search for a calibration lab nearby. Just about every aerospace company is or uses one. Get a price quote. Most labs will charge anywhere from $25 to $35 dollars per gage (which includes adjustment). Precise Cal (St. Pete, Florida), A1 Calibration (Hialeah, Florida) and TMI (Mirimar, Florida) in my neck of the woods.
Thanks for the tip. I have an old Snap-on dial pressure guage that I use as a standard. That one would be worth calibrating.

G

·
Toyo said:
My two biggest questions in life are: How can one tell if a temp gauge is accurate? How can one tell if an air pressure gauge is correct. If you have 10 different tire gauges, most of the time they will show 8 out of 10 different. I use a tire gauge everyday with work. I have 3 of them in my van, one that attaches to my air suplly line and 2 others. All 3 show different readings. For the Wing I have an Accu Gauge type that has a hose and a relief button. I think its pretty accurate. Where or how can you determine if its accurate? I ponder on this thought alot. LOL
My answer on this is to select one that's easy to use and easy to read, and go with that.
I don't know any accurate measuring device for air guages.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Tire pressure is very important to me. To find out if my gauge is accurate I compare the readings I get with about five other gauges. Then I pick the ones that I get the same reading. Then I check that gauge with my friends at work. No I'm not crazy, I just need someplace to verify at least one correct gauge.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Don't concern yourself with accuracy.

I know, some of you are reviving from a coronary right now, but really, it's not accuracy that's really improtant to a Wing rider. Repeatability is more the issue.

All the gages are accurate enough to give you reasonable wear. Keep adjusting your air pressure until you find a pressure you are comfortable with. Then keep using the same gage and you will have great results.

If you want to really have an accurate tire gage, you will have to spend more money than it's worth. I have a full Metrology Lab available to me and I don't waste my time calibrating my gage. The Accu Gage will serve you well.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
nedro
If the company claims the gauge is calibrated to within .5 psi, then I guess I just believe that their claim is true, just the same way I trust the tire company to make my tires to spec, same way I trust the company the makes my brake parts, hoping that the pads do not de-laminate the first time I hit the brakes hard. ???????????? You have to trust somebody.

The gauge is calibrated at the factory and they guarantee it to be within + or - .5 psi. When I first bought it I checked it against our test table at work and found it to be within the factory specs. As for the gauge recalibration itself, I would assume all it does is to reset the absolute zero value which, as we know will change dependent on weather and elevation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts