GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a three week camping/hoteling trip out west in late spring. This is my retirement present to myself. I will be going alone which brings me to my question. How does the majority of you fellows, whom I have come to respect very much, feel about carrying a gun with you when you are on extended trips and a long way from home? First off, I have never been in trouble for anything (my mother may dispute that) so I am not looking for any kind of trouble. Has anyone been in a position when it would have been nice or am I just thinking foolishly? I figure if you put it some place where nobody will find it you may as well forget about using it. I am wondering especially when I am out camping alone. There is always safety in numbers, I know but this trip is just something I want to do for myself. What do you think? Forget it or not? I appreciate the honest responses I know I will receive. Thanks. :?:

G

·
0 Posts
I've took 3 months and travled 21 states and 23,000 miles, never once did I ever feel threatned or in need of a weapon. I don't let myself get into situations that I can identify as potential trouble. I stayed at good quality motels and campgrounds. I spent a lot of time on indian reservations and also never had any trouble though some of the locals advised against hanging around them after dark. Maybe i was just lucky ??

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've traveled all of the western states - never felt the need for a firearm. If you should decide you wanted to go into Canada, you would not be allowed to take it in. If you feel the need for protection, give any one of us a call - we would be happy to ride along for a while.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As a retired LEO I would advised not to carry a weapon. Just be smart and aware of your surroundings. I have ridden the four corners of the USA, made lots of solo trips around the western USA and up to Alaska with no problems. Plus as others have commented, if you want to cross into Canada there will be a big problem, it's illegal. If you carry a firearm, you have to keep track of it, it limits what you can do. No wearing tee shirt and shorts without hiding it or where do you leave it if camping? I have a concealed weapons permit, but it's only legal in Washington, although it would probably be honored in other states. But even having that edge, I would not carry a weapon out of state. Very seldom do I carry it anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not a good idea

You can't do that because from state to state there may not be reciprical rights to carry a weapon. I carry a weapon with me most of the time but only in my state. Elsewhere, no. Bring a big ol' pocket knife if you feel the need.

Woody

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A friend of mine said: "the majority of the non-motorcyclists think that all bikers carry guns so they won't bother us" I have felt safe riding alone, and unarmed, since that day and have never had a problem with anyone intending to do me harm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have traveled all over this country on my bike. The only time I felt uncomfortable was when I was in a bar that I knew I should have stayed out of. It's pretty easy to figure out what areas to stay out of after dark. Just use good ole common-sense and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Gun

I would have to agree with the others, I would leave the gun at home it is more trouble then its worth, just be aware of your surroundings and stay away from bad areas and I think you will be fine. Have never had the need for a gun while traveling, Plus that 1800 and Valk will out run most bad characters anyway.LOL Happy travels to you and enjoy. :D :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Im gonna give you another viewpoint. I never go anywhere w/out having a weapon on me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well I HAVE been a situation where it saved us.
The wife needed a pit stop so I pulled into a rest area that was one way in and out. while we were standing by the bike a car pulled in and turned sideways blocking the exit. Three very shody looking guys got out of the car. Two guys had beer in thier hands the other had somthing else I couldn't make out, but I think it was a knife.
When they started laughing and walking toward us I went to the trailer took out the 40 and made it clear I loaded the clip! They turned went back to the car and left.
Only once in all the years of having it did I have to pull it out, but I was glad to have it that time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It depends on where you are going.

Many states have reciprocal laws...assuming you have a carry license in your state. Others could give you a hard time even if you're passing through. You can legally take your firearm through any state under the 'Federal Firearms Owner's Protection Act'. You must be legally entitled to possess the firearm in the state of your origin and the state of your destination. Also, you may have to keep the firearm unloaded and locked in a compartment when traveling through certain states. Check the NRA website for details.

As for the camping part of your trip...I feel especially venerable when camping alone, so I understand your concern. However, be aware National Parks have their own stringent set of rules regarding firearms. (And don't even think about taking a handgun into Canada.)

I've taken firearms with me on some trips, but have left them at home on most. It just depends on the circumstance. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. However, I never break any firearm laws.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I've never felt the need for a gun either. There have been times that if I had one I may have used it on a driver who had no right to be on the road. So, it's probably a good idea that
THEY WONT LET ME CARRY A GUN!!! :crew:

But, if it will make you feel better, take it with you in a shoulder holster. Better to have it and not need it than need it and ...

IT'S YOUR RIGHT!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If you can do it legally, then by all means carry it with you. If it would be illegal on any portion of your trip, then forget about it.

NY is pretty strict about "Legal Firearms" This last deer hunting season, they locked up a NJ hunter, that was carrying a .38 without a NYS carry permit, however he was legal 12 miles down the road in NJ.

The hassle just ain't worth it.

Bulldog

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Wife and I travel all over the western part of this continent.
Sometimes we have one in the local state, rarely in adjoining
states, and NEVER in Canada.

Also, we have never felt threatened, even in some of the
places I would have prefered not to be. But there are some
eastern areas I would not want to be, even if accompanied by
the A team.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said here, however:

If you have a CCW permit: you may take your weapon with you if your on your way to some type of competition ( like an IPSC shoot ) however the weapon and ammo MUST BE SEPARATED.

Heres the thing, 95% of the time the weapon will be locked away ( there are quick access safes you can get, I have one bolted to the floor of my service truck, 5 buttons and a couple of pushes and it in my hand, the whole process takes less than 5 seconds ) the only time you really are going to want to have the weapon ON/WITH YOU is at night, thats when your going to be most vulnerable, get up in the morning and put it back in the safe.

I have a CCW permit for NY state and I carry my gun almost all the time, because I'm a contractor and SOMETIMES (for whatever reason) some folks insist on paying me in cash, and it can be a lot of cash. ( I never argue with anyone that wants to give me cash :D )

I have only needed my gun twice ( once the cops yelled at me for NOT shooting the bad guy, but thats another story ) and once when some nut case was going to try and car jack me ( hehehehe, I changed his mind~~~quick ) :D

But Like I said, you will probably only want it at night.

BTW: I am competition shooter~~~ I burn through 6000-8000 rounds a year. Depending on how many shoots I go to

just MHO

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that, (at least where a car was concerned) that a firearm could be carried, but must be in plain sight. The ammo must be carried in the trunk. I think if I had one I would go with the comment of " better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have it". Maybe even more so today than yesteryear?

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Oh the joys of having an opinion.

First of all it isn't a decision based on need. For example, you don't need to wear safety gear, you don't need to wear cold weather clothes when it is 75 degrees outside. But if you suddenly find yourself bouncing along the pavement you NEED that safety gear and if you are driving along and the temperature starts to drop, then you need your cold weather clothing. My point is this; you don't require anything until you need it and if you ain't got it then it's too late.

Now as to those who believe they will avoid 'trouble' well I'm sure the passengers on the aircraft used in the attacks of 9-11 were well sure they weren't in a place of trouble.

Enough said I'm afraid I get just a little emotional whenever this subject comes up. You see just as my helmet and gear have saved my life when I bounced along Mother Earth so too has the presence and/or the impression of the presence of firearm kept me from trouble. If you choose to avoid any place then avoid those places that would deny you your ability to protect yourself.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Some states will reconize another state's CCW permit, others don't.

In Az it is quite common for folks to carry loaded firearms and legal on the hip or with a CCW. If there is a sign "No firearms" or you are asked to leave a business, a lawful person obeys this

I've only drawn down on one fellow in 20+ years. At the time I carried a Dan Wesson 8 inch heavy barrel 357 in the mid 1980's . The guy altered his attitude quickly. it involved a car (mine) he thought he wanted as I sat in it.

I would suggest checking some of the web sites that offer state to state firearm information on local laws about carrying a loaded firearm. Then call the state to confirm the inforamtion.

An unloaded firearm is useless

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i wouldnt carry a gun in fear of getting in trouble with law officers. i go to a lot of air museums that are on federal property and firearms are not allowed.

i would be more afraid of the local barney fife over reacting than a probolem with a bad guy.

as a precaution, i carry little cash, a couple credit cards of which i stash one here and there just in case. stick to the beaten trail, park in plain sight of others, etc.

yes there is safety in numbers and i always find a nice shinny bike draws a lot of friends.

loren

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
A good crook will usually make sure he has the upper hand before attempting to cause trouble,your firearm will likely be of no use in most cases and even more trouble in others. Good common sense is your best defence. I have traveled all 48 states and all major cities many times and have seldom wished I had a gun handy,yes I have been lucky also.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts