GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody: I bought Mojoman's 03 Wing with 127K miles. A set of Fred's videos came with the deal. I noticed that the preload does not seem to activate until number 11. So, I decided to take a crack at fixing it myself by following the videos step by step in the garage with my laptop next to me. Well, that was six hours ago and I have redone the procedures four complete times with the following result, I also have traxxion fork springs and a ride on/off centerstand, the unit really doesn't start to activate until 16/17 and when it reaches 25 the bike becomes dangerously unsteady on the centerstand rocking back and forth sideways, could easily go over. I measured the new height and I'm getting a good 1 1/4 more height which is double what I got before. So there must still be air in the line somewhere. When I back off the preload everything is stable again. Does anyone have an idea what I did wrong and is the bike unsafe to ride until I get this figured out. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give me. I'm not a quitter but this one has me stumped.
Thanks
Steve :confused:
Denver

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
it's the center stand issue

Ahh, the mile high city - it's the lack of available oxygen that's causing the problem. :joke:

Seriously though, the problem is two fold. 1st minor item is you didn't properly fill the actuator, as you aren't getting loading until 16/17, you should get loading basically immediately if you've got it filled right. One thing to check is make sure you didn't lose fluid from the line, other is to not tighten the casing down all the way until after you fill it.

Now regarding the wobbly stand, the problem is the ride-off stand. With the pre-load down low, the bike sits on the centerstand and the front tire. Because the ride-off stand is a shorter stand, when you apply preload it lowers the rear tire (when on the center stand, raises the rear end when the tire is on the ground already). As it lowers the rear tire, the tire makes contact with the ground and starts to raise the rear end which now makes the bike be balanced on the front and rear tire against the ground, with the centerstand no longer being the main resting point.

So you end up with the stand trying to act like your legs when you are stopped at an intersection, trying to keep the bike upright except they are fixed height, closely spaced tiny sticks. T'ain't gonna work. The bike will fall over.

Three options available for you that I can think of offhand. One is to put the original stand back on. Two is to remember to lower your preload before trying to put on the current stand (you'll remember easier after the first time you have the bike fall over on it's side :22yikes:). Third is to put a spacer shim under where the stand bolts to the frame to increase the effective height of the stand, but that kind of takes you back to option one.

Your bike is safe to ride, you just don't have the full range of your preload, which is what the vast majority of the bikes out there have if they haven't done the pre-load adjuster refill. No big deal there, mine didn't used to start till 16 also. The only danger you have is if you try to use the center stand with the preload set high. So either lower your preload or use your side stand.

Happy biking.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
You can't test the preload with the bike on the center stand. The bike has to be free standing and with the suspension loaded.

Set the preload to zero. When you press the up button, the motor should begin to labor within about 1 second. If it does, there is no air in the system.

The preload is only capable of lifting the bike about 1 inch. That is actually quite a bit.

The problem with the bike being unsteady on the center stand is not caused by the preload, or your bike. You have a center stand that is simply too short.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You can't test the preload with the bike on the center stand. The bike has to be free standing and with the suspension loaded.

Set the preload to zero. When you press the up button, the motor should begin to labor within about 1 second. If it does, there is no air in the system.

The preload is only capable of lifting the bike about 1 inch. That is actually quite a bit.

The problem with the bike being unsteady on the center stand is not caused by the preload, or your bike. You have a center stand that is simply too short.

My thoughts also. If you are getting 1 1/4 inch rise in the rear, you probably have it right.

On a side note, mine now starts to labor between 2 and 3 after the R&R. It could have been better, but plenty good enough. :thumbup:

Put it on the sidestand and see if you get the same results.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts