GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks: Thanks to those of you that helped me solve my preload problem. It works fine, the problem is with my Baker Built Ride On ctr stand. I installed Traxxion fork springs and fixed my preload adjuster resulting in the bike sitting much higher when the preload is set to 25. That's ok but now the bike rocks precariously side to side on the ctr stand. The right foot is a good 3/8" off the ground when the preload is set to 25, hence the rocking. I'm sure it would be easy to knock it over. When I back off ther adjuster all is fine. I'm thinking of contacting Wingstuff for a solution but first does anyone know of a fix for this issue? Has it happened to any of you. BTW, the bike tracks much smoother with the springs and fork brace. Didn't do the bearings since they were fine. Thanks for your advice. This is a great forum!!
Steve
Denver

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My first inclination would be to weld a 1/8" thick metal plate to the bottom of each leg of the stand. That would get you pretty close to the being fully supported at the maximum shock setting. A plate that thin would be easy to bend to fit the curve of the stand and you could tack weld it in place.

Jeff...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You could just back off the preload when parking it. It does not hurt to unload the spring especially if being left in the garage. I leave mine on zero for storage. (week or longer between rides).

Trev.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Steve,

If I've followed your post correctly, you replaced the stock fork springs with Traxxion springs. I've done this too and one thing that I noticed is the bike sits noticeably higher because these springs have much less static sag. This is part of the reason that Traxxion instructs you to raise the fork tubes 10 mm in the triple clamps. Did you perform this step?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Folks: Thanks to those of you that helped me solve my preload problem. It works fine, the problem is with my Baker Built Ride On ctr stand. I installed Traxxion fork springs and fixed my preload adjuster resulting in the bike sitting much higher when the preload is set to 25. That's ok but now the bike rocks precariously side to side on the ctr stand. The right foot is a good 3/8" off the ground when the preload is set to 25, hence the rocking. I'm sure it would be easy to knock it over. When I back off ther adjuster all is fine. I'm thinking of contacting Wingstuff for a solution but first does anyone know of a fix for this issue? Has it happened to any of you. BTW, the bike tracks much smoother with the springs and fork brace. Didn't do the bearings since they were fine. Thanks for your advice. This is a great forum!!
Steve
Denver
Steve,

I have a 70 Series E-3 rear tire which is 3/4" to 1" taller than a 60 Series rear tire. Consequently the rear tire does not spin when on the center stand.
In order to inspect the tire (which I do frequently) I carry a 3/4 " piece of wood to place under the center stand to allow the tire to spin while on the center stand. For me it raises it up sufficiently. I use the same piece of wood from time to time under the side stand when on soft surfaces.

As a side note the bike goes up on the center stand quite easily with the taller tire.

RJ

·
Registered
239 Posts
You could just back off the preload when parking it. It does not hurt to unload the spring especially if being left in the garage. I leave mine on zero for storage. (week or longer between rides).

Trev.
Trev,

This sounds like a good idea. Is this a Honda recommendation?
Will this help preserve the hydraulic seals or something similar?

Curious

RJ

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Trev,

This sounds like a good idea. Is this a Honda recommendation?
Will this help preserve the hydraulic seals or something similar?

Curious

RJ
Not sure about a Honda reccomendation but having a high loading on components uneccessarily bothers me. I also leave the trunk "unlatched" to aid the seals in retaining their shape. (not compressed for long periods when not riding). But hey, that's just my way of thinking.

Trev.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts