GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds crazy but I have been keeping a close eye on running 91 octane BP gas (ethanol free) and 87 octane regular, or so it says anyway, "ethanol free" and I have notice a huge difference in fuel efficiency. I'm talking 7 to 10 miles per gallon. I'm getting fuel from the same gas station by a major interstate so I can be reasonably assured the gas is fresh in both cases. It was 88 degrees today and I got back from my usual back road ride with a fresh tank of premium 55-65 mph constant and got 53.7 MPG with the regular unleaded 87 octane 43.3 is the best I can do. It it just me or does the computer make better use of premium? I was happy to finally have a vehicle that ran on just plain old regular gas but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
We only have a 2008 Airbag but I did the same thing and noticed essentially the same gas milage (altough the money in my wallet drained faster). However as they say YMMV.

·
Registered
447 Posts
In an older engine or when pinging occurs, a higher level octane is beneficial ie go to an 89. However there is no mileage increase strictly due to a higher octane level in a properly running engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would guess maybe the pump is just not labeled that it has ethanol on the lower 87 octane. It's gotta be the difference, Wow what a difference non-ethanol fuel makes from a mileage perspective. I know I go out of my way to never put corn gas in anything, not even the lawnmower.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
However I did this test several years ago. FWIW, we own a 2008 but it was all new in June 2010 with just four miles. I chose that page because most of the driving was in town except going out to Bushnell which on back roads meant great gas milage. The top half of the page is 93 octane and the bottom half is 87.

I of course would love ethanol free gas but I also follow the theory of top tier gas (Google it). None of the Top Tier gas stations in this area are also Ethanol free. However as of this test I had not "discovered" top tier gas.

I have noticed some other things such as nowdays I think I get about 1-2 mpg less than I used to. I don't think I twist the writst any harder but now we (only) have about 70K miles.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Looking at the science seems to be unpopular these days, but E10 contains about 3% less BTU than E0 so an attributed 3% less mpg. 3% of 53.7 is 1.6 so using E10 you should get about 52 mpg an insignificant difference.

There is no difference in BTU between 87, 89, 91 octane fuel.

There is a difference in BTU in States that have a winter grade fuel and a summer grade fuel, and that difference is regulated.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mileage will always change due to the fact you don't know how much gas you are putting in when filling up. Unless you fill it to the very tip top of the tank.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I now have a "trike" ,,,Last season when it was still 2 wheels I got approx 46 mpg NOW that it was triked (and riding dbl) and riding slow and easy I just fill it, and calc. approx 42 mpg....So I'm still happy (using reg fuel)

Ronnie

·
Administrator
3,575 Posts
If you’ll keep a longer term record I bet you’ll find that there is no significant, or even noticeable, difference between mileage with regular and premium gasolines.

Try keeping good records for maybe 10 fillups of regular gas, then switch to premium gas for the next 10 tanks. It is important to try to keep the conditions (riding style, weight, route, temperature, etc.) as similar as possible during the two tests for they have a much larger effect on fuel economy than does fuel octane. These factors are easier to control if you are commuting to work over a regular route instead of pleasure riding.

Compare your results over the long haul and I bet you’ll see very little difference due to the octane rating. The amount of ethanol in the fuel can have an effect, but since the ethanol is only 10% of the mix the effect will be minor.

Glen

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
This bike has knock sensors on it that the ECM monitors, and it will retard the timing if they pick up knocking or pinging. This would in turn reduce your gas mileage some, though I can't say by how much. I doubt your bike is knocking on 87 octane, but it could be possible if the fuel from the station was below the specified octane level or if you're riding in high heat and humidity conditions.

What probably is happening is what others have already said, you're seeing the difference in mileage between E10 ethanol gas and non-ethanol, as this will make a significant difference.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
If you’ll keep a longer term record I bet you’ll find that there is no significant, or even noticeable, difference between mileage with regular and premium gasolines.

Try keeping good records for maybe 10 fillups of regular gas, then switch to premium gas for the next 10 tanks. It is important to try to keep the conditions (riding style, weight, route, temperature, etc.) as similar as possible during the two tests for they have a much larger effect on fuel economy than does fuel octane. These factors are easier to control if you are commuting to work over a regular route instead of pleasure riding.

Compare your results over the long haul and I bet you’ll see very little difference due to the octane rating. The amount of ethanol in the fuel can have an effect, but since the ethanol is only 10% of the mix the effect will be minor.

Glen
Its the no corn gas that is the difference, I have found the same results.
Our local octane is 88, perfect for the Goldwing.
I also use it in my car.:)

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I would guess maybe the pump is just not labeled that it has ethanol on the lower 87 octane. It's gotta be the difference, Wow what a difference non-ethanol fuel makes from a mileage perspective. I know I go out of my way to never put corn gas in anything, not even the lawnmower.
Corn gas destroys small engines. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
This bike has knock sensors on it that the ECM monitors, and it will retard the timing if they pick up knocking or pinging. This would in turn reduce your gas mileage some, though I can't say by how much. I doubt your bike is knocking on 87 octane, but it could be possible if the fuel from the station was below the specified octane level or if you're riding in high heat and humidity conditions.

What probably is happening is what others have already said, you're seeing the difference in mileage between E10 ethanol gas and non-ethanol, as this will make a significant difference.
There is only about a 3% difference in energy in E10 and real gasoline. Is there something about E10 besides energy content that provides additional difference in gas mileage?

·
Registered
145 Posts
We have the 87, 89, 91 with ethanol along with the 87 ethanol free. The latter is more expensive than 91.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
In Texas at least the big cities it is almost impossible to find ethanol free fuel. Only place I have seen is Buckees. I have not tried it yet-just plain UNLEADED

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
When I moved to Arkansas, I found they have ethanol free gas almost everywhere, and it is all I use now. The gas mileage in all my vehicles increased approx 10%. I wish all states offered ethanol free gas as an option at every gas pump, but I think they know that if they did that, E10 wouldn't sell. They only way they can get folks to use it is by forcing it on them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts