GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
When I moved to Arkansas, I found they have ethanol free gas almost everywhere, and it is all I use now. The gas mileage in all my vehicles increased approx 10%. I wish all states offered ethanol free gas as an option at every gas pump, but I think they know that if they did that, E10 wouldn't sell. They only way they can get folks to use it is by forcing it on them.
Correct.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can tell a difference between the 87 or higher, so use 91 all the time, don't get that big a difference in mileage,
have not tried the nonalcoholic. Might just do that as I use it in the old cars I have. Keep riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I started with 91 10% eth out of habit due to my other bikes requiring it.
The dealer said it uses 87 octane,
Midsummer I switched to 89 10% octane
I use 90 non-eth this time of year due to I want non-eth in it when I put it away for winter.
I get 50 to as high as 54 mpg with the 89.
Have to double check the 90 but it is not better i believe.
Never tried 87 yet,
Never wasting my money on 91 again.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm proud to say all my vehicles guzzle the cheap stuff, even my twin turbo lawnmower. No high test for these beasts.

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
JUST GOT BACK FROM COLORADO 85 OCTANE ONLY AVAILABLE MID 40'S MILEAGE FOUND THAT THE ETHANOL DIDNT MATTER ! TALKED TO A FARMER AND HE SAID WHEN THEY USE " WHOLE KERNEL " CORN INSTEAD OF CREAM MAKES FOR BETTER GAS = BETTER MILEAGE ! AND THATS THE "REST OF THE STORY " ! :sneaky::cool:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
JUST GOT BACK FROM COLORADO 85 OCTANE ONLY AVAILABLE MID 40'S MILEAGE FOUND THAT THE ETHANOL DIDNT MATTER ! TALKED TO A FARMER AND HE SAID WHEN THEY USE " WHOLE KERNEL " CORN INSTEAD OF CREAM MAKES FOR BETTER GAS = BETTER MILEAGE ! AND THATS THE "REST OF THE STORY " ! :sneaky::cool:
Looks like uncle found the "caps lock" button.|

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Years ago when I got my first brand new truck (2008 Tacoma V6) I kept a spreadsheet of every fillup for 4 years. Yes, I am a bit OCD. Also, that was before kids so I had the energy. Anyway, I tracked mileage, octane, type of driving, and avg speed. There were a few very clear patterns I discerned from all of that data.
First, octane made NO difference.
Second, avg speed had a very tight coorelation with MPG but you had to understand the type of driving to see it. Basically, lower avg speed usually meant lower MPG because it would indicate more non-highway miles. If I looked at only 80% or more highway tanks, higher avg speed meant lower MPG because I was cruising closer to 80.
Third, there was a clear seasonality to the data. Winter was lower MPG only to pop back up mid spring.
Fourth, every single tank where I noted a concerted effort to keep MPG up was higher than average. Tightest coorelation here. Drive with a light throttle, decelerate early, etc and you impact MPG more than the type of gas used.
I was only able to find ethanol free gas a few times in those years and every one of those tanks had something like a 5-10% better MPG than those in the same timeframe but I haven't looked at the data in a long time (if I still have it).
Every engine is different but I think the basic finding probably apply fairly universally unless you have a high compression engine which would require higher octane. You'd notice a significant drop in MPG with these engines as the knock sensors would be retarding the timing quite often. Wife was not happy when i filled her G35 with 87 and it ran like crap for 1/2 tank. I added some octane boost and topped off with 91 and she was roaring again. Luckily out bikes are not such picky eaters.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a thought: since typically ethanol free is significantly more expensive than regular, is there really any savings to be had?
Nope. Based on my data, a 5-10% increase in MPG would mean it would have to be less than $0.30 more than normal 87. Never seen it for that cheap.
The only real reason to spend the premium for ethanol free gas that i have found is the potential buildup within the fuel system. Not a big consideration for 90s+ vehicles but my 70s Honda 4s sure appreciated it (or at least I did since working on 4 carbs sucks).

Reactions: happyfred

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nope. Based on my data, a 5-10% increase in MPG would mean it would have to be less than $0.30 more than normal 87. Never seen it for that cheap.
The only real reason to spend the premium for ethanol free gas that i have found is the potential buildup within the fuel system. Not a big consideration for 90s+ vehicles but my 70s Honda 4s sure appreciated it (or at least I did since working on 4 carbs sucks).
I was told ethanol gas also can cause long term storage problems. I use non-eth prior to winterizing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was told ethanol gas also can cause long term storage problems. I use non-eth prior to winterizing.
Yep but I don't let anything sit for more than a few weeks since the weather in VA allows for year-round riding (cold but managable). Also, If there's a chance it will be longer I add in some stabil.

·
Registered
447 Posts
E10 loses its octane slightly quicker than E0 so what I do is just before storage I add a fuel stabilizer and fill with E10 91 octane. The cost is $2.40 more than 89 octane and the fuel stabilizer is $2. so under $1 per month for my 5 month storage.

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
SO QUESTION FOR BMW / HARLEY GUYS THAT "HAVE'TO USE PREMIUM WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN ONLY 85 AVAILABLE ?? CARRY BOOST

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've owned BMWs, Ducatis, Moto Guzzis and a Honda ST1300A, all of which required premium unleaded. In the rare ocassion only regular unleaded is available, just filler up and motor on. No boost, and no worries. One tank of regular fuel has never harmed my bikes, ever.

People obssess over the tiniest things.

Tim

·
Registered
608 Posts
Unleaded regular I get anywhere from 43 to 59 MPG. Regularly 52 to 55 mpg on the back roads and mountains around Maggie Valley North Carolina. Current odometer reads 46,400, 2018 Tour.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts