GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass along some encouragement to any riders dealing with health issues. I am dealing with both moderate emphysema and Parkinson's. After more than 50 years of riding 2-wheelers we went to a trike three years ago. Two years ago we travelled from Minnesota to Newfoundland and back -7,800 miles total and this year we did a 44 day trip from MN to B.C, and Alaska and return through the western US, over 9,200 miles. I don’t think I couldn’t have safely done either of these trips with my wife aboard on a 2-wheeler. Going to a trike has been a wonderful way to further explore this world God created for us!!

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Good for you. Attitude plays a big part in how we deal with adversities. Press On is a good way that you are dealing with yours. :thumbup:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Good way to keep riding. I’m sure I’ll rattle a cage or two but a rider doesn’t have to have health issues to go to a trike. I had our 1800 converted to a trike in 2016 and haven’t looked back. I hear all the time people saying “ if I can’t ride 2wheels I’ll quit riding. No trike for me. That’s not ruling”. All I can say is they don’t enjoy riding enough to keep riding. If you haven’t tried it don’t knock it. My wife and I made the switch because of her feeling we were falling at a stop sign. We did drop it once at a stop sign and that one time must have stuck in her mind. Now she has know fear of falling and is more relaxed when we go for rides. So to the naysayers ride what you want or start walking if unable to ride. All us trike riders will be smiling long after you hang it up.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I simply don’t understand some of the negative talk about trikes, I might switch to a trike someday.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Near as I can figure afraid to admit a change. I have not had anyone tell me wherever I go that trikes are bad. If I ever do I’ll just smile climb on my trike and ride off.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Sooner or later everyone starts to wear out. You have to do what you feel is best to carry on. I just finished 2 new hips and looking at 2 new knees to be able to ride safely again. I was at a point where I couldn't move my leg fast enough to ensure I could put my foot down to stop and my balance was starting to be a bit shaky due to weakening legs.

Reactions: cycledude
1 - 10 of 10 Posts