GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my car driving south on I75 near Dayton, OH. Saw a group of about 10 bikes ahead of me, one lane to my right. A couple of Gold Wings were in the group. I sped up a little to take a look (and be envious since I was not riding). As I got close, maybe 50 feet, the tailgunner suddenly pointed with his left hand down at the pavement to his left (in front of me), and then suddenly moved over to block the lane so the group could change lanes. I knew what he was doing so I swerved one lane to the left to avoid him. As I went by I shook my head to say don't do that. His passenger saw me. I don't the rider saw me then, or even before he executed the lane change.:wrong:

Rant over - thank you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
It would depend how suddenly. If there were ample room that would be legal though he should use his blinkers.Drag should move over first in a group lane change. If it was a real cut off your rant is justified otherwise-chill

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there were ample room that would be legal
If there was ample room, I wouldn't have posted. He was endangering himself and his passenger, me, and members of his group.

·
Registered
416 Posts
interesting...the sudden point down like that usually indicates (in my experience) a notice of an obstacle on the roadway/ in the travel path...debris, hole, bicycle, etc on the roadway which requires action to avoid - have never seen for a lane change.

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the sudden point down like that usually indicates (in my experience) a notice of an obstacle on the roadway
That was my very first thought. Then I remembered I was in the car, not on the bike, so why would he be showing me anything on the road? I think it was his way of saying I want this lane, and then moving over to it. Rather than checking, signalling, checking again, and moving when the coast is clear. It may have had something to do with the whole group was not on CB's. Maybe he felt rushed to move quickly because he couldn't talk to the lead.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
that kind of stuff is why I do not ride in groups ever. I'm not going to have some bozo determining when I change lanes. I ride alone or sometimes with one other bike with a good distance between us. If it's a group thing I tell them I'll meet ya'll at the restaurant. that's just my way.:shrug:

Fred

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
that kind of stuff is why I do not ride in groups ever. I'm not going to have some bozo determining when I change lanes. I ride alone or sometimes with one other bike with a good distance between us. If it's a group thing I tell them I'll meet ya'll at the restaurant. that's just my way.:shrug:

Fred
Damn Fred...two posts we agree on in less than two weeks. What is the world coming to :). Should you ever get down this way I'll meet you at the Bear Wallow in Alpine.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Or you ride with guys you trust and forget the formation riding, and protect yourself.:yes1:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tailgunner

I usually tail for my club whenever I ride with them. I do the same thing I pint to the spot I want to occupy. This has to be in conjunction with the blinker and turning my body around to face rearward to make sure lane is clear. Even in group rides I prefer small numbers. Less things that can go wrong. Especially when signals get crossed or theres someone in the pack with minimal group riding experiance.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
No problem with our Chapter as almost everyone has a CB radio. With 6 or 36 bikes, our groups are never more than 5-6 riders. Once the ride captain has announced a lane change, and only when the left lane/right lane is free does the tail gunner signal to move over, he moves over, then announces the lane is free. Then we all signal and move over in unison. It's picture perfect and works very well! :thumbup: It's great riding in a group but it really is alooooooot safer and more fun when everyone has a CB, for sure!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I was behind a sport bike going up I75 one day and he was using his feet as turn signals. Changing lanes right and left. He would kick either foot out to indicate he was changing lanes.:shrug:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've never ridden in a large group, only 5 or less. We try to stick together, but each rider must make decisions for themselves. Front riders responsibility to try to make sure no one gets left behind. Note I said try. We will pull over and wait, flash lights to each other, turn around if it looks like something could have happened, etc. If we get separated too much leaders can pull over and wait and if that takes too long we all know where the next destination is and we can rendezvous there.

Seems like this kind of riding where the tail moves and clears the lane only works well if the traffic is pretty light. Otherwise, it's just too inconsiderate of other drivers to monopolize large sections of the road which can be just as dangerous as any crazy manouver. Seems like if the traffic doesn't allow, or if the situation develops, the safe way is to just break out into smaller groups and all meet up at the destination.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Damn Fred...two posts we agree on in less than two weeks. What is the world coming to :). Should you ever get down this way I'll meet you at the Bear Wallow in Alpine.
If I'm ever in the area(I'm sure I will be at some point) I'll take ya up on that offer.:thumbup:

Fred

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
No problem with our Chapter as almost everyone has a CB radio. With 6 or 36 bikes, our groups are never more than 5-6 riders. Once the ride captain has announced a lane change, and only when the left lane/right lane is free does the tail gunner signal to move over, he moves over, then announces the lane is free. Then we all signal and move over in unison. It's picture perfect and works very well! :thumbup: It's great riding in a group but it really is alooooooot safer and more fun when everyone has a CB, for sure!! :lol:
Sorry, I know different strokes and all that rot, but I had rather eat a pistol than spend a day riding as described. As Oldguy posted, some of us desert rats will ride together but not as a group, more like free form chaos mostly headed to the same destination. BTW, I usually get lost somewhere and sometimes make the destination, sometimes don't.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep I used to ride in groups. For a couple years did that just about every weekend.

Nothing else is as Non Fun and Stressful as group rides. Speed up, slow down, watch the bike in front and the one in back, constantly, not one moment of relaxed riding in a group.

Then one decides to dawdle along, half the group is half a mile up ahead, and one is just poking along. Get into town and they really spread out, will not keep it closed up. Make about six turns, and be just out of CB range. I got to where I would just pass the slowpokes.........oh my.....what a dangerous rider Kit is. Will not stay in formation. ............Darn guys, eat a donut or something, get your geritol levels up, so you can keep up with the rest of the group.

I dunno where they went. Lol!! Really do not care either. I will just go this way.

How about that almost missed the place to eat quick stop?? Uh oh just about missed the turn, no big deal if solo or with good riders, but in a group, better watch the one on your right, his front wheel may be just right for you to clip it in a sudden right turn.

There is not one second of relaxed riding in a group, it is a full day of watching the other guy.

Not fun...........not at all.

Hey road capatan' we have 18 bikes, we are stretched out two mile on the road, do you not think we should split this up into about three groups?? Naw.........it is ok.

Or ya do become the leader of the second group created by traffic and no one wanting to stay closed up , and flip on your modulator and become agressive to keep up...........and one of the riders, says..........ya know tha modulator made me go into a fit, it caused me to go blind. Lol!!

Oh and if you get bored and are pulling into the steak house, do not walk your bike back and forth and throw a few sparks...........just playing ya know.........this guy is really dangerous, and is really hard on tires.

Lol..............:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yep group rides............Not fun. Highly stressful, not a bit of a relaxed day. You have to be very, very careful and it is full time constant attention.

Where did we go.........I dunno, I was watching the bikes,

How about that car up ahead, a full mile up there you can see the car is empty, and has a red or orange sticker on the windshield, traffic is heavy, what do they do.........point at the road and switch lanes. For sure they are not going to see it till they are fifty feet from it, it is called riding ten feet in front of your front wheel. With the tunes on.

Would it not make more sense to just single file , just in case, a poodle is hiding under the car??

How about that jitter bug at the intersections, with the music on loud, tapping their feet to the tunes and you watch them, not a single one actually looks down the intersection, and all follow the leader right out into the world.

Or you are boxed in, lots of bikes cars and hear the scream of brakes. What can you do?? Not a lot , jump off and run I guess.

It is ok I guess, if you stick to the backroads, just avoid main roads and heavy traffic, the only saving grace of it is you are more visible to traffic in a group, still does not mean some yahoo is not gonna pass and cut in.

Nope not Fun.

·
Registered
858 Posts
interesting...the sudden point down like that usually indicates (in my experience) a notice of an obstacle on the roadway/ in the travel path...debris, hole, bicycle, etc on the roadway which requires action to avoid - have never seen for a lane change.
+1...That was My first thought.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I don't do regimented rides for the reasons mentioned above. I also think that groups [aka packs] of motorcycles contribute to the bad boy image of motorcycling in the minds of other motorists.

If you do ride in groups, please be courteous to other motorists, facilitate safe passing by faster moving traffic and obey all laws. Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So Kit, tell us what you really think about group rides? ;-)

I'm with you..

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
So Kit, tell us what you really think about group rides? ;-)

I'm with you..

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
It is ok ......sometimes. Say meet and eats and the occasional group ride. That is how friends are made, how we socialize and all that kind of thing. So the once in awhile thing is ok.

An experienced rider can adjust to it in about five seconds.

It is just that we do get really aggravated at them. :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

What happened with the original posters situation, would be most likely they are approaching a turn or need to go off the road to another and time is short, so they jumped the gun a bit. Such as is with a group, trying to keep them all in a herd. And there seems to be no separate mentality or thinking. The lemming factor takes over or should it be called I dunno what you call it , but it does take over.

Smaller groups, experience riders, hey, let the car go, you can always catch up or pass, not a big deal. Ride your own ride even though you are in a small group. Each rider does ride their own ride. The group thing sometimes seems to not make much sense.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
<...>As Oldguy posted, some of us desert rats will ride together but not as a group, more like free form chaos mostly headed to the same destination. BTW, I usually get lost somewhere and sometimes make the destination, sometimes don't.
Bubba, you don't get lost, you get misplaced... :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts