GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the question. All other things being equal which is the better deal. An '04 with 17K miles or an '05 with 4600 miles? The '05 works out to cost $1400.00 more.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
How do they compare equipment wise? If all things are equal, I would personally take the 05. Of course, I have an 05 that so far has been flwless, just in case I might sound biased. You will enjoy either, and both will provide miles and miles of smiles. (if that 05 is Candy Black Cherry, immediately eliminate the 04 from consideration) Just MHO

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
05 zero recalls
04-several recalls

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
HI....Whichever one YOU like the best!!! they are pretty close to me??(value wise) 1400.00 is a bit much for 1 year mileage is good on either one pick the one you like the most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...chuck

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I am only aware of the frame recall on early production 2004 bikes and the brake valve recall

8)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hows the tires on both, thats $300 + for a set. What about service? either needing schedule maintenance??
The '05 shouldn't need anything yet but the '04 should have had air filter, clutch and brake fluid replaced at 12k and sprak plugs at 16k. I personaly believe all that can wait 'til 20k but might as well have seller do it if he didn't. All that could add or save $$ on the '04. 17k miles is just starting to get broke in, in my book. The wing is good for 100-200k miles. I sold my '03 with 22k miles on it and it ran/felt like new. My '05 has 16k on it and it also feels/runs like new....oops 'gotta replace those plugs and air filter soon!!!!
Check NADA for low and avg retail value.

Steve

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
You really won't go wrong with either. The differance will be in add on's, tires and maintanenec taht needs doing or has been done.

I have 63,540 on my 05 and with the Traxxion upgrade it is better than new.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
#1. Welcome to the board! :)

#2. One model year won't make any difference a few years down the road when reselling. The bike will sell by condition.

#3. A new set of quality rubber installed will cost you $350-400.

#4. $1,400 will buy a lot of comfort items. You'll also have to pay tax on the difference unless the owners will work with you. :?

#5. Buy the one that flips your switch. :wink:

#6. Good Luck.......

FYI.. Late 04's had no recalls.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Red said:
#1. Welcome to the board! :)

#2. One model year won't make any difference a few years down the road when reselling. The bike will sell by condition.

#3. A new set of quality rubber installed will cost you $350-400.

#4. $1,400 will buy a lot of comfort items. You'll also have to pay tax on the difference unless the owners will work with you. :?

#5. Buy the one that flips your switch. :wink:

#6. Good Luck.......

FYI.. Late 04's had no recalls.
Yeah... What he said... Besides, even if there were some recalls on that particular '04 and the recall work was done, so what? If everything else, especially the rubber, is basically the same and color preference isn't an issue to you, I'd say save the $1400 (at least until you start personalizing your bike) and get the '04 model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts