GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really, really want someday to equip my wing with a CB that can be operated with the Handlebar controls. And I understand that the only alternative is the OEM CB. Well the best price I have seen so far is Hal's for $599 plus the added cost of the antenna which is $109 for Honda's and $85 for Big Bike Parts version. Whew ! That's about $700 anyway you look at it. I have two questions. First has anyone seen Hal advertise it for a better price. Or any other vendor for that matter. Secondly which of the two antenna would you recommend works best with the new Honda CB? I understand from having followed this and the original Board there were some previous reliability issues with the earlier models. I hope this has all been resolved with the new units. My thanks in advance to any board members who can help with my questions. :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
http://www.sierra-mc.com/product.php?id=211

I got mine from Hal and I think that is the best price out there. I am using the single black antenna shown in the link. I like it!
Not had any issues with the CB and the sierra antenna is "tuned" for the hondas
bob

·
Registered
766 Posts
Bought the CB from Hal, nobody could come close to his price. I also went with the single Sierra antenna and it works like a charm. I have no complaints at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
CB Radio

:blw1:
I recently had my local dealer install the Honda CB and antenna on my 01 GL1800. I find it opporates just fine. I would certainly advise having a professional install it though. The instruction will have you disassemble half the bike to do the installation. My Dealer only charged me $90.00 for installation. I figured it was worth it.

Pegasus
01 Black GL1800

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I went to the single antenna too. Easy to install (including the CB - did both myself), no drilling holes in the side of trunk, and it was already tuned.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I went with the Sierra also. I think it is better than the Honda, but the FM reception is slightly worse and the AM is non-existent. I installed a stock AM/FM antenna on the left side, but it had to be modified. I am happy with the install, but might have gone with stock if I knew about the AM loss.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Gunner,

I have no experience with anything other than the Honda antenna, but I put CB's in both my wife's and my 1800 this weekend. The first one took about four hours, including antenna tuning, as I was taking my time and doing the measure twice, cut once routine. Plus, I'd never had the top cover off, and my shop manual hadn't arrived yet (got it Monday :D ). The second one took less than half that time! :D

My reason for the higher price Honda antennas? If I had a problem with the CB's, I didn't want to get in a situation where the antenna manufacturer and the CB manufacturer were each pointing the finger at the other, and I would be stuck in the middle. So far they work fine, so maybe that's not an issue.

If you want to ride over to Naples, sometime, let me know, and I'll help you install yours, if you like, or I could pack up the tools and ride over your way if you have a place to work. OR, I'd bet someone in your local GWRRA chapter would have the equipment, and be willing to help you too. It's really not tough at all. :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Many riders including myself like the balanced look of the Hondaline CB antenna.

If you are reasonably handy with tools, it's not that hard to install, I do recommend you get the Honda Service Manual from Honda Direct Line, it will pay for itself in this first use :!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts