GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked on a price yesterday , 08-07-21 for a air filter change. I plan to do this at 25 K due to my riding conditions where I ride. YMMV. On my <17 models I had them changed at 50K..again YMMV. I like do minor repairs and maintenance on my bikes. For me there is too much to get right with a air filter change. I have had my dealer do them and the same tech for 20 years. I value my time more than I value money or the "feeling" of having changed my own filter. Again for those who have the time I'm proud for you. One member mentioned 8 hours to complete. My dealer charges 2 hours and the filter, $350.00 out the door.

· Registered
816 Posts
This reminds me of a traffic ticket I once had to pay... the traffic judge offered me the opportunity to go to a weekend class in lieu of paying the ticket. That class would have been 8 hours on a Saturday. I told the Judge that I had more money than I do time and I will pay the $100 fine. He gave me a funny look, but I had a decent job making good money and valued my time much more than the price of that ticket.
I did do the air filter change on my own time not because it would have cost a few hundred dollars, but because I wanted to. I wanted to learn more about the bike, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this type of job. Plus I was/am retired, so the time was available and I have developed a frugality knowing I live on a fixed income (I'm friggin' cheap :) ).
$350 sounds like a good price considering the amount of time/level of effort required to get to the filter and then to reassemble everything. Also sounds like you've a fairly decent dealer.

· Registered
620 Posts
$350 sounds like a good price considering the amount of time/level of effort required to get to the filter and then to reassemble everything. Also sounds like you've a fairly decent dealer.
I like doing work on the bike or the same reason, basically it's a hobby. Buy, given that the two dealers near me each quoted around $200 out the door, which puts the cheapskate financially responsible part of me to bed quite nicely. If I could combine that service with others, like bleeding the brakes or whatever, then the calculus changes.

I've never had a Goldwing before (I pick up my first one in about three weeks) nor do I have the tech manual yet, what other service items require the removal of all that plastic?

· Banned
830 Posts
I checked on a price yesterday , 08-07-21 for a air filter change. I plan to do this at 25 K due to my riding conditions where I ride. YMMV. On my <17 models I had them changed at 50K..again YMMV. I like do minor repairs and maintenance on my bikes. For me there is too much to get right with a air filter change. I have had my dealer do them and the same tech for 20 years. I value my time more than I value money or the "feeling" of having changed my own filter. Again for those who have the time I'm proud for you. One member mentioned 8 hours to complete. My dealer charges 2 hours and the filter, $350.00 out the door.

@Steve 0080 Why not take a ride to Greg's shop? Parts and labour $150.00 and about 100 miles each way?

· Registered
4,479 Posts
The filter alone is about $50. If I had a quote that low and knew the job would be done right, in a timely manner, and with no breakage of plastic, I might pay to have it done, too.

· Registered
9,551 Posts
If I lived within 500 miles from Gregg, (he'd have all my business) but living in Massachusetts, makes it's it kinda hard, too get there ~n~ back........ (Massachusetts)

Ronnie

Reactions: coonsie and Gaffer

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,230 Posts
I do my own because I simply don't trust the dealer to do the job without scratching my paint, breaking a plastic tab, or putting the wrong screws in the wrong place... or leaving out a push pin....when I do the job, I know its done right.

The only reason some here are reporting taking 8 hours to change the air filter is because its the first time and we take our time being careful while cleaning the parts and the bike...plus most do other things while they are in the bike like change the coolant and plugs, change the brake fluid, basically do all the needed maintenance while your there...everything will go faster the next time as you gain experience with how its put together....this bike is not really hard to work on once you actually get into it.

· Registered
106 Posts
Based on the amount of plastic crap you have to take off to get to the air filter and my lack of trust in the dealer doing the job right, I may be tempted to trade my Wing in for a new one rather than servicing the air filter. The pictures that I have seen on this board of what the Wing looks like after taking all the plastic off is scary! The bike looks like it was layed down at 100 mph and is a complete mess. I traded my Valkyrie in before I had to do the air filter, and I enjoy doing my own maintenance. You would think Honda could have made the filter more accessible, but they knew alot of us suckers would end up paying dealer $350 + for a simple maintenance item.

· Registered
620 Posts
Based on the amount of plastic crap you have to take off to get to the air filter and my lack of trust in the dealer doing the job right, I may be tempted to trade my Wing in for a new one rather than servicing the air filter. The pictures that I have seen on this board of what the Wing looks like after taking all the plastic off is scary! The bike looks like it was layed down at 100 mph and is a complete mess. I traded my Valkyrie in before I had to do the air filter, and I enjoy doing my own maintenance. You would think Honda could have made the filter more accessible, but they knew alot of us suckers would end up paying dealer $350 + for a simple maintenance item.
You're going to write off likely thousands of dollars because you're afraid your dealer might crack a part of the fairing you can't see (if you could see it got cracked you could have them replace that - easy-peasy)??!!??

That's just nuts. Even IF they cracked something, you'd be able to replace it for less than you'd lose in a trade. Your money/bike so do what you want of course, but that's not rational.

· Registered
816 Posts
I've never had a Goldwing before (I pick up my first one in about three weeks) nor do I have the tech manual yet, what other service items require the removal of all that plastic?
So, I recommend you acquire something like these... Feigo 8 Pieces Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit - Trim Removal Kits Installer Pry Tool for Car Dash Audio/Radio/Door Panel/Window/Interior Accessories, Navy - - Amazon.com
(hopefully the link works) Basically, it's a plastic set of trim removal tools. I found they come in real handy when removing pieces of the Goldwing's body panels. Of course, you'll need a set of metric allen head wrenches, a couple screws drivers (Phillips and flat - these bikes really require the JIS style Phillips head to help prevent stripping the head).

· Registered
620 Posts
Sweet, link worked/purchased. Thanks for that! I currently do all kinds of maintenance on my cars and my RT so I'm good with tools.

I'm a horrible writer. What I meant was what other maintenance tasks can be done when removing all that Tupperware for the air filter? If there were other items (like brake or clutch hydraulic bleeding, etc.) then by grouping them together, stripping the plastic would seem most labor-effective for me to do. Doing all that just to do the air filter would drive me to just pay my dealer to do it.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
You're going to write off likely thousands of dollars because you're afraid your dealer might crack a part of the fairing you can't see (if you could see it got cracked you could have them replace that - easy-peasy)??!!??

That's just nuts. Even IF they cracked something, you'd be able to replace it for less than you'd lose in a trade. Your money/bike so do what you want of course, but that's not rational.
Rational depends on the depth of his pockets, like two people live in a five thousand sqft house so if you can afford it and you wish to do it, it is his money.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts