GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get tire prices for my 18 Tour DCT and I believe that only 2 mfg make the exact size for my bike.
I prefer getting the same exact tire size instead of getting a different mfg with a slightly different size.

So I stopped at Chaparral Motorsports, which is a local store to get prices.
They stock the Dunlop D423 and want $259 for the rear, and $195 for the front.
The Bridgestones, they do not stock and would have to be special ordered. That is odd since they are supposed to be one of the biggest dealers around. I don't know why they can't order them direct from Bridgestone.
I told them that is what came on my bike and asked for a price.
The G852 rear is $353.30, and the front G853 is $266.65.
I asked them why it was so much higher and they said because they order from Honda.
I guess Honda wants to make some profit on the tires by buying them from Bridgestone and then selling them to the public.
Then I go to Wingstuff.com. They have both Bridgestones sold as a set for $349.99 with Free shipping.
I know Chaparral will charge an extra $20 if they mount tires that were not purchased from them, but I would still be saving a ton of money.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Rick at Wingstuff is a great guy.
Good prices, free shipping, they are in California too.:smile2:

·
Registered
411 Posts
My local Kaw dealer would mount and balance my tires for free if I paid his high prices for tires. In the end it actually was a bit cheaper and less hassle for me. Drop it in the morning, it was near work, and pick it up that night.

It all depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I went to get tire prices for my 18 Tour DCT and I believe that only 2 mfg make the exact size for my bike.
I prefer getting the same exact tire size instead of getting a different mfg with a slightly different size.

So I stopped at Chaparral Motorsports, which is a local store to get prices.
They stock the Dunlop D423 and want $259 for the rear, and $195 for the front.
The Bridgestones, they do not stock and would have to be special ordered. That is odd since they are supposed to be one of the biggest dealers around. I don't know why they can't order them direct from Bridgestone.
I told them that is what came on my bike and asked for a price.
The G852 rear is $353.30, and the front G853 is $266.65.
I asked them why it was so much higher and they said because they order from Honda.
I guess Honda wants to make some profit on the tires by buying them from Bridgestone and then selling them to the public.
Then I go to Wingstuff.com. They have both Bridgestones sold as a set for $349.99 with Free shipping.
I know Chaparral will charge an extra $20 if they mount tires that were not purchased from them, but I would still be saving a ton of money.
According to Chapparel's website, the G852 rear is listed at $174.97 but is on backorder. The G853 front is $114

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
859 Posts
My local Kaw dealer would mount and balance my tires for free if I paid his high prices for tires. In the end it actually was a bit cheaper and less hassle for me. Drop it in the morning, it was near work, and pick it up that night.

It all depends on the dealer.
That's what I do, too - and my local dealer will match prices on the same tire (brand and size), so it's a no-brainer. Plus it's always a reason to go lust/drool over all the other toys in their showroom!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Cal Coast Motorsports in Ventura has very good prices on tires. I have many times found them close to on line sources.
If you bring them your wheel, they mount and balance free.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
American Moto Tire has them listed at 176.42 rear and 135.24 front with free shipping.
Yup! I order from AMT for tires on all my bikes. They have the best price, and a new date code. I rarely check anywhere else anymore.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I just learned yesterday my local HD dealer charges $150 / hour. I got a quote on a job I intended to do myself just for giggles. He could barely keep a straight face when he told me. ...........

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Try Rocky Mountain ATV/MC 1 800-336-5437 they have the G851 130/70ZR 18 (63W) for 108.98 and the G851 130/70R 18 (63H) for 105.88 and the G852 200/50ZR 17 (75W) for 154.88 and they ship for free.Hope this helps.

The OP was looking for G852 and G853 tires.:nerd:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I just learned yesterday my local HD dealer charges $150 / hour. I got a quote on a job I intended to do myself just for giggles. He could barely keep a straight face when he told me. ...........
And THAT is why his rate is what it is - - - He has to pay taxes, salaries, utilities, insurances, training, inventory, etc. so you can window shop...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
And THAT is why his rate is what it is - - - He has to pay taxes, salaries, utilities, insurances, training, inventory, etc. so you can window shop...
Well I did order my part from him to support all that. I could of ordered it myself online and got it faster as well as received a $20 voucher to use at his shop to boot. ........ so all is not bad. I really am not a monster.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Well I did order my part from him to support all that. I could of ordered it myself online and got it faster as well as received a $20 voucher to use at his shop to boot. ........ so all is not bad. I really am not a monster.
GOOD FOR YOU! I take it back - he made something for your visit! If my dealer can't get me something - and that is far and few times between - he tells me to check on the internet for it and he will install it for me. He tends to match internet prices so I save and I feel I win and he wins.

I just ain't that good of a wrench - so he doesn't have to charge me double for my screw ups LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
FLYBOY1800, you’re near me if you shop at Chaparral... Have you tried Cycle Rider in Montclair? If you buy from them and bring your wheels in, they mount and balance the tires for free. I’ve been buying tires from them going all the way back to my GL1100.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always give my local dealer a chance to match prices and he can 99% of the time. That way if there is any problem with the stuff ordered I can take it back to him and not have to deal with shipping back and forth.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts