GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have mapped out a trip on our Zumo 550 riding our trike from our second home in Laconia, NH through New Brunswick over the 9 mile bridge to Prince Edward Island. Our trip will take us East to Charlottetown, Northwest through Green Gables via Gulf Blvd. along the North shoreline, then North up to Northumberland Light House, South on 11 to Egmont and back to route 2 back over the bridge. We are not doing the most Eastern part of PEI due to time. I have viewed my route on Google Earth to get an actual view of the scenery.

Can anyone who has visited PEI give us any motel/hotel info on that route and any thing else of importance like weather in late July early August, places to eat etc.

We do not plan to make any overnight reservations so we are not stressed in trying to get somewhere and miss out seeing something we want to. Is this a mistake?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Steven and Maria,

We did that trip last year when we went up to Nova Scotia, Newfoundland etc. and it was great. Lovely people, plenty of places to stay (the B&Bs tend to be better value for money) and plenty of quaint cafes and restaurants, you'll love it. We too don't tend to book ahead more than a day and most times we just 'wing' it, have fun.

I see you're from Rehoboth, our USA Trike is in Selbyville, so we're not too far from you (but we won't be there until May !!).

Check out our website for more information on our Nova Scotia Tour blog and pictures which includes PEI.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Funny how life is. I'm doing a similar ride in late August / early Sept. Starting out in Concord NH, then heading up around the Gaspe and back thru PEI and Bar Harbor. I was just going to post a similar question on this very subject, so I will watch this thread with interest. I will also entertain any "route suggestions" for a 1 day loop ride around PEI (must see's etc.)

·
Registered
326 Posts
PEI in July

Forever Young

We did this trip about 4 years ago.
Make sure you take warm clothes. It can be real cold there in July.
We stayed @ B and B and it was great.
Good food and great people.
Enjoy.
txs, F

·
Registered
276 Posts
ForeverYoung,

Suggestons for PEI.

West Point Lighthouse (only 9 rooms - right on the water, west end of island) - but, for your time of year BOOK EARLY. One of the rooms is in the old lighthouse. Very cool. Of the others, only one has windows on two sides. If it is warm, you'll appreciate that little detail.

Dalvay-by-the-Sea Inn - on the north shore at Prince Edward Island National Park. Old line, classic property. Delightful. If you book here, be SURE to book your dinner reservation as well (the RVers fill up their restaurant quickly). Very nice.

In Summerside, the Silver Fox Inn. About three blocks from the waterfront so it's nearby and quiet. Book the Blue Fox room. Enchanting. And, very nice proprietors of this B&B. Dinner on the waterfront.

And, my wife LOVED the Potato Museum on the island. Never have figured out why, but she thought it was NEAT.

You'll love the colors and the people of PEI!!!!!!!

One last comment. The PEIers are interesting. They let you use their bridge to get on the island for free, but you must pay to get off the island. Hmmmmmm. $17.00CDN for a wing, $42.50CDN for a cage.

And, for NH1800

Now to the Gaspe Peninsula.

I recommend you go "up" the north shore, around the tip at Perce, and back the south shore. The south shore roads are MUCH better, the but the north shore is prettier.

Our favorites include:

The town of Sainte Anne des Monts. Very picturesque seaside small town. Great place for lunch.

The hotel Gîte du Mont-Albert in Gaspiese National Park. You'll never believe there is such a place where it is. If you stay two nights, then ride up to Lake Cascapedia. The road up is gravel (about 3 miles up), but a very delightful lake. And, very private.

On to Perce. I suggest AU PIC DE L'AURORE VILLAGE CHALET which is at the top of the hill overlooking the town. Book Chalet 22 - it has THE BEST view of the town and water below. Sit on the porch of your chalet in the morning with coffee, or the evening with a glass of wine. Heavenly.

When you arrive in Perce, be sure to book a dinner reservation as the town can be a bit "full" during the summer.

While in Perce, take a day and the boat over to Bonaventure Island and walk around the perimeter of the island. Very neat walk. About three hours of walking.

The Canadian Maritimes, are in our opinion, magical - our favorite place to vacation.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who Posted here.
Texas Trike we are from Rehoboth, MA. I believe you thought we were in Rehoboth, Delaware?

NH1800 that is a real coincidence. We are looking at end of July. We are right around the corner from the Weirs Beach Sign on Rt. 3 and will be there for Bike Week. Look for a black CSC Trike with the inscription "Forever Young" on the upper trunk.

Retraite, thanks for the inside scoop. I will look again at the PEI layout.

We are looking forward to this trip. Doing NS and NF with this was just too much this year. I may sneak over to NS since we will only be a few miles from the border just to say we were there too. Bragging Rights you know, ah!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Doing NS and NF with this was just too much this year. I may sneak over to NS since we will only be a few miles from the border just to say we were there too. Bragging Rights you know, ah!!!

I did Nova Scotia last year and you're right, it derserves a trip of it's own. It's a fantastic ride.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Get the "doers and planners guide" (I think it is called)
The book lists all the "stuff" to see as well as all the places to stay by town.
Prices are posted along with phone numbers.
Have done NS and NB with it.
Great book.
Getting rooms the day you want one was never a problem for us either.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Forever Young
If you want to include NS. Try taking the bridge onto the island and head south to Woods Island and take the ferry over to Pictou, NS. From there back to NB is about a five hour ride if you take the scenic route, three on the highway.

For travel here in Nova Scotia, order the FREE MC Tour Guide. http://www.novascotia.com/ride/

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Kathy & I are going to ride across Canada this summer (right after the Region J Rally Jul 31 - Aug 2) so will be in PEI around mid August.

Just be aware that the Canada Summer Games are being held August 15-29, 2009 in the Province of Prince Edward Island. That means some extra tourists and probably a bit tighter on the B&B rooms.

From the website: Over this two week period, we expect 4,400 participants, 6,000 volunteers, 10,000 visitors from ‘off-Island’, and over 300 media. Because the 2009 Games will be staged across the entire Province, participants, visitors and Islanders alike will have plenty of opportunity to experience the beauty and cultural uniqueness of Prince Edward Island. Some unique characteristics of the Games include the fact that there will be two Athletes Villages, one for week one, and another for week two, and that the sport competition will be held in over 40 different venues. Our 2009 Canada Games will truly be spread from tip to tip!

Although I'm still planning on just showing up and hoping for the best, Kathy suggests that we book a place that she knows of on the coast from a previous visit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts