GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to find out what service was done or when tires were installed, if brake work ever done, those kinds of things. Bought it from a dealer, always causes some curiosity about previous activity, not quite the same as buying one brand new or directly from the PO.

I'm curious if any one has a source or method of finding a PO. I haven't tried anything yet, don't know if a dealer can/will provide any information using the VIN.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think your best bet it to go to the dealer where you perchased the bike. I dought very much that they will provide you with any info about the previous owner, but they may contact them for you to get the information you seek.
Cant hurt to try.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If the previous owner had the maintenance done at the dealer they should have a record of it. When I bought my '06 used I just assumed that nothing had been done to it so I changed all the fluids just so I would have a baseline to work from.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
If the previous owner had the maintenance done at the dealer they should have a record of it. When I bought my '06 used I just assumed that nothing had been done to it so I changed all the fluids just so I would have a baseline to work from.

What he said.

When I buy a bike I go through it from one end to the other so "I know" where I am starting from.What someone else did or didn't do is now irrelevant seeing I now own the bike.

Yes records would be nice,buy not critical to me.I work on bikes so maybe that gives me an edge what to ask about or look at before I fork over the cash.:shrug:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the dealer call me a few weeks after I traded in my last bike and asked if I had maintenance records I could share with the new owner. I told the dealer it was OK for the new owner to call me and I ended up sending him my excel spreadsheet that I had kept on the bike. It is very common around here for this to happen...........even when trading cars/trucks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Any time I do something to my bike I write it down (Date, mileage and service) on the blank pages in the back of the owners manual. That way the new owner can see everything that was ever done to the bike and it is also a handy reference for me to see what needs to be done next. I do that with all my vehicles, easy simple and the manual ALWAYS stays with the vehicle as they is no reason to take the manual in the house or garage and let it collect dust on a shelf and then forget to send it with the vehicle when it is traded. I always start out with date purchased and miles if any then I also put my name, address and phone number because I think if the thing is ever stolen it may aid in getting it back.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Arn't previous owners listed on your vehicle title? Even if there is a lein holder, you have the right to view the title before and after the sale.

prs

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have been told that Dealerships don't want the buyer of a used bike and the person that traded it in to get together. Don't know why, but figure they don't want you to find out your old bike sold for $13,000 when all they gave you for trade in was $8,000.:-(

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have been told that Dealerships don't want the buyer of a used bike and the person that traded it in to get together. Don't know why, but figure they don't want you to find out your old bike sold for $13,000 when all they gave you for trade in was $8,000.:-(
True, but once you sign over the title, you have forfeited your right to moan and groan about the trade in value. Plus, no dealer who wants to stay in business will give you retail for your trade.:-(

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you know someone who has access to DMV records, you may be able to get them to look up the VIN. Of course, they're not supposed to access the records unless there is an approved reason for it - such as in conjunction with litigation, criminal investigation, etc.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I would ask the dealer. I have been contacted by the prospective buyer of a car, and the dealer contacted me about a bike I traded when the new owner had a question.
It can't hurt if you haven't done it already.
Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts