GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while a person'as priorities change. As with so many of mine in the past, once more they've become more family centered.

Like so many young couples today, our son and his wife need help watching their daughter while they are at work. She is a 7 month old special needs beauty that requires more than a traditional day care can provide. And fortunately my wife and I are in a position to fill this much needed role. The routine for me is to come home from work at 7:15AM; watch, play, work with Loralei; then go to bed around 2:00PM. Been doing it for 5 months, and expect to be doing it for maybe 5 more years.

As a result, weekends are spent catching up around the house and having a 'date night' with Gwyn. Riding has moved way down the list. In fact, I'd be really surprised if I put 900 miles on my '03 this year. Most of that will be going to/from work. And I'm good with that.

To be honest with you, I don't know who's getting the best end of this arrangement, but I feel awfully blessed to be able to spend all this time with my granddaughter. I never knew just how much a grandpa can get away with when it comes to playing with their grandkids. My kids must have had a lot of secrets only they and their grandpa knew because I never heard any 'tales of adventure' from them.

I took this picture of her under my wing with a wrench in her hand thinking her Dad would get a kick out of it. Keep your complaints of her lack of OSHA approved safety boots to yorself, I've already heard about it. :roll:

So, to all you who are going to be putting on the miles this summer, I wish you sunny days, little traffic and alert drivers. Me, I've got a date with an angel...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Family is more important than anything on earth. We need to love as much and as fully as possible, always telling them how much we love them.

No one knows what tomorrow may bring, so enjoy you ANGEL now, the Wing will understand.

I applaud you!

Sam:)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You have your priorities in the correct order. Don't ever change that.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
That's one adorable little mechanic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kudos to you sir. Family comes first and you set a great example for parents who can and will help their kids. Love of the grandchild is icing on the cake.

Maybe, if the wife will ride with you, make date nights a ride-to-eat somewhere fun.

Either way, your priorities are spot on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very impressed by your commitment to family!!! I think we will never regret time spent helping others, especially family! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
924 Posts
Not much to add....we are off to help our daughter and son inlaw out too.....she had a 2 year old and then in october she had a baby.....and then another baby...yes they didn't know until the night before there were TWINS.....she is overwhelmed and we are fixing to have them stay at the farm with great grandma and grandpa and then WE Nanna and papa will be there too.

Have a school kid to help and a part time nanny aswe can only be there for about a month and they will stay on over the winter and my son'inlaw can help with things around the farm. Poor girl is only getting about 3 hours a day sleep and that isn't in a row...she's beat.

So we are off to the rescue. Leave the sandbox of Qatar in 8 hours.....stop in Austria to check out my wifes doctor for her hip surgery (non-invasive) and then on to Calgary canada.

Then after a few weeks I get a break to ride my bike with my brother and his/our friend for 10-14 days.....so I will be thinking of you.

Jer

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Life has a way of putting things back into proper perspective every once in a while. While motorcycling is fun and we all enjoy spending lots of time riding, you do have to keep your priorities in order. At the end of your life when you look back on it, I doubt you'll be counting the number of cool motorcycles you owned or the accessories that were on them.

The things that matter most in our lives are the people around us, not the things we own or the adventures we had. I can not think of anything more important to accomplish than having a positive impact on another life in this world. That is something to look back on and truly smile about inside.

·
Registered
509 Posts
As everyone else has said, you and Jer are making the right decision. Family takes priority over all that is on this earth. Fred H wrenches barefoot, so those booties should be more than enough protection. Enjoy the time spent with those you love.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts