GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode down to Morrisviille NC arriving yesterday to stay with relatives. When within about 20 miles of our destination, bike suddenly shut down. Coasted to a stop and after a few minutes, it restarted as normal. This repeated itself 2 more times before finally covering the last 20 miles. I've checked battery connections and kill switch but no issue there. So, I'm looking for a Honda dealer or private shop familiar with Wings in the Raleigh/Durham area. Any suggstions are greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Reactions: CAWing

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
So, if you tap on, or rock the kill switch from side to side, or forward and aft, it does not cause the engine to die ??? The only time a kill switch should kill an engine is when the switch is rotated to either of the 2 kill positions ... no exceptions to this !!!

When the engine dies are the headlamps still lighting ???

Year and mileage can be helpful ???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not take note of F1 light or headlamps when it quit. I'm trying to duplicate the issue and take note of the F1 light but so far I can not duplicate the problem. I'll do an extended test ride tomorrow and hopefully the problem is gone or at worst, I can check the status of the F1 when it quits. Thanks for all the input so far.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,377 Posts
Did not take note of F1 light or headlamps when it quit. I'm trying to duplicate the issue and take note of the F1 light but so far I can not duplicate the problem. I'll do an extended test ride tomorrow and hopefully the problem is gone or at worst, I can check the status of the F1 when it quits. Thanks for all the input so far.
Model year?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I'd open the gas cap and see if it hisses, indicating crimped tank vent hose. Easy one to eliminate. This happened to me once although not on a Goldwing.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
See if you can correlate the problem to temperature. It could a sensor that is failing when hot.

The suggestion to check the gas cap for vacuum is also good, if the vent is pinched and the gas tank can't draw in air, then a long ride will create a vacuum in the tank, and eventually the fuel pump won't be able to overcome it. Open the cap and see if there is built up vacuum in it. If that is the case it should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No longer in NC.

So, after checking with Team Power Sports in Raleigh and Garner, the soonest they would even look at the bike was "later in the week" for one location and 2 weeks for the other. I understand they are busy this time of year but thought they might sneak a look as we are far from home. Never the less, I decided to do a test run staying close to base to try and replicate the problem after disconnecting and cleaning both battery terminals and rebooting the CPU by starting the engine, no throttle, till fans energized. Took another test run and decided to start for home and hope for the best. So, here we are in Waynesboro after leaving Raleigh about 10 this morning and not a glitch the whole way. Woohoo!!
I'm thinking that Fred and 05nwl may have hit on the cause of this problem, namely pulling a vacuum in the tank and starving the fuel pump. I'll check for a pinched vent when I get home and will run with a loose cap till then. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, makes me realize just how great a fraternity exists on this forum.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
...I've checked battery connections and kill switch but no issue there....

What process did you do, to check the kill switch?

Beside operating it, must Open the switch housing to reveal the 2 screw contacts on bottom side... put a screwdriver on each of the screws and Verify that they are snug. It takes only the smallest amount of looseness on these to kill the engine.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'd open the gas cap and see if it hisses, indicating crimped tank vent hose. Easy one to eliminate. This happened to me once although not on a Goldwing.

But OP says "...bike suddenly shut down..."... where-as if the vent hose were the problem, then it would be a Slower death

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
So, after checking with Team Power Sports in Raleigh and Garner, the soonest they would even look at the bike was "later in the week" for one location and 2 weeks for the other. I understand they are busy this time of year but thought they might sneak a look as we are far from home. Never the less, I decided to do a test run staying close to base to try and replicate the problem after disconnecting and cleaning both battery terminals and rebooting the CPU by starting the engine, no throttle, till fans energized. Took another test run and decided to start for home and hope for the best. So, here we are in Waynesboro after leaving Raleigh about 10 this morning and not a glitch the whole way. Woohoo!!
I'm thinking that Fred and 05nwl may have hit on the cause of this problem, namely pulling a vacuum in the tank and starving the fuel pump. I'll check for a pinched vent when I get home and will run with a loose cap till then. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, makes me realize just how great a fraternity exists on this forum.

Shops that will not run travelers ahead of others JUST PLAIN SUCK

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never had this happen on a bike, but I have had it happen with an outboard motor when I forgot to open the gas tank vent. The motor just suddenly dies, no sputtering or reduced revs, it just quits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts