GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Rivco replacement horn and was excited to install it. However, I could not remove the bolt to the OEM horn on the right side because a pipe is blocking the removal of the bolt. I didn’t want to start taking half the bike apart just to remove a bolt for something not really necessary. After about two frustrating hours, I gave up and reinstalled the OEM horn on the left side. That was also a pain because of the lack of room. I had a devil of a time putting that bolt back in.

Has anybody else had this problem or has anybody been successful in getting the bolts out? I have a 2016 GL1800. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hmmmm, must be an issue with the "GL1800 second gen's". I have had to remove the left horn to be able to get my little screwdriver into the cam chain tensioner on that side. I have never had a problem with horn removal on that side for any of my pre-2012's. You started worrying me a bit because I will be replacing my 2010 horns with 2018/19 horns and remove my failing (again) air horn. I have never removed the right horn, the tensioner is on top and hard to get to for other reasons.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Has anybody else had this problem or has anybody been successful in getting the bolts out? I have a 2016 GL1800. Thanks.
On the 2012-17 5th gens, Honda changed the bolt length on horns to a much longer one (20mm). The earlier years had a tread length of 10mm. The pipe that is in the was is a header pipe.

You might try backing the bolt out as far as you can, reach in and cut it off leaving enough to grab with some needle-nose, spin the remainder of the bolt out, and replace it with an older, shorter bolt. You should be able to install the older length without removing the header.

Part number #31. I might add that to my knowledge the shorter ones never had issues, unless over tightened.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053edcaf870021c54be4f4b/control-unit-gl180006

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I don't know if there is any great difference in the horn mounting between an '06 and a '16, but having an '06 I use a GearWrench brand flex head ratcheting wrench to remove the horn mounting bolt. To get the bolt back in I place a small torn off piece of a paper towel over the bolt head before placing it into the wrench. That little bit of paper towel keeps the bolt in place on the wrench.

Here's a couple of links to the type of wrench I use:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GearWren...hguid=430358bb-c7f-16d0bb2afaa48c&athena=true

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LH812G...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if there is any great difference in the horn mounting between an '06 and a '16, but having an '06 I use a GearWrench brand flex head ratcheting wrench to remove the horn mounting bolt. To get the bolt back in I place a small torn off piece of a paper towel over the bolt head before placing it into the wrench. That little bit of paper towel keeps the bolt in place on the wrench.

Here's a couple of links to the type of wrench I use:

I actually have those wrenches, but they were too wide. The space is very thin on the left side and non existent on the right side. I think I will try cutting them off and replacing them. I will definitely use your trick with the paper towel to hold the bolt in. Thanks!

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
That is awesome! Thank you, GoldwngerGreg! I knew you would come through for me.
That is why I gave you permission to post my girlfriend’s picture on your Avatar!
You are welcome. As for Melissa, I'm enjoying the privilege :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts