GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, you can get an M1 (California's term for motorcycle endorsement) license on a CanAm.
Riding a Canam has almost no cross skills to a motorcycle whatsoever. Proving you can ride a reverse trike has no bearing on the ability or lack thereof in riding a motorcycle. But apparently, they paid enough money to the power that be, to have this loophole put into the books.
Maybe it's time for an M2 type of license for three wheelers. Even then, I think it takes much more skill to ride a conventional trike than a CanAm.

O.K. rant over.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
IMHO it takes much different skills to ride any 2 wheeler (MC) vs ANY trike. Not taking anything away from trikes, they certainly have their place,BUT I don't believe a MC endorcement should be issued to anyone using a trike to take the test. A standard DL is more in order or possible a whole different endorcement.

It bothers me that anyone can take the test on a trike then have full MC endorcement without any of the skills to operate a normal MC.

You want a MC endorcement, use a bike to get it.

Flame suit is on!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Trikes and bikes are pretty much the same except you don't put your feet down and you don't lean the trike. They shift like a bike have front and rear brakes, you watch for the same hazards etc. You have to straighten out a trike to panic stop in a turn like a bike. In the state of Arizona, you have to have a class C to ride a trike, so I don't see the issue.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
C'mon fellas....any motorcycle road test I have ever taken was a joke at best and was hardley tested the skills of a rider.

Seen people take the test on a little 125cc, putt putt machine than go off and buy a 800lb cruiser or worse yet a very powerful sportbike

Basically can you operate the machine without falling over? If so you pass.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In Washington State, a trike endorsement is separate from a m/c endorsement.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm thinking more people jump on a trike with a MC experience, rather than trike experience jumping on 2 wheels for the first time.
Crash statistics show a high rate on un-licensed riders.

·
Registered
55 Posts
C'mon fellas....any motorcycle road test I have ever taken was a joke at best and was hardley tested the skills of a rider.

Seen people take the test on a little 125cc, putt putt machine than go off and buy a 800lb cruiser or worse yet a very powerful sportbike

I tend to agree. :agree:

The mere fact that they have to take some sort of training or testing is better than nothing. I come across people on a regular basis that are riding without any endorsement. I've ridden two wheels and 3 wheels on both a trike and a Can-Am. First let me say that even if you had a separate endorsement for 3 wheelers, a Can-Am handles way different than a trike. Bottom line is regardless what you "qualify" or "test" on, you need to train, practice, (and that involves seat time) on any machine for much longer than any off the shelf safety course offers before you can even think about becoming proficient.

Just my 2 cents!:coffee1:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Those of you on the west coast please ,Keep it top yourselves . all I ever hear out of that group is how to regulate otehrs and then we all lose .
We have enough laws , Wait maybe we should have ilegals with driving licensing so they will be safer drivers ?
Lets just export the people that shouldnt be here . Enough laws to protect ,when do we take it upon ourselves to answers for our mistakes ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
According to the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, Sec.501 If you take your road test on a three-wheeled motorcycle, then your license will be limited to three-wheeled motorcycles.

NYPete

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Don't know about the rest of the country but, in Michigan if you take your road test on a CanAm, that's all that license covers, can't ride a two wheeler with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can't believe what I'm reading....You guys are missing the whole point of a motorcycle endorsement.....It's all about the money!! A M/C license doesn't make you a better operator, it just cost more...

·
Registered
128 Posts

Well, I kinda agree, BUT remember that on a Spyder you can't fall over (you can on that 125) The skill set for a motorcycle is a whole lot different than a spyder. The thought that your can "get you MC endorsement on a spyder and then be riding today" scares the crap outta me. You KNOW some moron is going to get his license, think he knows how to ride and then climb on a motorcycle. Crash......

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't live there any more, but in Wyoming, you can take your test on a trike, but you get a Lic that is only good on a trike. . . . it says CLASS M on it, but when the cops run it, it comes up TRIKE ONLY.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I can't believe what I'm reading....You guys are missing the whole point of a motorcycle endorsement.....It's all about the money!! A M/C license doesn't make you a better operator, it just cost more...
Not missing the point, anything the government is involved in is all about the money.
When I first got a driver licence we didn't have anything but a regular licence to drive a car or ride a bike.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Cam-Am advertises that in Maryland you can not only take your test on the Spyder for MC endorsement, but also if you have a rider training class certificate, you can skip the MVA test altogether! :shrug: :22yikes: :eek: :eek:4:

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Mn DMV showed my wife that there is A:a 125 and less (scooter 2 wheeler), B: 2 wheel > 125, C: three wheeled lic for MC.

Now if you take the msf class they will give you the test at the end of the class and most can pass it.

SO she has a 2 wheel lic and can ride a trike if she wants to. Now the interesting part is she says "why the heck should I work that hard and miss all the scenery" You drive and I will take pictures so you can look at the scenery later, while you and dick have a beer!

Every state is different even Wi now has passed the Weapons permit and it is not a conceled and you dont have to shoot to get a permit. Wonder if Mn will allow receprocity with 1/2 a ccw permit.. D

·
Registered
717 Posts
And once endorsed in Utah you must PAY THE FEE AGAIN every 5 years if you want to keep the endorsement when you renew your LICENSE! NOTHING BUT A MONEY GRAB!

Sorry about yelling, but he got too me!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts