GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the EC platinum lights and I am having to replace the bulbs at a rate of about 1 per month. It is not one specific side. In a little over a year I have replaced 7 in the right side and 5 in the left side. I have purchased the good bulbs and I have also tried the cheaper bulb. No help. I replaced the spring on the right side and it was no help. I have also checked the wiring for possible shorts. No help. I love the lights when they are working correctly, but this is getting to be an expensive pain. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the cure?

Thanks,

Billy

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
bmoore106 said:
... but this is getting to be an expensive pain. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the cure?
I don't know what's 'normal' with those bulbs, but that doesn't sound right to me.

What voltage does your alternator put out at 1500 rpm? (measured across the battery) If it's above about 14.5 volts, that's where your problem might be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you touching the glass part of the bulb with your fingers?(body oil) If you do it will cause the bulb to burn out quicker. If you have touched the glass part with you skin you can clean it with rubbing alcohol on a cloth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
EC

I have the EC platimum series lights and have had them in for a year with out any problems at all.

If you touch the bulbs with your hands then your skin oils will definitely shorten the life of the bulbs.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I remember Lewis from EC posting a response to the same problem. He said the only thing that can cause the problem you describe is weak springs. Give EC a call and let them fix you up with new springs all around.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you touch the bulbs with your hands then your skin oils will definitely shorten the life of the bulbs.[/quote]

No, I have worked with these types of bulbs before and I have not touched any of them with my fingers.

What voltage does your alternator put out at 1500 rpm? (measured across the battery) If it's above about 14.5 volts, that's where your problem might be.

I think this would affect more than just the lights, but I will check to make sure of the voltage.

I remember Lewis from EC posting a response to the same problem. He said the only thing that can cause the problem you describe is weak springs. Give EC a call and let them fix you up with new springs all around.

I did try the one new spring and it did not help. Maybe I should contact them and try new one all the way around. Could have been a bad new spring I received.

Thanks for the help,

Billy

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
try this

I've been running the same fog light bulbs, knock on wood, since June of 2001. :) :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd figure the lights might be getting jard around causing the filament to fail, do the lights wobble at all when riding?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I too used to have a short life bulbs, but since I put on the lens cover, the bulb is lasted for much longer (more than a year already and still going, this is the cheap Taiwan made bulb). I guess water somehow get into the foglights housing and kill the bulbs. The lens cover really help.

·
Registered
550 Posts
had similar problem

Experienced the same type problem, only it concentrated on one side. Was burning them out at about a 5 to 1 ratio on side. First year and half with the ec's, no problems. After that it got quite expensive. I replaced all of the wiring between the assemblies and the battery and the problem seems to have gone away (knock on wood). I did not find anything that looked shorted out, but it worked.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bluewoo said:
I'd figure the lights might be getting jard around causing the filament to fail, do the lights wobble at all when riding?

They seem to be pretty tight with no wobble.

I too used to have a short life bulbs, but since I put on the lens cover, the bulb is lasted for much longer (more than a year already and still going, this is the cheap Taiwan made bulb).

I do have the light covers and they have saved me several times. The covers are nicked up.

After that it got quite expensive. I replaced all of the wiring between the assemblies and the battery and the problem seems to have gone away (knock on wood). I did not find anything that looked shorted out, but it worked.

Beginnning to think that is where the problem is located. Maybe something in the switch or the split to each light. Maybe something is hooked up wrong. What did you use to replace the wiring and exactly where did you connect to for power and ground? If you have pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help,

Billy

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Try replacing the switch, or just shorting it. Then replace the relay. You could be getting arcs (spikes) thru one or the other which may cause your problem by heating and cooling the bulbs repeatedly.

Worth a try.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Billy,

I had been thinking about this on my drive to Chattanooga today and thought 'relay'. Then reading Chets thought as well here today, I think there may be something to it. Lets give it a shot. Send me a PM with your mailing addy and see what a relay swap does.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, PM Sent.

Billy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts