GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a brand new set front and rear, new brakes and fluids.

These new tiress stick so well I'll be wearing out foot pegs and the Tulsa hot foot much faster now.

I know it was a misleading title but what can I say. :idea:

These puppies stick pretty well.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
If you think the E-3s stick, try some Metz. JMHO

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
trialsman said:
If you think the E-3s stick, try some Metz.
Replaced my E3s worn to their wearbars with new Metz, actually noticed no differences. But then again, I only scrape the pegs once or twice a day. Both very capable tires.

I did notice it is harder to balance the bike at a stop, having a tire worn bald is kinda nice, usually gives me at least 3 seconds I can balance without having to put my feet to the ground :twisted:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Sal
I can balance my bike for 2 or 3 minutes with ease. That's right minutes not seconds. 8)

Oh, wait a minute, you're talking about the Wing. :oops:

I was talking about my other bike, a 165 lb Trials bike. :wink:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I wanted to replace my current set of E3's when they wear out (11k on the front and lots of wear left), but none were available. So I've got a set of Bridgestones in the garage waiting for the day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The D250s rode and handle alot better! Nothing but horrible wobble with the E3s! I will replace next spring with a new set of stones. Not very good in the rain or on fresh asphalt! And they make a horrible sound. E3s are also easy to get around here and now I Know why. I would consider a car tire on the back before I bought another E3!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tried the Metz and after 700 miles I had to have them replaced. The wobble was a real dangerous tank slapper at between 25 mph and 50 mph.

The Honda dealer who replaced them put on E3's, he said he had been getting complaints about faulty Metzler tires. He said he would guarantee no wobble with the E3's, and he was right.

I've put 13,000 miles on the E3's in four weeks and no wobble or sign of any other problem, rain or shine.

I'm still trying to get Metzler to answer my emails and phone calls.
Jeff at Metzler said that they had been having some tire problems but that was mostly with people putting on the wrong size tires. He checked my numbers and said they were the right tires. He said he would call be back in a couple of days with where to take the tires for inspection. That was a week ago. I'm hopeful that Metzler will stand behind their tire warranty.

Jeff is the only person who can handle tire problems at Metzler and according to him and his secretary he is spending all his time on the telephone.

I'll keep this board posted as to my progress, or lack there of, in resolving this warranty problem.

I guess is really complicates matters when you buy a set of Metzler tires while traveling across country. It seem Metzler is set up to handle their warranty claims through the selling/installing dealer. This becomes a real problem when you are thousands of miles from the dealer that you bought the tires from.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
aeo1534 said:
The D250s rode and handle alot better! Nothing but horrible wobble with the E3s! I will replace next spring with a new set of stones. Not very good in the rain or on fresh asphalt! And they make a horrible sound. E3s are also easy to get around here and now I Know why. I would consider a car tire on the back before I bought another E3!
You must have a bad set of E3s, I was never so happy as to get the D250s off my Wing, They were the VERY POOR in wet weather and the grip was nothing to be happy about. I went to Bridgestones after that and liked them but I had to replace the rear prematurly due to hitting something while at Honda Homecoming. I now have a 70 series E3 on the back and like it quite a bit. The 70 series seems to have more rounded profile than the 60 series.

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
E3s here,Metzlers will wear out much faster. Besides after 4K the E3s will sing to you :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Metzler tire problems

Update to Metzler tire problem:

On Friday evening Jeff from Metzler tire finally called me about my faulty Metzler tires.

Jeff seems like a very nice person and he actually called me on his cell phone while on his way home from the office. He said that he will contact the Arizona dealer who sold me the faulty Metzler tires and then call me back with a dealer here in Ohio who can inspect the tires. He said that most likely one of the tires is causing the problem not both

If one of the tires is indeed faulty then it will be covered by the warranty according to Jeff. He told me that he is the only person at Metzler that can handle warranty issues and that he has been swamped with calls.

Both Jeff and his secretary told me that the reason he had not returned my call sooner is that his phone has been ringing constantly and that he has had no time to return any calls.

The way I see it, unless everyone is calling Jeff, to tell him how much they like Metzler tires, METZLER is having major tire problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had been running E-3s on my wing until I picked up something in the rear tire and it was ruined. I tried to get a new one when they were all on back order-no luck. I had a set of Metzlers mounted on the bike. I did not have any wobble problems at all, and they felt real good for about the first 6-7 K miles. They are starting to show wear much faster than the Dunlops, I have been told that it is because of the rubber composition. They are great on wet or dry surfaces. I now have nearly 10K on them now, not sure how many more safe miles they will have in them, at least 2-3K at least. Will I buy another set?? Only if the Dunlops go on back order again. It seems that the Metzlers are more avaliable for some reason, and if you are on a trip and only have to replace one of the tires, one may hve better luck with the Metzlers.
I would get 16K miles on the Dunlops and they still had plenty of safe tread on them.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Great White Wing said:
Just put a brand new set front and rear, new brakes and fluids.

These new tiress stick so well I'll be wearing out foot pegs and the Tulsa hot foot much faster now.

I know it was a misleading title but what can I say. :idea:

These puppies stick pretty well.
Well, just don't go riding in the rain and on wet surfaces with any curves or you'll be singing "Slip Sliding Away" (accompanied by the howling tires) followed by a your own few gasps..........!!!!

I went back to my trusty Stones which hold far better in the wet weather, thank you.

DaleC

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
WOW! How our experiences differ. I can see NO WAY the E-3s could be inferior to a 250 Dunslip! My experience with E-3s was good at first and then they seemed to lose traction with use, eventhough the tread was still "good"; but, they were never as poor as 250s.

prs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts