GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent ride my wifes face shield became dirty, I used some 210 plastic cleaner to try and clean it off. The rag was one that I keep in the side bag that I only used on the windshield with 210 on it. After I wiped it down she couldn't use it any more. Now when you look through it has a blurry look. I have tried the Honda cleaner, windex and soaking it in Dawn. No matter what I try it still won't come clean. It wouldn't be so bad if it was mine but of course I had to mess up the SO.

Any idea what happened. Did I use the wrong cleaner? But more important can I fix it?

thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
You may have scratch it using a dry cloth always wash first with wet towel to get the dirt crap off then polish same as the windshield

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
You may have had something like RainX on the rag-which will remove the coating from polycarbonate. If you have certain shields (acrylic ones, mainly) they will survive RainX and most other chemicals made for glass, although they may yellow or fog over time. Polycarbonate (most face shields) is almost always coated, and the coating (as well as polycarbonate) is fragile and sensetive to the wrong chemicals. Stay with Plexus as suggested. Or the Honda spray cleaner. Either are good for both windshiled and face shield. Avoid others unless specificly listed for coated polycarbonate. And use only pristine clean microfiber coths, they are quite inexpensive in bundles at Walmart or Sams.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I only use water when on the road. Any thing else is done at home.
Do you soak it first to soften any stuck on bug guts? That's always been my biggest challenge while on the road. I can never seem to get the stuck on big chucks to come loose and with the wind shield being plastic, I really don't want to attempt to scrub it clean.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Couldn't have been the 210. I wash my shields with all kinds of stuff, and never a problem. It looks like you need a new shield. On a side note, I am glad you call it a shield, and not a visor. :p

Herb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts