GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After opening the packages of the Kuryakyn saddle bag molding I notice the corner pieces were not molded at a full 90 degrees and after thoroughly cleaning the saddle bag surface with alcohol the double back tape that comes with it will not allow the corners to stick very well. They have both come loose a couple of times already.

Have any of you had this problem?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Kikker said:
After opening the packages of the Kuryakyn saddle bag molding I notice the corner pieces were not molded at a full 90 degrees and after thoroughly cleaning the saddle bag surface with alcohol the double back tape that comes with it will not allow the corners to stick very well. They have both come loose a couple of times already.

Have any of you had this problem?
I suggest you contact Kuryakyn they will have a fix for you.

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is a piece of double siding tape that goes on the end of the corner pieces. It holds it in place. Maybe you need a new piece.

·
Registered
11 Posts
moldings

Mine were doing the same thing I had them installed at Rally In Valley in Virginia. One came loose while I was still up there and he replaced the tape it did not hold. When I got home to Florida I took a pair of clamps that I have for wood working and using a towel between each I put them on over night and both have been fine ever since it's been over a week now. It's hard to tell you who makes them I believe I got the entire set at a Home Depow the a plastic and look like pliers with orange tips on them. The size that worked were the largest I have and they worked perfectly. But if they come loose again I will be making a call they are under warrenty I think that they are just not formed perfectly but so far my fix has worked. They sure look good on my Red 06.
Good Luck,
Sean

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kuryakyn Saddlebag Molding

I bought the new P/N 3222 S.B. molding lights with the Chrome lens. I had them on for three weeks and the left side came loose. The tape had stuck to the saddlebag & the trim but seperated from the center rubber part of the tape.
The dealer sent me some Double sided tape and I tried that but it seperated in one day. I then bought some automotive trim tape (3M) and that lasted about 1 week.
I then returned the part to the dealer and it was replaced with a new part that I have had on for about 1 week now.
Each time I installed the new part or tape I first cleaned the saddlebag with alcohol and let it dry then I applied duct tape to hold the part in place for 48 hours. The garage is heated so that is not a problem. It appears that the part has not been properly molded as the end with the tape on sticks out from the saddlebag about 1" to 1 1/2 " or perhaps the tape could have been bad?
I have not had a problem with the right side just on the left side. I hope the new part holds as I think they look good and provide extra lights where they are needed.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
guess I'm going to wait a while longer to order my stuff frfom Kury until they get this correctly properly - not some temporary fix like a piece of new tape.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speck,
That exactly the experience I've had but mine was the right side that kept coming loose. the left side has been ok so far since I mounted it.

The plastic molding process is where the problem is. I use to manage a plastic injection molding process while working in the automotive industry in Detroit.

Not that it should be of interest to most of you but in the plastic injection molding process, the die that molds the shape of a plastic part is designed to stay closed for a specified length of time for a couple of reasons.
One is that it gives the liquid resin time to solidify but if the hot plastic part is not left in the mold long enough to cool then you will get the results that we are talking about.

There are water jackets that run through the dies to cool the plastic parts faster so they can produce parts faster.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the new molding with the chrome lens and it is doing the same thing. I was going to get some stronger double sided tape and try to retape them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
KURYAKYN SADDLE BAG MOULDING

I have had the same problem with the corner of the moulding coming loose from the double stick tape. Mine has been on the R.H. side so far. I contacted Kuryakyn on the phone, and was only told to try some more tape, and they do not sell or distribute the tape by it's self. I purchased some 3M automotive tape and for the past couple of weeks it had stayed put. But I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I bought all of my Kuryakyn from WingStuff.Com

I just got through calling them and they returned my call after about 20 minutes and Kuryakyn is replacing the complete saddlebag set of Chrome LED molding with a prepaid UPS return authorization.

Fortunately, I read all of the return policy which allows customers to return with in 14 days of purchase.

Unless something changes, WingStuff.Com has the best prices and free shipping with $200.00 worth and the best service. I will most like continue to buy from them considering that kind of response.

I don't have to return anything until I get the replacement. What a deal, now that's service.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think I will wait now too...I was just about to order some of these. I think they should look great on the dark red.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
See what messing with chrome gets ya? :wink:

I'm changing out my molding but I'm using candy black cherry molding as an accent color. I bought from them a board member. Should look sharp on a black wing.

Dep

1 - 12 of 12 Posts