GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tire came off a friend's bike. It has 34,308 miles on it. Tire has been on bike 5 years so the miles were put on slowly and mostly on Florida roads with a few trips to the eastern mountains. He said he never felt a thing different when riding. He found it when he was checking air in tires. He runs 30 psi and is adamant about checking pressures. Tire still has 1/32 on the lowest wear marker so has miles left in it. I have been running P1's for over 5 years now and have never experienced this kind of wear. He is not an aggressive rider so he doesn't get over on the chicken strips much. If you are running a P1 watch out for this. Date on tire is 4214 so it was timing out anyway.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Well, what I suspect is that the several runs to the eastern mountains is what did the wearing. 30 psi for the mountains is too low. 34-36 would probably work better. On one of my first DS runs, I learned that lesson. My brand new tire looked like that after the first get together.

·
IronMan
18,731 Posts
IF ITS JUST ONE SIDE TELL HIM TO PUT WALLET IN OTHER POCKET :) YOU CAN SEE WEAR ON CORDS (TIRE) ABOUT INCH WIDE . NOT RUBBING ? IS THE ROCKS IN HIS HEAD MISALIGNED AND HE'S LEANING "ALOT" AND DONT REALIZE IT ! :unsure:;)

• Haha
Reactions: thecruiser

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Let me remind folks that the P1 is not a high mileage tire. It is a light (21#) RF performance tire that is terrific for safe canyon carving, with super grip. Over 34K miles is more than a lot on this tire. And 30 psi only works on this tire if you never lean the bike. That pic pretty clearly shows that someone has been near the sidewalls with an under-inflated tire. If you are gonna lean, like Obwan said, get your tire pressures to 36+. If you are looking for high mileage, get one of the credible 25# RFs.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have seen Monks tires look like that in 5,000 or less miles. I personally have never got 10,000 on a P1. But the are light, soft and grip really good.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yep.. Definitely have to adjust the psi to how you are going to use this tire or it will look like that in a short time. There is not much tread there on the side.
Still love this tire though.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Looks to me like damage caused by low inflation pressure. Too low a pressure can cause damage real fast.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Heat damage from running on low pressure. Luck the missing piece didn't hurt him or someone else behind him at the time.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like everyone thinks it might me low pressure. I don't think so. I run my P1's at 28psi all the time and have never experienced this kind of wear. I never get this high a mileage on them because I am a lot more aggressive rider than he is. This wear is only in one place on the tire and that is right where the valve stem is. He would not even noticed it if he hadn't been checking his pressure. Like I said he doesn't put miles on very fast. 34k in over 5 years. He hasn't been out of the state of Florida on the bike in two years and the last time he trailered the bike up. This happened between the two times he checked pressures. Also, I would say 34k out of a tire is pretty good wear. That tells me he is pretty easy on tires. I would take that every time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Looks like everyone thinks it might me low pressure. I don't think so.
It's not wear, it's the tire delaminating due to heat damage from low tire pressure. Riding style and being easy/hard on tires or location is irrelevant. At a certain point the friction of a tire running on low pressure causes heat. Excessive heat in tires causes exactly what you pictured or worse. Show it to a tire dealer or a manufacturer and they'll say the same thing.

Quote from Pirelli Website.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU INFLATE YOUR TIRES TO THE MINIMUM PSI?
If your tires are inflated to a pressure that is below the recommended PSI (as shown in the manual or on the driver’s side doorjamb), your car will not operate safely. Under-inflation can cause the tire to heat up excessively, which can make the tread pull away from the body of the tire. If this happens on the highway, it could lead to a blowout and a serious accident. There are also financial reasons for making sure your tires aren’t under-inflated. A low tire has more rolling resistance, which means the car has to work harder to move down the highway and consumes more fuel. Well-inflated tires are going to save you money at the pumps. Low tires also wear more quickly and unevenly, so you will have to replace them more often.

I know it's just the tire manufacture just being a downer and no reason to believe them a they are just trying to make more money or some other nonsense, but come on man, look at the picture.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not wear, it's the tire delaminating due to heat damage from low tire pressure. Riding style and being easy/hard on tires or location is irrelevant. At a certain point the friction of a tire running on low pressure causes heat. Excessive heat in tires causes exactly what you pictured or worse. Show it to a tire dealer or a manufacturer and they'll say the same thing.

Quote from Pirelli Website.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU INFLATE YOUR TIRES TO THE MINIMUM PSI?
If your tires are inflated to a pressure that is below the recommended PSI (as shown in the manual or on the driver’s side doorjamb), your car will not operate safely. Under-inflation can cause the tire to heat up excessively, which can make the tread pull away from the body of the tire. If this happens on the highway, it could lead to a blowout and a serious accident. There are also financial reasons for making sure your tires aren’t under-inflated. A low tire has more rolling resistance, which means the car has to work harder to move down the highway and consumes more fuel. Well-inflated tires are going to save you money at the pumps. Low tires also wear more quickly and unevenly, so you will have to replace them more often.

I know it's just the tire manufacture just being a downer and no reason to believe them a they are just trying to make more money or some other nonsense, but come on man, look at the picture.
ROFLMO 😁

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Vehicle tire pressures are determined by a compromise between handling, comfort and tire mileage. 30 psi on that tire on the bike is not under inflated. And 34k miles is outstanding.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
A tire, any tire, even one that has its pressure checked daily, can experience a sudden reduction in pressure causing quick damage to one or both of the sidewalls and tread. That is one of the reasons why most vehicles should have tire pressure monitors and some type of low pressure alert visible to the operator of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
34k miles is outstanding.
I have been running mine at 31psi lately.. I just let it go down with the colder temps to see how it rides and handles.
I always ran 34psi. or it seemed it didn't handle the curves here with psi. any lower but i was wrong.

This P1 is less wonky at lower psi and takes a little more effort in the curves now but i like it better like this. Handles great at speed and just wonky at really slow speed.
I thought i tried lower psi with the P1 but apparently i didn't.

I did not like the Snow Control at all below 34psi. for the roads here. It was really even more wonky after the center wore fast at the high psi. and just not the tire for me for the curves here.

I'll have to keep a close eye on it if we are in the mountains and adjust psi accordingly or ride slower.

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,281 Posts
30 PSI, 30,000+ miles, on a 7 year old tire, you need to look at the number of heat/cool down cycles. With that many miles over that many years with that many heat cycles, the rubber started drying and breaking down some time ago. Look at that sidewall, there's only two things that will cause that kind of wear, low tire pressure, being a more aggressive rider than he's letting on, or it could be a combination of the two. Looks are deceiving, just because the tread looks good doesn't mean it should be pushed over its reasonable usable life.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Possibly something inside the fender well was rubbing against the tire, and went un-noticed to the damage was done. How about a pic of the other side of the tire? Is there a matching, worn strip on the other side? If not, it's most likely damaged by something rubbing on it. No way that's from asphalt contact, or mileage, or time. Unless the mileage was while sitting on the center stand, I'd also wanna see documented evidence of the stated mileage on the tire, or know more about the owner's riding habits. I understand that guy who has accumulated a kajillion miles by going straight up and down the road, gets similar tire mileage, but that doesn't mean anyone else will, since that kinda riding is 'just not natural'. IMHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts