GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a no brainer, but I would like your advice.

I have 13,500 miles on my original Dunlops and there still is quite a bit of tred left. As I was washing the bike I noticed a small split in the front tire. I know that if I had picked up a nail or had a leak that I would replace the tire, but I was hoping to get more out of these tires. On my 1500 Intruder I generally got close to 20,000 on a set of tires and hoped to get close to that.

The other issue is that I am going on vacation this Wednesday and therefore can not order from Hal. I will need to call around locally and see what I can get, I know my local dealer is much higher than Hal's prices, but saftey is my number one concern.

I generally change both tires at the same time and it seems most say their rear tires wear out faster, so if this tire needs to be replaced should I also do the rear?

Here is a picture of the split:

This one is a close up:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I just replaced my front tire at 14,000 mi. Did not replace rear yet, it's probably good for about 2k more miles. I would replace that tire if I was you. Look on the sidewall of the tire and you will find a small triangle. This triangle represents where the "wear bar indicator" is located. Follow the tip of the triangle out onto the tread and you will find the wear bar in the tread. It will be in a spot just like the cut in your tire. Have fun on your trip and be safe. :biker:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would go ahead and replace that one. It looks like you have dry rot started in the base of the tread grooves.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I would not be concerned with the "puncture" , I have the same thing on my rear tire. I would however be concerned with what appears to be dry rot in the grooves. How old is the tire? Tire longgevity can not be measured in milage alone. I had a GL1100 that had 12 year old tires on it, they had maybe 2k on them, except for the severe dry rot in the grove area.I would not take a chance with a front tire...maybe a rear. MKaybe some of that slime like stuff could add a piece of mind, not sure I have never used it. I am sure some expert on that subject will respond.

Good luck. Safe trip.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
That looks like a road hazard, not a defective tire! 13,500 miles the tire doesn't owe you anything. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
As much as replacing the tire hurts, especially when there is mileage left, just do it. its cheap insurance.

I just lost a rear tire at freeway speeds on my other bike. I was pushing the tires so its probably just as much my fault. Something put a hole in the sidewall at the edge of the tread. It was dark so I never saw anything. There was also a little dry-rot like you have...

I'll never know the true cause but I know the result. I lost the arguement and have been gimping for a couple of weeks now. I have a new attitude toward just getting the tires and putting them on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased the bike just about a year ago. If I am reading the codes on the tire correctly it was produced in the 4th week of 2005.
I checked the wear bars on both front and rear tires. The rear has a ton of wear left and the front is pretty close to the wear bar.
I am going to look to see if I can get the tire replaced locally, but with the possible tire shortage would my trip be in jeopardy? If no ties are available am I cancelling my trip? One thing I am not happy about is that I was thinking of trying Stones on the bike next, but now may have to go for what is available.

Thanks for all the help :?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bulldog,
Here is a crazy question. I told my wife that I trust you guys and now she does not want to do our vacation until I get the front tire replaced. Like I said, I am going to look locally, but if there are no tires available or I can not get the bike in before Wednesday would you be able to help me?
This would be a long distance ride for tires, but I could try and get Tuesday off from work and ride out to your place in the morning and ride home after in order to start my real vacation the next day.
I have been to your area for Catscade, but we took back roads all the way, I could make it much quicker via highway. Not sure how long it would take, I am about 1 hour west of Boston, but it may be an option :shock:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
All that we have left, is one set of the new Avons. They were reserved but have not been picked up. Would be glad to help you out.

Bulldog
845-434-1378

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a tire at Venco Wings in NH, a couple hours from me. What a shame, I will need to take an extra day off and ride up to NH on a beautiful sunny day.
Could be worse :lol:

·
Registered
696 Posts
tires

put a new set on .i am now running avons and like them better then dunlop. the hide you save may be yours.ride safe ride long ride on good tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts