GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have the occasional problem of a traffic light sensor just not working when on a motorcycle?
Every now and then I find one that doesn't "see" me.
I usually wait what seems to be more than enough time and just go when traffic is clear.
I try to avoid the ones I already know about - take a different road or something.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There is one right by my house. Like you, I usually wait for one cycle of the lights before I finally look for a safe moment to proceed against the red.

I only have run into one other, it was in Oklahoma. After a couple of cycles (real busy intersection) someone pulled into the left turn lane behind me. They ended up triggering the mechanism.

I've seen those magnet things they offer on eBay to put on the bottom of a bike to take care of the issue. I curious if they work, but not curious enough to buy one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have heard that if you shut off the bike and re-start it, that will trip it. I have not tried it. I'm generally too impatient, wait one cycle, then go when clear.

G

·
0 Posts
I have experienced the problem also, and on my bicycle in a very aggravated form. The 'trick' that sometimes seems to workis to align your bike (be it motorized or pedal-powered) with the sensor itself. For instance, if the sensor is a circle, try to place your bike so it is over the edge of the circle at your side, as well as the leading and trailing edges. I guess this allows the sensor to sense more metal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I used to live about 1/2 mile from work and rode my motorcycle as it was my only transportation. I started at 6:00 am and the light I had to pass through did not start cycling until 7:00 am so I would need to trip it which I never could. I would sit and wait for an opening (blind curves in both directions) and blast across the road. Got pulled over one time after the local police observed me doing this. I stated my case to him and he didn't believe me. I offered to demonstrate it. He sat there and watched after a few minutes of me sitting there silently begging for the light not to change he pulled up behind me and the light changed. We went throught the intersection and he returned my license without an accompanying ticket with a "Be careful".

I know from reading the American Motorcyclist mag that a few states are passing laws to allow motorcyclist to proceed with caution after a reasonable time of waiting at a light. I have also heard of people that contact the local police and have gotten the trip device adjusted. Since getting my wing I haven't been stuck at any lights cuz they didn't "see" me.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
You can report those signals to the appropriate authority. They are usually pretty good at getting the signal recalibrated to sense a motorcycle. Usually within a week.

Be sure to properly designate which lane, direction, intersection and time of day/night.

Let them know that you use it on a regular basis (going to work, etc.) and that it never senses your presence.

You might find an on-line method to report the signal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Engage your starter while you are setting at the light. The starter on most bikes is located close to the ground and creates the magnetic field to trip the light. Sometimes the starter button trick works, sometimes not.

Another thing I have found that works is look for the strips in the asphalt and put your kickstand down on one.

One of these 2 usually works.

Those Green Light triggers don't work worth a sh!t.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Since I got my Wing a year and half ago, the problem has not occured very often.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Get off your bike and push the "walk" button if it is safe.

2. Sometimes you may just have to look both ways and run the light. In some places it's OK to "proceed with caution" after 15 minutes, in some places after 2 cycles. You need to know what the law is in your area.

3. If you fail to trigger the switch, wait at least one more cycle and then proceed when it is safe.

4. Sometimes it helps to kill the engine and restart it just to get the magnetic fields going over the tripping device. Put yourself right over the detector in the pavement. Give the bike a couple of good revs.

5. Turn right and then do a "U" turn when you can.

6. Threaten legal action. Start by calling the street department and complaining. Every week re-check the light. If you get no action, send them a nice professional letter threatening them with a lawsuit.

7. As you approach the intersection, there are lines cut into the pavement where the sensor was put in. The sensor pad is octagonal or square. Put the most metal over the intersection of two sides.

8. Another trick is to put out your kickstand. If you can get the kickstand out, there is more of a metal area to detect. Don't forget to retract your kickstand when the light finally changes.

9. Rig your bike with an electro-magnet under the frame. This is wired into the brake lamp circuit and induces enough of a field to trip most lights.

10. Consider the purchase of a device that will trip the light for you. Two such products are the Green Light Trigger and the Red Light Changer.

11. A new trend is the introduction of special motorcycle boxes that show you where to stop your bike to trip the light. The front-most "box" has additional diagonal lines, with a bike icon painted in the box.

12. Roll forwards and back in an effort to trip the sensors.

13. If you are waiting for a left-turn signal light to change, you can always proceed through the intersection on green and make three successive right-hand turns. This only works with regular city blocks.

14. Some states have sensors in the lights that can detect flashing lights of police cars and ambulances, and will quickly change the light. You might try flashing your lights to see if that will trip it.

I tried the Green Light Trigger http://www.greenlightstuff.com/ on my CB900C because I was running into so many intersection the signal sensors would not see me around my home and work. Not sure if it helped or not as the city did a lot of construction in the areas I was having problems and installed all new signal equipment.

I haven't seen a thread on this subject in a long time, it can be almost as bad as tire, oil and overheating threads :!: :lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
ArmyCop said:
I usually wait what seems to be more than enough time and just go when traffic is clear.
Ditto... 99% of the cops understand this and will usually look the other way.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
This works for me:

Stop as close to the sensor loop (cut in the pavement) as you can.

Step on the center stand and make it touch the pavement.

Wait and ye shall be rewarded...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The round embedded sensors appear to be much more of a problem than those in a rectangular pattern (with the corners rounded off). They are used in abundance in the San Diego area...and what a pain in the arse. :banghead: I have made most of them work by positioning the bike right over the enbedded wires and putting down my kick stand.
:a13:

I have read in Motorcycle Consumer News that those "Green Light" traffic light triggers are completely non-effective. Don't waste your money. All they are is a piece of magnetized metal that you strap on the underside of your bike.
:cus:

I carry a slip of paper tucked in behind my drivers's license. It is only applicable in California but I would certainly give it a try if I got hassled out of state. It reads -

In California, we have a statute that deals with this very situation: Vehicle Code section 21800(d)(1) provide: "The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so."

A sensor that does not recognize the presence of your bike and therefore fails to provide you with an opportunity to pass through the intersection on a green light is by definition "inoperative".
:beer3:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have read on this board that the Tulsa Belly Pan greatly improves the ability of the signal "triggering device" to see your bike. Just another advantage of the belly pan.

·
Registered
601 Posts
A Friend just bought one of those devices that trigger the lights, he had 2 lights on his way to work that just would not trip..
He said this thing works great.
I think he gave about $20.00 for it .. I may be wrong.. 8)

·
Registered
679 Posts
When I worked in airports, I sometimes had to make unplanned visits to Ft Lauderdale International and park in the garage. The sensors at the entrances would not recognize the bike, so I had to use the page thing on the podium. Eventually someone would show up and issue me a ticket and open the gate. Truely annoying. At Miami International, they have free parking for bikes. Oughta be a law.

Ride long and safe..and I love my new low-tech life.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
768 Posts
In Wisconsin the loops are inductive not magnetic. Metal passing over the loops generates a signal in the controller. I work for the State DOT. Send an email to their local office and they will have an electrician make sure that the loops are sensitive to motorcycles. We do it all the time.

Mike
03ILB

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mikalbike, you took the words right out of my mouth. I work for Caltrans here in Calif.

·
Tattooed Freak
510 Posts
this just passed in wisconson

Mikalbike said:
In Wisconsin the loops are inductive not magnetic. Metal passing over the loops generates a signal in the controller. I work for the State DOT. Send an email to their local office and they will have an electrician make sure that the loops are sensitive to motorcycles. We do it all the time.

Mike
03ILB
mike this just pased in wisconsin. starying october 1st.

> Senate Bill 528 has passed and will be effective as of October 1st.
> Among other things including stiffer penalties for right-of-way
> violations and requirements for bicycle, pedestrian and motorcycle
> awareness in driver training classes.
> But, the big one is as follows;
> "Section 16. 346.37 (1) (c) 4 of the statutes is created to read:
> 346.37 (1) (c) 4. Notwithstanding subd. 1., a motorcycle, moped, motor
> bicycle, or bicycle facing a red signal at an intersection may, after
> stopping as required under subd. 1. for not less than 45 seconds,
> proceed cautiously through the intersection before the signal turns
> green if no other vehicles are present at the intersection to actuate
> the signal and the operator of the motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or
> bicycle reasonably believes the signal is vehicle actuated. The operator
>
> of a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle proceeding through a
> red signal under this subdivision shall yield the right-of-way to any
> vehicular traffic, pedestrian, bicyclist, or rider of an electric
> personal assistive mobility device proceeding through a green signal at
> the intersection or lawfully within a crosswalk or using the
> intersection. This subdivision does not affect any authorization for a
> bicyclist under subd. 2."

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've had the same problem at a few intersections, Ive tried lane positions, rolling the bike back and forth attempting to trigger the sensor. Now I make a mental note and choose the best lane for the direction I'm traveling and go when it's safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tn. passed a law about 2 years ago for bikers you must stop making sure its clear then you can run it. Makes sense to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts