GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Version 2 Bushtec deluxe hitch with the isolated plug and play wiring kit. I also installed an EC converter for a four wire system to pull a Harbor Freight trailer that I built. Everything works fine except when I have the turn signals activated and apply the brakes, the brake lights override the turn signal on the trailer. Everything on the bike is plug and play so I couldn't screw that up. When I built the trailer, I took the time to run an extra dedicated ground wire to all the lights and did not use the chassis as a ground. Can anyone help me solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Does your trailer have separate bulbs, or filaments, for the brake and turn signals?

Is that just an isolation harness, or do you know that any necessary conversion is done in the system you have?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
First, we need to isolate the trouble by unplugging the trailer and using a test light directly on the connector where the trailer would plug in. If the lights appear to work okay there, then we look for the trouble in the trailer wiring. If not, then the trouble is with the bike wiring. I am not familiar with the Bushtec isolator so I am wandering if the Bushtec isolator is compatible with the EC converter. I do know that the EC converter changes the functions of the EC isolator outputs. This may be the case with the Bushtec isolator too. I would also double and triple check all of my wiring to make sure that all the connections are correct. It may be that the isolator or converter is defective.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motorcycleboy, thank you for the suggestion of unhooking the trailer. Sometimes I get frustrated and forget the basics. I unhooked the trailer and tested the plug and found that the problem is on the bike because it does the same thing right at the plug.

As far as compatability is concerned, EC makes the isolated trailer wiring kit for Bushtec so all items are compatible.

I called EC and Lewis is gone until Monday, so I guess it will have to wait until his return. It appears that I may have gotten a faulty converter.

Bob, no there are not separate bulbs or filaments for the brake lights and turn signals. That is why I purchased the converter to go from the bike's 5 wire system to the trailer's four wire system.

Thanks again to both of you for replying.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You are welcome. It sounds like you have the same set-up as I do and it is all plug and play. Now we can take this a step further. Remove both the isolator and converter and make sure the bike lights work normally. If all is well then reconnect the isolator and check the outputs for proper function. If all is still well reinstall the convertor and retest all outputs. You should be able to find which component is causing the problem if you follow these steps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MotorcycleBoy, I failed to mention it, but the lights on the bike are working fine. While I was waiting for the converter to arrive, I plugged everything in and tested with the trailer and I had everything but brake lights which makes sense because that is what the converter is for. Consequently, I think I've narrowed it down to the converter.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also built a Harbor Freight trailer and installed the Bushtec hitch.
I could not find any converter (5 to 4) that would work with the Bushtec isolator.
U Haul is supposed to have one that works but the uhaul dealers here looked at me like I was crazy!
The Hoppy brand (readily available at every parts store) will not work.
I finally went to Wal Mart and bought a set of trailer lights that I installed and wired as independent brake lights. I left the outside lights as running and turn signals.
I like the extra lighting. I used the 5th wire as a hot wire and wired a light inside my cargo box.

Good luck.

mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
U-haul is the only one I found to work when I built my HF trailor.Its the converter that is designed for cars with seperate turn signals(amber) and the trailer with the same turn signals as brake lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts