GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem with using your CB radio and Intercom at the same time (between rider #1 & passenger # 2) with Sena 20S EVO or SRL Bluetooth headsets?

Once the CB radio is added on the 2018 Gold Wing Tour, and you also have a passenger (#2) with Intercom paired to rider (#1), Sena will tell you / us that due to a "product limitation" you cannot have both the CB & Intercom at the same time!

Looking back, we had reliable simultaneous CB & Intercom functionality on our prior (2014) Goldwing, so naturally one would expect the new, improved (2018) Gold Wing to meet or exceed the old bike in all aspects of audio functionality.

Did Honda inform us about this serious CB / Intercom shortcoming on the 2018 models before we had the dealer install a CB on our bike at a cost of over a thousand dollars and also invested hundreds of dollars more in Sena Bluetooth headsets recommended by Honda?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I believe You can with the j&m bt-04

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
We just did a 700 mile ride and were using the intercom, CB, and listing to XM at the same time. The headsets are Sena 30K have also used 20S EVOs 20S and SRL. You should do all the updates and it helps to use Sena's apps.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
We just did a 700 mile ride and were using the intercom, CB, and listing to XM at the same time. The headsets are Sena 30K have also used 20S EVOs 20S and SRL. You should do all the updates and it helps to use Sena's apps.
So, while you were transmitting on the CB, your passenger could hear what you were transmitting through the intercom? This is the problem on the Sena. Likewise if the passenger is transmitting on the CB, the driver cannot hear their passengers transmission through the intercom.

Reactions: retired_biker

·
Registered
283 Posts
So you saying that you and your co-rider were in fact able to use the intercom between helmets and transmit and receive CB communications and never had to reconnect your helmets at all? I have posted many comments about this problem and have talked to Sena and Honda. I also use the Sena SRL with the updates and still cannot use intercom and CB without issues. Both companies claim that is is not possible due to the CB and intercom using the same channel. Complaints to both parties have still resulted in no resolution. And if what they say is correct, I don't see how any bluetooth headset will do any better.

Big H

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
We were using Mesh on Sena 30K headsets on two different bikes. We do not ride the same bike but have been using mesh with both 30K headsets and Mesh+ adaptors.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
We were using Mesh on Sena 30K headsets on two different bikes. We do not ride the same bike but have been using mesh with both 30K headsets and Mesh+ adaptors.
Completely different scenario and not relevant to the OPs point or the stated problem. Read the first post.

Reactions: retired_biker

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
OK question. Does the 2018 have native/built-in intercom ? On my 02 I use built in intercom with my Sena 10S' because when I use helmet to helmet it does cut off bike input from and to the free wire's. Also turned off box intercom.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
OK question. Does the 2018 have native/built-in intercom ? On my 02 I use built in intercom with my Sena 10S' because when I use helmet to helmet it does cut off bike input from and to the free wire's. Also turned off box intercom.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
No, my 2018 and most likely all others, do not have built-in intercom. We have to use bluetooth helmet to helmet. And that is where the problem comes in with the CB. Since Sena says they both share the same channel, they can not simultaneously use CB and intercom. Consequently, the CB makes the helmet to helmet disconnect every time it is used. A real bummer of a problem that I sincerely feel that Sena and Honda should correct. You can't convince me that it can't be done with today's highly advanced technology in communication.

Big H

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, my 2018 and most likely all others, do not have built-in intercom. We have to use bluetooth helmet to helmet. And that is where the problem comes in with the CB. Since Sena says they both share the same channel, they can not simultaneously use CB and intercom. Consequently, the CB makes the helmet to helmet disconnect every time it is used. A real bummer of a problem that I sincerely feel that Sena and Honda should correct. You can't convince me that it can't be done with today's highly advanced technology in communication.

Big H
Agreed!

Months back, I contacted Honda PowerSports in CA to file a complaint (and obtained a case # documenting) that my wife and I then each using a different brand headset did not have reliable, simultaneous use the Intercom since our selling dealer installed the OEM accessory Honda CB radio in our 2018 GW DCT Tour. I was told by Honda PS that the recommended headset was the Sena 20S and was also directed to my selling dealer for further assistance. My selling dealer contacted his (local Honda) DSM who confirmed the Sena 20S was Honda's recommendation to address my stated complaint (cannot use intercom reliably / simultaneously since CB radio was installed). I then purchased / installed 2 Sena SRL's (per Sena, equivalent functionality to their latest 20S (20S EVO). With the SRL’s, when my wife and I are together on bike and paired through intercom, we are unable to have simultaneous use of the the CB radio and intercom as each and every time another person in our group (also with a CB) transmits, our intercom is disconnected, which has been an unbelievably exasperating experience for us!. As stated in my first post (# 1 above), Sena says this behavior this due to a "product limitation,” with the Sena representative further saying “you cannot have both the CB & Intercom at the same time.” At this point it does appear that I've gone as far as I can with Sena. However, I have asked my selling dealer for a sit-down meeting with his DSM as it is clear to me that Honda PS is responsible for resolving my complaint.

I would encourage anyone in this situation to contact Honda PS in CA and file a case # asap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We have the J&M BT-04. We can not hear each other talk on CB when listing to music, but hear the reply. Push the button for icomm and we can talk to each other, either one of us can talk on cb and we both can hear transmission and reply.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have the J&M BT-04. We can not hear each other talk on CB when listing to music, but hear the reply. Push the button for icomm and we can talk to each other, either one of us can talk on cb and we both can hear transmission and reply.
That was definitely not our experience with the BT04's. We could not have simultaneous, consistent Intercom and CB communications when riding two-up on the same bike (with both BT04 headsets paired to bike and to each other), which is why we gave up on BT04's and contacted Honda to advise us as to what available headset out there worked correctly with the 2018 Gold Wing. We were told by Honda that only the Sena 20S EVO (or per Sena, the integrated SRL model version) was supported.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Problem with using your CB radio and Intercom at the same time (between rider #1 & passenger # 2) with Sena 20S EVO or SRL Bluetooth headsets?

Once the CB radio is added on the 2018 Gold Wing Tour, and you also have a passenger (#2) with Intercom paired to rider (#1), Sena will tell you / us that due to a "product limitation" you cannot have both the CB & Intercom at the same time!

Looking back, we had reliable simultaneous CB & Intercom functionality on our prior (2014) Goldwing, so naturally one would expect the new, improved (2018) Gold Wing to meet or exceed the old bike in all aspects of audio functionality.

Did Honda inform us about this serious CB / Intercom shortcoming on the 2018 models before we had the dealer install a CB on our bike at a cost of over a thousand dollars and also invested hundreds of dollars more in Sena Bluetooth headsets recommended by Honda?
The bike does NOT supply intercom.

Intercom is a function of the headset.

I'm a little surprised that Honda is recommended a Sena Model that Sena says isn't capable of doing the job that is desired.

Does Sena indicate that any other of their models will do this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bike does NOT supply intercom.

Intercom is a function of the headset.

I'm a little surprised that Honda is recommended a Sena Model that Sena says isn't capable of doing the job that is desired.

Does Sena indicate that any other of their models will do this?
No, they did not.

My wife and I are limited to using the SRL version with our Shoei Neotec II helmets at this point. Early on, Sena's Tech support seemed to think the Goldwing version of their own Freewire unit may have been the solution, but they changed their position to: "due to a "product limitation, you cannot have both the CB & Intercom at the same time," I suspect because they were incorrectly informed that Intercom / CB radio functioning in 2018 and later models was the same as 2017 and earlier, which as you correctly state is not the case. To my knowledge, the Freewire unit for the Honda Goldwing is designed for 2017 & earlier models and not applicable to our issue.

If you (or anyone else) are in the same situation as my wife and I, we strongly suggest you also contact Honda and make your concerns know to them.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
No, they did not.

My wife and I are limited to using the SRL version with our Shoei Neotec II helmets at this point. Early on, Sena's Tech support seemed to think the Goldwing version of their own Freewire unit may have been the solution, but they changed their position to: "due to a "product limitation, you cannot have both the CB & Intercom at the same time," I suspect because they were incorrectly informed that Intercom / CB radio functioning in 2018 and later models was the same as 2017 and earlier, which as you correctly state is not the case. To my knowledge, the Freewire unit for the Honda Goldwing is designed for 2017 & earlier models and not applicable to our issue.

If you (or anyone else) are in the same situation as my wife and I, we strongly suggest you also contact Honda and make your concerns know to them.

Thanks for your input!
I bought Cardo Packtalk Bold for my Neotec II.

Doesn't fit in the pocket in the back of helmet but I'm happy with the install. Don't have a lot of usage hours yet. Our older Cardo's are no longer available and not even listed in the comparisons of the models that are available.
Wanted to go with DMC mesh units for new lid.

I don't have a CB, so can't comment on how/if that works.

The manual for the set lists many 'priority' options and whether music an be operated in the background. They are able to deal with 2 phones directly to headset.

Not sure if any of that could help, but thought I'd throw it out. Other Packtalk Bold users may have more/better input.

User manual link:
https://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/manual/en/packtalkBold.pdf

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought Cardo Packtalk Bold for my Neotec II.

Doesn't fit in the pocket in the back of helmet but I'm happy with the install. Don't have a lot of usage hours yet. Our older Cardo's are no longer available and not even listed in the comparisons of the models that are available.
Wanted to go with DMC mesh units for new lid.

I don't have a CB, so can't comment on how/if that works.

The manual for the set lists many 'priority' options and whether music an be operated in the background. They are able to deal with 2 phones directly to headset.

Not sure if any of that could help, but thought I'd throw it out. Other Packtalk Bold users may have more/better input.

User manual link:
https://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/manual/en/packtalkBold.pdf
Thank you for suggesting the Cardo product, but we'd rather not use a headset that is not designed to be integral with the Neotec II's and also definitely not incur any additional expenses beyond the J&M BT04's (that also did not work for us) and now the Sena SRL's, risking that yet another mfg. may be the solution.

Please keep in mind that Honda told us that the Sena 20S EVO (same as SRL) was the solution, so in our opinion this whole issue (a functioning simultaneous CB & Intercom when riding two up, equivalent to what is available with the 2017 and older models) is their (Honda's) issue to resolve for their affected customers.

If we didn't the CB radio that Honda sold us, we would not be here having this discussion!

Thank you for your thoughts and recommendation!

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Explain to me the need for a CB comms...might as well install an 8-track cassette player to go with that CB.

...chasing the obsolete...

I am not down on people who use it, but I wonder how? who uses a CB nowadays? I always hated them antennas on my Wings. The last thing I want on my Wing is an antenna. Maybe a flagpole with an American flag to advertise my infidelity. ha!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Explain to me the need for a CB comms...might as well install an 8-track cassette player to go with that CB.

...chasing the obsolete...

I am not down on people who use it, but I wonder how? who uses a CB nowadays? I always hated them antennas on my Wings. The last thing I want on my Wing is an antenna. Maybe a flagpole with an American flag to advertise my infidelity. ha!
If you have a genuine need for a CB radio, e.g., ride with groups that also rely upon a CB radio for communications to facilitate safer riding within their group, then in my opinion, a CB radio is the only reliable way to go, even (or especially?) now as it has become more and more apparent that current Bluetooth technology applied to motorcycle communications is not ready for prime time.

I do like the look of the CB antenna on the 2018+ GW, not so much on our prior (2014) GW.

I honor anyone who proudly displays our American flag!

Despite the issue of whether or not a CB radio is a necessity, I do hope you'll agree that a vehicle manufacturer (Honda in this case) who markets its own approved accessory item (CB radio) through its own authorized dealer network (who also installed it in our case), which is found not to function in one of the most common scenarios it would be expected to be used, i.e. both rider and passenger on a 2018+ Gold Wing having the ability to communicate with each other via Intercom as well as having simultaneous use of the CB radio (just as we did with our 2014 GW), is responsible to its customers to rectify the problem, especially after assuring my wife and I that our purchasing 2 Sena 20S EVO (SRL) headsets would resolve the issues (Intercom & CB radio) cited in the complaint filed with Honda PowerSports in CA.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
50 Posts
What is the exact start up sequence you use? Turn on headsets, plug in phone, turn on bike, ect? I'm running to SRL 2s for rider and passenger, all updates applied, and still have the intercom disconnect each time I hit transmit on the CB

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone got the CB and two up rider passenger intercom and apple car play and audio to work using SRL2s?

If so what is
1) the configuration? (example: headsets BT paired to each other and BT paired to bike and BT paired to phone; phone not BT paired to bike, connected via USB dongle)

2) exact connection and turn on sequence?
Example
Connect phone to bike via USB
Turn on rider and passenger headset
Turn on Bike

Group rides use CB and I still want to have intercom with passenger.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts