GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-

I was quite happy when the UPS truck brought my Michelin Alpin rear tire; I have the big huge Honda Service Manual and I read how to remove the rear tire -quite an easy process it seems! UNLESS........you happen to have a Rivco hitch installed....like me....
After I removed the rear fender and saw how the Rivco hitch is installed to the frame, it appears to me that I will have to do a LOT of surgery to remove the hitch body just to get the tire out.

Anyone else with a Rivco hitch that can chime in and help a fella out?

I have a Craftsman 1500lb ATV/bike lift; if I put the bike on the lift, can I get the tire out that way without disassembling the whole rear end to get the hitch off? I'm thinking that MIGHT be the best way to go at this.

I really want to have the CT mounted on the rim...but I gotta get the rim off first!

:bow:I anxiously await your learned responses to my question...:bow:

John

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Put some padding down where the right crash bars will touch and lay the bike gently over to that side. Try not having a full fuel tank as gas may seep out. Pull the center stand down so it will raise the rear tire higher off the pavement and have at it! Lots of videos of it. I will find one and post it.

Where in KY are you? We are riding in Eastern KY Saturday.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
:agree: I rarely change a tire with the bike upright anymore - usually only if the front end is apart and it's already on the lift.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Murgie-

Thanks! That may be easier still! I really REALLY didn't want to take the hitch off.... I have a few moving blankets that'll be just the ticket! Of course, I just filled the tank...
Thanks again....I'll get to the Darkside yet!

John

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:agree: I rarely change a tire with the bike upright anymore
Thanks COB - Going from the 1100 is requiring a whole change in maintenance mind set...

Murgie - Covington - just across the bridge from Cincinnati

John

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
all so remember try to do it on flat ground and make sure to use the center stand to get the extra lift to remove the tire and when it's time to lift the bike make sure that you have it in gear so it won't start rolling away from you trust me it make a difference.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

All-

I just watched that video posted above and Damn! that looks easy!

As soon as I get the Alpin mounted on the back, I've got a Battlax BT-45 to be mounted on the front.
I guess that will make me a 'Double Darkside' rider?

Thanks again!

btw- this bike is a whole WORLD different than my '83 Aspencade! I'll never go back.........

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have to take off my kuryakyn hwy pegs on the right before I lean it over or they will be pushed into the side cover. Its just another 4 screws to do that. jack

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Jack-
I also have highway pegs and realized that- got it off and the wheel broken loose...ready to lay it over YIKES!

Who do I pm to get a double darkside number?

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
All-

I was quite happy when the UPS truck brought my Michelin Alpin rear tire; I have the big huge Honda Service Manual and I read how to remove the rear tire -quite an easy process it seems! UNLESS........you happen to have a Rivco hitch installed....like me....
After I removed the rear fender and saw how the Rivco hitch is installed to the frame, it appears to me that I will have to do a LOT of surgery to remove the hitch body just to get the tire out.

Anyone else with a Rivco hitch that can chime in and help a fella out?

I have a Craftsman 1500lb ATV/bike lift; if I put the bike on the lift, can I get the tire out that way without disassembling the whole rear end to get the hitch off? I'm thinking that MIGHT be the best way to go at this.

I really want to have the CT mounted on the rim...but I gotta get the rim off first!

:bow:I anxiously await your learned responses to my question...:bow:

John
I have a Craftsman lift also and that's what I use whenever I change tires. I lift it up and drop the tire out the bottom.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

Jack-
I also have highway pegs and realized that- got it off and the wheel broken loose...ready to lay it over YIKES!

Murgie is number genie .

·
Registered
827 Posts

Jack-

I started to lay it over when I first noticed the peg was being pushed up. Took all I had to reverse the laydown and turn it into a lift again. I haven't dropped the bike yet by accident so I don't know what those pegs are going to do when it happens. I guess the worst will be that I will be buying some new engine covers.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/member.php?32623-Murgie to get your number.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Problems

WELCOME to the forum. and since you are in the process of mounting a CT. I will say WELCOME to the darkside. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
[h=2]Problems getting to the Darkside.....[/h]
I'm having a problem getting there too. Ordered a new R/F a few days ago, and it hasn't shipped yet!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat mounted and balanced - then the FUN began! I was seriously beginning to think I'd NEVER EVER get the wheel back on the bike.. there is NOT a lot of wiggle room to get that sucker in there! I kept thinking "So many guys on the GL1800Riders Forum did it, so can I" .....and I did LOL

The big brown truck just brought the BT-45 for the front, so I've got that wheel pulled and ready to go.

Double Darkside or Bust! LOL

John

·
Registered
827 Posts
Next time remember the plastic bag over the wheel trick.. slips right in like butter..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts