GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to install Trunk Light reconfiguration harness when I came up on step number 5. Which is to remove the 3 acorn nuts that secure the trunk light to the trunk. The acorn nut on BOTH sides did not break loose from the inner bolt in the light. I am talking about the one that is closest to the middle of the trunk. What can one do to get this to come loose? The instructions seems to be cystral clear, just this acorn nut wont crack. I did not have to use a lot of force to get it to spin. So can anyone let me know of a secret to get this loose without having to replace the light due to hammer damage.

Thanks

If need to discuss over phone, just email number to me so i can call. Sometimes a call is better than having to type it all out.

UPDATE 11/03/06

I went to the dealer, nice 50 or so mile ride, and had them replace the housing under warranty. I asked for what reason did this happen. He told me that Honda puts LOC TIGHT on at least one of the bolt/acorn nut to prevent the lens from coming out going down the road. The secret in removing the housing is to tap the handle of the rachet on each of these to break the hold of the loc tight. i told him, they need to make this known because this was the first that I have heard of Honda doing this act.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
Can you get to the nut to split it. Maybe with cutters or a dremel tool. The stud is turning inside the lamp. :(

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red said:
Can you get to the nut to split it. Maybe with cutters or a dremel tool. The stud is turning inside the lamp. :(
Dont have a dremel tool, yet. Maybe tomorrow. would you cut the end off or try to spilt the nut? I do have a rotozip which I might be able to get a cutting bit for it.

I know a friend of mine was telling me about this happening to him. He made me feel as though it was a common occurance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Can the lens be popped off the housing? I had mine off some time ago to change the bulb, and it looked like the lens had some tabs holding it together.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Taillight Acorn Nut Problem

I had the SAME problem. I posted on the site and about all I got was....It is a dealer item.....take it to the dealer. Fine, but the light is NOT yet burned out on mine, I just wanted to put in some different bulbs. I tried heating a socket that was a bit larger than the acorn in an attempt to re-fuse the plastic around the turning screw base. Did not work.

I am now thinking of going the Dremel tool route, but mine is the one that is recessed on the upper right and I'm not sure what I will get into in grinding down all that plastic.

If you DO get some help on this site, please post it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Do not cut off the bolt, grind one side off, then split the nut open.
Then remove the studs and cut a small grove in the plastic and
glue with Gorilla glue. After it is set up good, get some SS nuts
(Ace hardware) use a small amount of grease and some star
washers, just do not tighten too tight.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
This is very common. Do you have the extended warranty? If so, take it to the dealer and get it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to take it to the dealer, but do not feeling that did this not a warranty item and all that. It seems like it would be simple enough to fix. I like the dremel tool idea, and using one of those disc looking bits would work, I think. But I have to go out and get me a dremel and have no clue as to which one to get.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
They're all pretty much the same. Just get the least expensive one and make sure you get some thin cut-off discs. I don't think they come with the tool. Got to have an arbor also.......uh, shank.... to put the disc on!

Actually the top of the line one may hve the cut-off discs and shank included.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called my dealer and they are suppose to be ordering whatever might be needed to fix this. I hope so, as I am suppose to be up there Friday to have it done. Now can someone tell me exactly what might need to be ordered to have this back to new? New lens? Housing? bolts? acorn nuts? I am just curious is all. I might call them tomorrow to make sure they have it all ordered properly. Thanks one and all for your responses.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Steve - if you cant get it done, or break something, I have a spare pair of taillight housings from someone changing to the clear ones. email me if you get stymied.

Harry

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
SC Steve said:
I called my dealer and they are suppose to be ordering whatever might be needed to fix this. I hope so, as I am suppose to be up there Friday to have it done. Now can someone tell me exactly what might need to be ordered to have this back to new? New lens? Housing? bolts? acorn nuts? I am just curious is all. I might call them tomorrow to make sure they have it all ordered properly. Thanks one and all for your responses.
they probably put in a order for 2 new tail lites, my bike didn't have that problem but its pretty common on lots of 02's

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cycledude said:
SC Steve said:
they probably put in a order for 2 new tail lites, my bike didn't have that problem but its pretty common on lots of 02's
Why was/is it common with the 02s? I have heard of some local wings having the problems, but did not know that it may of been related to the year of the bike.

THanks for the responses. I may take you up on those housings.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BUMP with an update on first post..... thanks to everyone for the responses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts