GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...

Just got my VStream SE and have been "attempting" to install. Couple of problems. Granted, I'm no mechanical wiz kid, but I have done an air filter, coolant change, etc. So I'd say I'm nearly as competent as my local Honda Dealer's service monkeys.

1. Instruction photos/illustrations are worthless photocopies so there is no contrast of any kind. I can't believe that National Cycle sends such a poor instruction sheet with their product.

2. I did get the windshield mounted, but I can no longer raise/lower the windshield.

I have attempted various combinations of tight vs. loose to the main fasteners to see if that helps.... No luck

3. The screws that they supplied don't thread very well at all. They put some sort of thread lock coating on the screws... why? I have no idea, since the original bolts weren't thread locked.

4. They included some pads that attach to the fairing (sticky) and I have those in place, but I suspect the pads are part of the reason why the windshield can't be raised or lowered.

Overall I'm extremely disappointed in this product. I'm going to try it again tomorrow, but If I can't get it working correctly, its going back

I could use some helpful pointers if anyone has done this before. Thanks

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have the first one they made and like it alot:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had the same problem with the threads. I took a wire brush and cleaned the threads. They went in just fine after that.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I dont recall the thread problem, but mine is VERY tight and difficult to raise/lower. It takes a LOT of force. Part of the reason is the thickness of the shield compared to stock (I think). If the pads are not installed correctly they can curl up and cause the shield to be nearly impossible to raise/lower.

It is a pain, but other than the raise/lower issue, I like the shield.

The entire windshield mechanism on the Wing is an afterthought and poorly designed. I am blown away that Honda did not address this with the "re-design" of the 2012.

·
Registered
900 Posts
When I used a Cee Bailey's shield it was thicker than a stock shield. Cee Bailey's sent 2 washers with the shield, to be used in the windshield locking mechanism, to give extra play for the thicker shield.
Just remove nut on locking mechanism (behind mirror rubber) lift bracket off stud and use 1 or 2 washers to give extra clearance.
I don't know if this will work with your shield...but worth a try.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have any experience, but your comments reminded me of DBLXX's post regarding the same issues a couple monthes ago.

08WIwing posted up some helpful tips about the foam/tape placement near the end of the thread.

Maybe this will help... Good luck.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280326
Thanks...

This was a helpful thread in that it there was a good photo that showed the placement of the foam sticky pads. The instruction sheet is PI*$ POOR!

Since I couldn't make out the placement of those pads from the installation instructions, I made the mistake of watching a You Tube from a company called "CustomCruiser.COM"... In their video they have a shot of the placement of said pads. I followed their example, which was of course WRONG. Then I redid it using the photo from the above link.

Still couldn't get the windshield to slide up and down. OEM shield is back on the motorcycle. Taking it back for a refund.

Bottom line.

1. I am very disappointed with this product. A simple detailed drawing of the placement of the sticky pads would have been desirable, since a there is no way to get any useful info from the a photocopy of black pads on black fairing..... STUPID

2. What good is the product if it does not allow the windshield to adjust up or down as Honda designed it to. Again very poor design

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I'll agree that the quality of the photos included with the V-stream SE could better.

I was fortunate when I installed mine last summer to have seen this video. It made the whole process as simple and pain free as possible:

Best of success!

I love the performance of this product -- still crystal clear, and gives good protection.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Same problems...I hated it. When I attempted to raise or lower it...it was so tight it would rip the rubber sliders right out of the tension bar.

I sold it.

Just installed the regular V-stream.

LOVE IT !!!!

Although around 75-80MPH the left and right top edges do flap in the wind a bit much.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I opted out of the pads. It is still tight. Contact National Cycle and ask them to send you a set of instructions. They are a lot better than the photo-chopped that come with the shield. I also opted to use the OEM screws on all the mounts, they worked fine. I got an email with the instructions in a matter of an hour, so they actually look at them.
The shield is still tight, but moveable and getting easier with time. I guess it is peeling off a bit of the plastic under the cowl and loosening up.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Same problems...I hated it. When I attempted to raise or lower it...it was so tight it would rip the rubber sliders right out of the tension bar.

I sold it.

Just installed the regular V-stream.

LOVE IT !!!!

Although around 75-80MPH the left and right top edges do flap in the wind a bit much.
Good to hear you have something that works for you.:thumbup:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I opted out of the pads. It is still tight. Contact National Cycle and ask them to send you a set of instructions. They are a lot better than the photo-chopped that come with the shield. I also opted to use the OEM screws on all the mounts, they worked fine. I got an email with the instructions in a matter of an hour, so they actually look at them.
The shield is still tight, but moveable and getting easier with time. I guess it is peeling off a bit of the plastic under the cowl and loosening up.

Best Wishes

I returned it for a refund. Its disappointing that they would sell the product with such poor instructions and the fit is just too tight to go up and down. Seems to me that the product should work correctly for the kind of $$$ it costs

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I returned it for a refund. Its disappointing that they would sell the product with such poor instructions and the fit is just too tight to go up and down. Seems to me that the product should work correctly for the kind of $$$ it costs
Yes, it should operate better. I don't really want to guess what they were thinking, being the shield is thicker than a stock, by quite a bit. Wings are as different as people seem to be, in small details. I will say that I got lucky and read around here and found the fit was really tight, so was a bit fore warned. I got mine from a board member and was waiting for its arrival and wanted to see what I had gotten myself in to, so contacted National Cycle for instructions. I was pleased with the response. As for the performance, I notice some better air space,( I didn't have a problem with stock, but this is better) the wife says it is night and day. It was bought for her comfort and has done very well in that regard.
I hope you can find something that fits your needs and bike.
Best Wishes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mine was also very hard to adjust at first but after a few months, (left in one position) it moves very easy the pads need some time to compact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed a Vstream Special edition last night. Everything went pretty well, and the screen is tight, but I can move it to all positions. I am glad that I did the install, because when I got the front fairing cover off I discovered that ALL of the screws holding the windsheild I was replacing were very loose. Some had even backed out several turns.

I took a ride with the new sheild last night and it is a big improvement. In the lowest setting I am not in "dead air" but it was very comfortable with just sunglasses on, no buffeting at 70 MPH. I can also look over the screen very easily. When I put my hand up, the flow seems to hit about 2 inches over my head (I am 6' even with a 32" inseam)

Overall I am very pleased with the windsheild...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts