GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. The dreaded deceleration wobble. Got it on my 2012 with only 8,000 miles on it. So, the Honda steering head bearings are crap, AND the steering head torque must be periodically readjusted. We have a solution to the bearings with All Balls. But the torque will still loosen up, sometimes after just a few hundred miles. Yes? So, can someone invent a way to KEEP the torque consistent? If the bearings are seated properly, wouldn't a giant Lock Washer KEEP them set?

Sorry if this makes no sense to those who ACTUALLY know what they're talking about. :roll:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There is a lockwasher on it. Once you set the torque you put on the keeper washer On, install the jam nut and screw it down by hand. As this jam nut contacts the washer hold a backup on the lower nut and jam the top nut down tight. as the jam nut gets tight make sure the slots in the jam nut lines up with a tab on the keeper washer and then bend the keeper washer tab over into the jam nut slot.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
R.You should of asked me about this last night..LOL

Brian pretty much summed it up as to how to do it so "You don't have to re-torque them later on".

I've installed more than I care to count, and never touch them again. ;)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
R.You should of asked me about this last night..LOL

Brian pretty much summed it up as to how to do it so "You don't have to re-torque them later on".

I've installed more than I care to count, and never touch them again. ;)
If they got lose it is because you didn't have the bearings or races fully seated. Sometimes when removing the bottom tree bearing you can get a burr that will prevent the bearing from seating completely.

Jeff.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Okay. The dreaded deceleration wobble. Got it on my 2012 with only 8,000 miles on it. So, the Honda steering head bearings are crap, AND the steering head torque must be periodically readjusted. We have a solution to the bearings with All Balls. But the torque will still loosen up, sometimes after just a few hundred miles. Yes? So, can someone invent a way to KEEP the torque consistent? If the bearings are seated properly, wouldn't a giant Lock Washer KEEP them set?

Sorry if this makes no sense to those who ACTUALLY know what they're talking about. :roll:
Once the Race Tech Mechanic installed mine and my my full suspension it has been a Non issue at 12000 miles. Now I need to replace the worn E3 on the front to stop the Noise.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
If they got lose it is because you didn't have the bearings or races fully seated. Sometimes when removing the bottom tree bearing you can get a burr that will prevent the bearing from seating completely.

Jeff.
Jeff. There are more ways that bearings will need attention again down the road. But you are correct that the races "Must" be seated properly at the start.

However I have removed more than 60 bearing races from trees, doing All Balls installs and now from old cores and I never touch the tree shaft on extraction of an old race. Can it happen, oh hell yes. If you're a klutz!.

I would hope that if a tree got a nick in it, that the person who did such a thing would use a flat file to de-bur it first before installing a new seal/bearing.

The sole reason why bearing get loose down the line is because they weren't torqued properly in the first place if the races were seated correctly.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts

1. Why do you think the decel wobble is caused by the steering bearings? It is probably "caused" by wear on your tires.
2. All Balls is not a solution to a "bearing problem", it is a way to mask the tire wobble so you won't feel it as much.
3. Why do you want to fix it?

Let those who know what they are talking about expound. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,041 Posts
1. Why do you think the decel wobble is caused by the steering bearings? It is probably "caused" by wear on your tires.
2. All Balls is not a solution to a "bearing problem", it is a way to mask the tire wobble so you won't feel it as much.
3. Why do you want to fix it?

Let those who know what they are talking about expound. ;)
I don't believe that worn tires are the cause of the decel wobble....when I installed the All Balls on my 03 at 9K miles, my bike was cured of the decel wobble with the same worn tires that it decel wobbled with before the All Balls. My All Balls are torqued at 20 ftlbs...same torque that Honda calls for the OEM bearing. My 03 has been wobble free since 2005 regardless of tire wear.

I wanted the decel wobble fixed simply because I don't want my bike to wobble...and there are times while slowing down I take my hands off the handlebars....like to adjust my winter gloves or helmet.

I've been riding streetbikes since 1976 and have owned lots of motorcycles, and most of the streetbikes I've owned build before 1984 would wobble at high speeds, but the GL1800 is the only motorcycle I've ever owned that would wobble on decel with no hands on the handlebars...but at least you can fix that issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts