GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to bring this to everyone attention before they end up blowing up a rear drive unit. The failure will be slow in coming as the damage will not be done fast…well at least not in the beginning at least.

I like to change my rear drive units oil often, I do not let it sit in there for years on end before it even get looked at. I change mine ever other oil change…oil is cheap…gears are NOT…!

Anyways for all you do it yourself’ers out there, you might want to have a really good hard look at what gear lube you are using back there. Seriously this is no joke, this could the difference between a long lived rear drive unit or one that packs it in when your in the middle of nowhere. All to often it always seems to be when your in the middle of nowhere when these issues pop up…and then its too bloody late…!

I have tried many oils over the years, both in my bikes I have had, and other things. Most of these oils did there job just fine or at least in a satisfactory way. What I want to show you is oil that you should AVOID at all cost for you wing…! And that is this one PENNZOIL synth gear lube. Why….? Because it turns into a big foaming mess in the gear box. Oil that has turned to foam…can not…and will not….protect your gears…! The chance of metal to metal contact is extremely high, and its ability to cool hot spots and act to transfer heat away is very seriously compromised.

Now before some of you say you must have been riding really hard for this to happen, what would you say if I told you… The wing was placed on the centre stand, started, put into gear…in to “ 5th gear ( OD ) and left to idle for about 3 minutes while I got ready to do a oil change in the drive unit. And on turning it off….this is how it comes out…! ( see photo ).

I have known about this oil doing this long ago…and in this case I was not riding with this oil in. I have some left and when I do a oil change I use it like a flushing oil to clear out the dear box from the wear metal that comes off the gears and so on from normal use. I made the mistake of using this oil long ago, and while it did not do any damage as I dumped it very soon….I just want to pass this info along to all of you that MIGHT think that your getting some really good oil, when in fact its CRAP…! I bet plain cooking oil would out perform this oil….hell it can’t do any worse then this…!

This lube oil FOAMS very badly for me...and I am sure it would be the same for anyone else that may use it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I first discovered this foaming some 4 months ago when I bought this oil….and after riding for a while I put the bike on the centre stand and went to check the oil…on opening the filler plug….nothing but thick foam oozed out. I grabbed camera and had the bike running in gear while is got the tools out and something to pour the oil into. This is how it came out when drained.

Please NOTE: the photo of the oil were taken at “ 0 “ minutes fresh out…then 2 minutes standing time and then at 15 minutes. In fact I took photo every 5 minutes but I will spare you all those. Look after sitting 15 minutes….its still one big foamy mess…all milky from air. This is NOT GOOD AT ALL…!

:eek:4:

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks. Will keep in mind. I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic. Any known issues with that? :shrug:

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Honda gear oil will do the same, less all that foam.

I just changed the final drive oil on my bike two days ago, after doing what you did, bike on center stand and let it run in gear for only a minute I drained what looked like you got, less all that top foam.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Will keep in mind. I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic. Any known issues with that? :shrug:
I do not know....all I know is that this pennzoil fully synth gear lube turns into a one big formy mess....very fast...!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda gear oil will do the same, less all that foam.

I just changed the final drive oil on my bike two days ago, after doing what you did, bike on center stand and let it run in gear for only a minute I drained what looked like you got, less all that top foam.
Now some might get on my case about this....BUT..! I have been using Amsoil...gear lube and guess what...almost NO foam at all. Not saying its the best....just saying what I am using and find it great. The penz stuff....I just use that as flushing oil now to clear out the gear box....thats all. Gear oil should not turn into a foaming mess....thats bad news for gears.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I just want to bring this to everyone attention before they end up blowing up a rear drive unit. The failure will be slow in coming as the damage will not be done fast…well at least not in the beginning at least.

I like to change my rear drive units oil often, I do not let it sit in there for years on end before it even get looked at. I change mine ever other oil change…oil is cheap…gears are NOT…!

Anyways for all you do it yourself’ers out there, you might want to have a really good hard look at what gear lube you are using back there. Seriously this is no joke, this could the difference between a long lived rear drive unit or one that packs it in when your in the middle of nowhere. All to often it always seems to be when your in the middle of nowhere when these issues pop up…and then its too bloody late…!

I have tried many oils over the years, both in my bikes I have had, and other things. Most of these oils did there job just fine or at least in a satisfactory way. What I want to show you is oil that you should AVOID at all cost for you wing…! And that is this one PENNZOIL synth gear lube. Why….? Because it turns into a big foaming mess in the gear box. Oil that has turned to foam…can not…and will not….protect your gears…! The chance of metal to metal contact is extremely high, and its ability to cool hot spots and act to transfer heat away is very seriously compromised.

Now before some of you say you must have been riding really hard for this to happen, what would you say if I told you… The wing was placed on the centre stand, started, put into gear…in to “ 5th gear ( OD ) and left to idle for about 3 minutes while I got ready to do a oil change in the drive unit. And on turning it off….this is how it comes out…! ( see photo ).

I have known about this oil doing this long ago…and in this case I was not riding with this oil in. I have some left and when I do a oil change I use it like a flushing oil to clear out the dear box from the wear metal that comes off the gears and so on from normal use. I made the mistake of using this oil long ago, and while it did not do any damage as I dumped it very soon….I just want to pass this info along to all of you that MIGHT think that your getting some really good oil, when in fact its CRAP…! I bet plain cooking oil would out perform this oil….hell it can’t do any worse then this…!

This lube oil FOAMS very badly for me...and I am sure it would be the same for anyone else that may use it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thanks for the tip and warning, Mongo Jerry. I think I'll stick with Amsoil for the rear drive. I use Mobil Racing T for the engine, since it's cheaper than Amsoil.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Good info Thanks. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts