GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who may not know how, and are interested in programming in your own personal message into the Opening Ceremony Screen in your Multi Display, below is the sequence for doing it. Maybe this has been put up on the Board before, but I am a newbie to the board and have not seen it. I just sent this to a fellow who posted on the GWRRA tech board asking for instructions. This is for the GL1800. I don't know if it applies to earlier GW models. Why Honda didn't put this in the owners manual is one of the great mysteries of the universe. :eek:

OPENING CEREMONY PROGRAMMING

For the following steps, "Press" means press and release unless otherwise noted.

1. Turn ign key to ACC and wait for the normal screen display after the default or existing opening ceremony is done.

2. Press the MODE button 3 times.

3. Simultaneously press and HOLD the TRIP and DISP buttons for at least 2 seconds, and then release.

4. Press the MODE button.

5. Press the DISP button You should now see the word " Special !" . If not, turn off the key and start over.

6. If Special appears, press the TRIP button.

7. At the prompt "Change OK?", press the MODE button.

8. You should now see a 12 character line, with the cursor at the left end. Use the TRIP button to cycle through the available characters until you find the one you want. (letters, numbers,blank, and some others)

Note: You cannot backup when cycling through the characters! If you pass the one you want, you will have to cycle around to the desired character again.

9. When the desired character appears, press the DISP button to to enter it and move the cursor to the next space to the right. The cursor only moves to the right, and then wraps from the right end back to the left end.

10. When the desired 12 characters (or less) have been selected, press MODE button to store the characters in memory.

Now turn the ign key to OFF while watching the display screen. You should see the words "See You" with your 12 (or less) character line underneath. When you turn the key ON or to ACC, you should see "HELLO" and your entry line, and then the message saying "Welcome To The Gold Wing World".

This should work, but some experimenting may be necessary. I hope I got this right. If not let me know.

Rotsa Ruck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just picked up an '04 Wing less than 2 weeks ago. The owners manual in it does have the procedure you discuss, starting on page 21. I wonder why Honda didn't put it in all years manuals?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AI_Nut said:
I just picked up an '04 Wing less than 2 weeks ago. The owners manual in it does have the procedure you discuss, starting on page 21. I wonder why Honda didn't put it in all years manuals?
I have no idea! Probably they saved 5 cents on one or two less pages for 3 years of manuals! :lol:

·
Registered
879 Posts
My 03 manual has the instructions starting on page 21. And, I thought I would have to reprogram it when I disconnected the battery but was able to recall it. Not sure how I did that, was just fumbling around to reprogram and it came up in the diaplay and I resaved it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HAWK said:
My 03 manual has the instructions starting on page 21. And, I thought I would have to reprogram it when I disconnected the battery but was able to recall it. Not sure how I did that, was just fumbling around to reprogram and it came up in the diaplay and I resaved it.
Sounds like Honda woke up starting with 03 manual and put instructions in.

I pulled my battery the other day to clean it and lost not only my Ceremony, but all the AM/FM radio, audio speed comp, and ride control presets as well. :(

No Biggie...just a pain.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Oh ya, I lost all the radio presets, clock and anything else I had set. That's why I was sure I lost the opening ceremony also. When I started to reprogram the ceremony it came up in the diaplay and I resaved it. Not sure how it happened and if I have to do it again I hope I have the same luck.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I saw a neat trick used to save settings on electronic gear when changing an automobile battery. My neighbor had rigged up a 9 volt transistor radio battery (the kind with the snaps) to a common cigarette lighter plug. Before disconnecting the battery, he plugged this device into the lighter socket. We removed the battery in my car (and had a beer to celebrate getting the [email protected] thing loose from it's mountings), installed the new battery and disconnected the device. All the radio presets were in place, the clock had the correct time and there was no need for the ECM to "relearn" it's duties. My guess is that the car was without regular battery power for about 45 minutes, the electronics running only on that little battery. Not sure why it worked or how, but it was a neat trick. Hope someone can use the help.

markie

·
Registered
879 Posts
AI Nut,
It's an accessory. You can get one from HDL. Either a Honda one or an Electrical Connection one. Stock location is in the left fairing pocket. The ignition needs to be on or in accessory position to be hot unless you wire it direct to the battery.

Actually, it is a power outlet, not actually a cigar lighter. Maybe one would work in it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
sjvanepps said:
For those who may not know how, and are interested in programming in your own personal message into the Opening Ceremony Screen
Many thanks! I didn't see this in my '02 manual. I wouldn't have even known to have looked for it except that under the nickname thread someone had mentioned having the bike's nickname in the opening ceremony.

I figured it was a custom rom thing, never thought it was this easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those who may not know how, and are interested in programming in your own personal message into the Opening Ceremony Screen in your Multi Display, below is the sequence for doing it. Maybe this has been put up on the Board before, but I am a newbie to the board and have not seen it. I just sent this to a fellow who posted on the GWRRA tech board asking for instructions. This is for the GL1800. I don't know if it applies to earlier GW models. Why Honda didn't put this in the owners manual is one of the great mysteries of the universe. :eek:

OPENING CEREMONY PROGRAMMING

For the following steps, "Press" means press and release unless otherwise noted.

1. Turn ign key to ACC and wait for the normal screen display after the default or existing opening ceremony is done.

2. Press the MODE button 3 times.

3. Simultaneously press and HOLD the TRIP and DISP buttons for at least 2 seconds, and then release.

4. Press the MODE button.

5. Press the DISP button You should now see the word " Special !" . If not, turn off the key and start over.

6. If Special appears, press the TRIP button.

7. At the prompt "Change OK?", press the MODE button.

8. You should now see a 12 character line, with the cursor at the left end. Use the TRIP button to cycle through the available characters until you find the one you want. (letters, numbers,blank, and some others)

Note: You cannot backup when cycling through the characters! If you pass the one you want, you will have to cycle around to the desired character again.

9. When the desired character appears, press the DISP button to to enter it and move the cursor to the next space to the right. The cursor only moves to the right, and then wraps from the right end back to the left end.

10. When the desired 12 characters (or less) have been selected, press MODE button to store the characters in memory.

Now turn the ign key to OFF while watching the display screen. You should see the words "See You" with your 12 (or less) character line underneath. When you turn the key ON or to ACC, you should see "HELLO" and your entry line, and then the message saying "Welcome To The Gold Wing World".

This should work, but some experimenting may be necessary. I hope I got this right. If not let me know.

Rotsa Ruck!
Appreciate the assistance, I dont have a mode button, but most importantly, the instructions in the manual, call for pressing the set button when one is not available on the display

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Just reprogrammed my greeting on the screen of my 2001. Didn't know it was possible on the older ones without the larger Nav screen. Sort of cool.
The method was slightly different than the "instructions" at the beginning, but if I can figure it out anyone should be able to. Once you get into the "Special" option it's just typical trial/error. Only three buttons....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts