GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change my fork oil and I was wondering what weight oil others were using with the progressive springs,thanks in advance.

·
Registered
626 Posts
15 weight is what Progressive told me. set at 5.5"

·
Registered
34 Posts
oil

15 weight at 5.5 too. What a differance. Old oil looked black.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
That's not what Progressive Suspension told me.....................

They (Larry Longely) said that on the GL1500 to use 15wt...............but on the stiffer GL1800 to stick with 10wt oil with the Progressive springs.

Author: Larry/Progressive
Date: 12/2/2003 10:36 pm PST

For the 1800 Wing I would recommend 10 wgt fork oil, any good fork oil is ok, we usually use Motul.
I used Amsoil medium "shock therapy" (10wt)

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
They used 10weight in mine. The springs will make the frt much stiffer. I didn't want to add to that stiffness with a heavier oil. Glad I didn't.

At 25,000 my front OEM springs were gone. For the first few thousand after the Progressives were installed I thought my teeth would jar out. Very rough at first, now I love them after about 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I was told to use 10 weight & that is what I have been useing in both the bike & trike. I love the ride.

·
Registered
300 Posts
oil weight

i have always used the eigt of the loaded bike for deciding what wieght of oil to use .i am 200 lbs and my wife is less and i tried useing the 15wt and iot was too stiff i would recomend if you weight more than use loaded you might want to use the 15 if not it is always good to stick with what honda says...just my two cents..

·
Registered
679 Posts
In addition to fork oil weight...

who has/what is the SIMPLEST method for changing the fork oil?

:yw1:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Correction

I must be getting old, I went home and looked at the bottle of fork oil and it is 10 weight not 15. Sorry for the info above.

·
Registered
759 Posts
had my oil changed by progressive at wing ding...they put in 10 wt...rides like a dream ...along with changing the rear spring to progressive also.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
fork oil

If i remember correctly, i think that phil flack rally services installed 15/20 weight fork oil in my wing. I also replaced the rear spring to progressive as well. My wing rides smooth, no problems, no dragging.
JD :biker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts