GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating front fork springs down the road and wondered what all was done in the process, being retired and out of the wrenching part of my life I planned on having it done at the shop. What is removed,replaced, what weight fork oil ( 10,15, or 20)? What happens to the anti-dive, which I for one like.:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Quick change out. All that is changes if the springs and oil. I did mine in less than an hour. I used 10wt Bel-ray fork oil. You can leave the anti dive in place if you want. I didn't, but it's up to you. Meter panel and gauge housing has to be moved away, also front wheel usually comes off drain oil. These springs a bit stiffer than the OEM springs and raise the bike about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch higher.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I was contemplating front fork springs down the road and wondered what all was done in the process, being retired and out of the wrenching part of my life I planned on having it done at the shop. What is removed,replaced, what weight fork oil ( 10,15, or 20)? What happens to the anti-dive, which I for one like.:popcorn:
Removing the forks allows for a better fork oil change. Wear bushings may need to be replaced also. Spacers likely will need to be made to get the preload right, unless they come with the springs.

Consider straight rate springs instead of the dual rate Progressives. The softer portion of the rate just lets the bike sag, you get into the stiffer rate VERY early.

I used 1.0 RaceTechs (the rate chosen depends on a lot of things), stock weight fork oil, and left the anti-dive in place. Race tech provided spacer material, it was a question of figuring out what was needed, and a small hacksaw job. Since my anti-dive functions fine, there was little drawback to leaving it operational.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I replaced the OEM springs with Progressive's and used 7 wt delray fork oil. It made for a much stiffer front end. I would not recommend using any thing heavier than 7wt fork oil. I liked the ride and the suspension.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Your profile shows nothing ===what bike where you at?
maybe put a little info in profile, maybe someone near you will help out

Front end off tubes off to wash out properly
change bushings if you have about 22K or more
I like 15 weight Bel-Ray oil only my preference most folks use the honda stock
loose the ant-dive , nickel with hole drilled in it trick
you gonna like it =promise

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Question for you tech gurus can you use race tech gold valve kit with progessive springs dont want to spend extra on the race tech springs
as i have the progessive springs already

Cheers:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,893 Posts
I replaced the OEM springs with Progressive's and used 7 wt delray fork oil. It made for a much stiffer front end. I would not recommend using any thing heavier than 7wt fork oil. I liked the ride and the suspension.

JMHO
That's an interesting note. I used 10 weight and was wondering if I should have used 15wt. I wasn't aware that anyone went as low as 7wt on the Wing. I have never experimented with different weights before, so I don't know the effect that each one has.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts