GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has their Trike Motorcyce insured with PROGRESSIVE needs to check their policy. We have been told by them that our Trikes involved in accident are ONLY covered for accessories which includes the TRIKE itself!!! THEY HAVE RECLASSIFIED THAT AS AN ACCESSORY. RAISE your ACCESSORY INSURANCE or consider a change.

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
620 Posts
I think he's saying the cost of the trike conversation and all the parts that make up the trike part are considered accessories.

With that said, I wonder if they would cover ONE of the back wheels since a normal motorcycle contains a front and back wheel?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
That is standard policy with most insurance companies........I brought this up months ago.
If you want your Trike conversion covered in addition to the motorcycle you need to pay for that additional accessory coverage.

I switched my motorcycle policy from State Farm to Progressive as SF only used the VIN of the motorcycle for the policy coverage even on a trike.
Nothing in the SF policy stated anything about a trike or it being covered......good luck collecting full trike value on a total loss claim.

Progressive allows you to select a trike as the insured vehicle and add additional coverage up to $25K to cover the trike portion.
Check your policy close....I checked a lot of companies and many did not cover the trike conversion without accessory insurance coverage to the amount of the conversion.

Reactions: BrokenBackJack

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
I sent my insurance company a copy of my total receipt (from my trike builder) and than called the ins. company a few days later to be sure that they indeed receive it........ So they know exactly what I had paid for my re-build...
I also made sure that the new trike RE-build will be covered if anything happens...THEY SAID YES!

Ronnie
8/6/22

·
Registered
182 Posts
I sent my insurance company a copy of my total receipt (from my trike builder) and than called the ins. company a few days later to be sure that they indeed receive it........ So they know exactly what I had paid for my re-build...
I also made sure that the new trike RE-build will be covered if anything happens...THEY SAID YES!

Ronnie
8/6/22
Saying yes means noting. If it is not written on your policy it is not covered. I would check just to be sure. It may have the additional on it but you don't want to find out when you need it.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Had state farm for 40 years. Till I found out they didn't actually cover my bushtec trailer (even my agent thought they did till I happened to ask a question). Or medical for a passenger that didn't reside in my household.

I switched to progressive, now have dairyland.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
As Judge Judy says check the 4 corners of your contract, in this case your policy, and if its not on it its not covered :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
As Judge Judy says check the 4 corners of your contract, in this case your policy, and if its not on it its not covered :ROFLMAO:
Absolutely! Verbal means nothing......
That's what I told State Farm......they said the trike was covered, I asked them to put it on the policy or send me a document stating so.
They would not do so...... :oops:

I like watching Judge Judy.......makes me feel real good about my life. :giggle:

Reactions: CAWing and Joen

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour 6 MT
240 Posts
Had state farm for 40 years. Till I found out they didn't actually cover my bushtec trailer (even my agent thought they did till I happened to ask a question). Or medical for a passenger that didn't reside in my household.
I have a separate policy for my trailer. Only $40 / year with State Farm. It serves 2 purposes, first the trailer is covered for replacement should something happen, and second, it would be hard for SF to say I shouldn't be pulling a trailer if they issue a policy for it.

My first trailer was totaled after an accident, and I was able to replace it.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
My trailer is under accessories. Only about $18 for $6k of coverage as I recall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts