GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order a set of Monotubes for my '06 GW. (I already have a Traxxion lower triple tree with All Balls to install)

I have read that there was a recent design change.

How do I ensure that I get the most recent Monotubes from a vendor?

Do the newest Monotubes have a different model number?

I was going to order direct from Progressive but their price is a lot more then other vendors. So before I order, I will call to make sure they have the newest Monotubes in stock and not old inventory.

(I will call Progressive and ask these question tomorrow as well - they are closed now)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm getting ready to order a set of Monotubes for my '06 GW.

I was going to order direct from Progressive but their price is a lot more then other vendors. So before I order, I will call to make sure they have the newest Monotubes in stock and not old inventory.

I know you've seen my posts on this subject ,but let me say it again.

I would not hesitate to install any monotubes that you would recieve when ordering from a well known vendor. I would just make sure you ordered from a vendor that has a good volume of monotube sales. that way your not getting old stock that's been sitting around a long time..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you've seen my posts on this subject ,but let me say it again.

I would not hesitate to install any monotubes that you would recieve when ordering from a well known vendor. I would just make sure you ordered from a vendor that has a good volume of monotube sales. that way your not getting old stock that's been sitting around a long time..

Yup, I read yours and others posts on this subject.

But since I'm ordering new ones I figure I should get the newest ones, so to speak, and not older stock.

Now I just have to find a vendor who has a good price that has the newest version of Monotubes...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm getting ready to order a set of Monotubes for my '06 GW. (I already have a Traxxion lower triple tree with All Balls to install)

(I will call Progressive and ask these question tomorrow as well - they are closed now)
I just went through this same thing.

Hope this helps you figure it out.

IMHO there is no functional, internal difference between the "old" and "new" design as long as you don't over fill.

Details, ad nauseum here...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?402465-progressive-cartridge&p=5134665#post5134665

Best,
Andy

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The only difference from what i have read here with the new sets is that the instructions say to use a little less fork oil in the right fork BTW I really like mine good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I think the visible difference is that the new model has a white plastic piece above the springs instead of a black plastic piece like the old ones had. I believe it's the seal for the gas-filled cartridges. I wish I had a picture to show, but I seem to recall this from another thread that I can't find either. I've had the older ones installed in my bike for the last 15,000 miles or so and couldn't be happier. Someone will be along with pix. Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
progressve cartridges

Not to be a spoil sport here but I sure hope you don't need warranty work. I was one of the ones that received a set of miss assembled cartridges back in November 2013. First I was told that there was nothing wrong with them. I didn't know what I was talking about. After a post here and other members having the same thing wrong with sets they received Progressive admitted the mistake. Frank called me in the late evening and said they would pay return shipping. Two weeks and many unanswered phone calls and finally getting down right nasty I got the call ticket and sent them back on 12/19/13. They received them on 12/3013. Back to the same bull888 again. Unanswered phone calls ,no call backs and no e mail response. The idea is great and while they lasted they rode great but when you are in the middle of a 6000 mile cross country trip and the front end is pounding the **** out of you because they failed it doesn't give you the warm fussies. Nobody there has answers when you finally get to talk to someone and It is always somebody else fault. If you buy I hope you get a good set and NEVER have problems with them. This is beginning to be just like the rear shock fiasco.
Rant over and flame suit is on.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Progressive

Not to be a spoil sport here but I sure hope you don't need warranty work. I was one of the ones that received a set of miss assembled cartridges back in November 2013. First I was told that there was nothing wrong with them. I didn't know what I was talking about. After a post here and other members having the same thing wrong with sets they received Progressive admitted the mistake. Frank called me in the late evening and said they would pay return shipping. Two weeks and many unanswered phone calls and finally getting down right nasty I got the call ticket and sent them back on 12/19/13. They received them on 12/3013. Back to the same bull888 again. Unanswered phone calls ,no call backs and no e mail response. The idea is great and while they lasted they rode great but when you are in the middle of a 6000 mile cross country trip and the front end is pounding the **** out of you because they failed it doesn't give you the warm fussies. Nobody there has answers when you finally get to talk to someone and It is always somebody else fault. If you buy I hope you get a good set and NEVER have problems with them. This is beginning to be just like the rear shock fiasco.
Rant over and flame suit is on.
I thought in the end you were satisfied with the Progressive's handling of the problem, but here you sound like you still have a bad taste in your mouth from the experience. Is that accurate? Was the biggest problem the silence of Progressive even when you tried to communicate with them in various ways for a significant period of time?

·
Registered
38 Posts
No bad taste. Just pissed off . They still have the cartridges that I sent them. No response about when the replacement cartridges will be shipped to me. It is their screw up not mine. Have the bike down and don,t when or if I will see the replacement cartridges.
In my opinion you don't offer a life time warranty if you don't plan on honoring It. Very poor business practice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ordered my Monotubes.

I tried to use forum sponsors, but the ones I called drop ship from a distributor and there is at least a 2 week back order from Progressive.

I found a vendor that had the tubes in stock at $249 shipped and I should get them Tuesday.

I need to have them installed by the Death Valley trip....

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just got off the phone with Frank at progressive. He told me that they have been on back order. They are supposed to be in stock on Monday.What have found is when something is on backorder that they have modified a part. I was told that mine should ship on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Not like there are many options in the same price range as Monotubes....
Actually, Gold Valves are pretty close in price (a bit more) and offer the ability to tune them for your weight, style, and needs. You can get appropriate springs, adjust damping characteristics by using different shims in the shim stack, and fine tune with different fork oil options.
They are a more complex install, but if you can install PMTs you should be able to do Gold Valves.

Gold Valves are not a gas charged option, so there is nothing to leak down. The only negative is that the adjustments are internal, so you need to pull the forks and disassemble them to make any modifications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts