GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havn't had a chance to test drive a wing with Mono tubes so don't know how much improvement over stock, anyone know if its as nice as a st1300? Don't get any road crack slap in the bars on my ST and would love to get my wing to ride like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Even a stock GL18 should not give you slap through the bars if the parts are in good shape. You may have a defective anti-dive valve (AD) or maybe your springs are sacked-out, or maybe your ride weight is heavy. Search on the AD for easy ways to test it as the source and how to repair it. Heavier springs and better yet heavier linear springs may fit your ride style better (keeps you off the bottom of the suspension). And, YES, the monotubes get excellent reviews with the exception of some failures with early editions and some controversy over use of the spacers or not. Then, there is the Traxxion system which is wonderful when custom turned to your ride conditions.

List the year model of your bike in your signature, it makes some difference in this area.

prs

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
I have put on about 40,000 miles on monotubes and in my opinion they definitely are quite a bit better than stock :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Pigeon Roost is probably right on the points he made, but to answer your question, the monotubes ride great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harsh ride

I really hate the frost cracks in MN, On my 04 I tried Progressive springs and new OEM springs, and disabled the anti dive, Now I have a 08 with traxion springs and a disabled anti dive and still not impressed, Bike only had 17,000 when I bought it. Anyone have a opinion about Race tech vavle kit?

·
Registered
92 Posts
gointhere, I installed race-tech after installing aTraxxion rear shock and spring. I disregard race-tech spring rate and went with 1.2's as opposed to .95's, I've played with adjustment of the emulator spring and settled back to the original setting of 4 turns and two bleed holes and fork oil weight is 20 wt in the emulator leg and 10 wt in the right. The oil level at 5.5 in. fully compressed. I may try 15 wt in the right leg, but as for now this a good match for the rear shock and I do not intend to go to any other brand of option. This system can be tuned to your likeing and no worry of possible gas leak. Just MHO. HTH .....Oldspeed

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I had race tech good product. However not even close to monotubes I also believe the real key is a beefed up tree You pick which one floats your boat

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I really hate the frost cracks in MN, On my 04 I tried Progressive springs and new OEM springs, and disabled the anti dive, Now I have a 08 with traxion springs and a disabled anti dive and still not impressed, Bike only had 17,000 when I bought it. Anyone have a opinion about Race tech vavle kit?

I have the early version of the tubes and they are a great improvment over just a spring upgrade or stock but IMO you still wont get rid of that jarring bump feeling on the small cracks on the road on this bike you really need some modern upside down forks for a smoother ride :thumbup:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have the early version of the tubes and they are a great improvment over just a spring upgrade or stock but IMO you still wont get rid of that jarring bump feeling on the small cracks on the road on this bike you really need some modern upside down forks for a smoother ride :thumbup:
So does anybody have an opinion on what is best for getting rid of "that jarring bump feeling on the small cracks"?That's exactly what I'm looking to get rid of and not looking to run twistys at a hundred miles an hour.Ride meens a lot more to me than handling.

Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi Chris. as a user of the latest Gen3 mono tubes I can say that they smoothened out the concrete expansion joints I felt albeit it minorly with the first gen mono tubes. The newest version mono tubes are real smooth at all speeds.

I belive there is a few more board member who have the gen3 mono tubes and may chime in?

S
Thanks Suncrest.
Seems like most 1800 riders are looking to make the handling better where as I'd just like it to ride better.If it handles better as well then that's a bonus.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So does anybody have an opinion on what is best for getting rid of "that jarring bump feeling on the small cracks"?That's exactly what I'm looking to get rid of and not looking to run twistys at a hundred miles an hour.Ride meens a lot more to me than handling.

Sorry for the hijack.
Suspension aside... next time you replace the front tire try an avon cobra, it gives a much softer ride than the dunlops or stones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts