GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new Progressive springs in the front end over the Winter, and I must admit the handling is night and day above what it was with the stock springs, although a bit stiff. After reading, hearing, and seeing how the two front tube internals differ, I'm contemplating gutting both tubes and installing the Progressive monotubes. It just seems to make more sense to have both tubes performing the same, having a balanced system I guess, than having one tube work and the other just kinda hanging out. Before everyone jumps on the "go Traxxion" band wagon, it's way, way out of my budget, so we'll stop it there. Those of you that have used the Progressive Monotubes, how do you like them, any secrets to success? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I installed Progressive Monotubes on my '06 about 14K miles ago. I made the change with the hope I would eliminate repeated leaks from the left oil seal. So far, so good! I really haven't noticed any real difference in the ride, but I'm not that particular. I ride solo. I've no doubt Traxxion makes great products, but like you, I have a limited budget that I would rather spend on fuel and food to keep riding.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I installed them on my '03 and loved the change in the ride. But I also added a Rocky Triple Tree, and a new rear shock at the same time. Put about 18k miles on it after that before I bought a '10 with 9k miles on it. The '03 has Traxxion springs in it when I went to the Monotubes and had Progressive springs before that.

I intended to wait until it was time to rebuild the forks, (30k for me), to upgrade the '10. I would begin to think the '10 rode ok but when I would get back on the '03 it was night and day difference. I couldn't wait. Prior to 15k on the '10 I did the Monotubes, a bullet triple tree, a new take-off '12 rear shock and All Balls. That makes the bike ride as well as I need it to and at half the price of Traxxion.

Side note, the Rocky Tree is stiffer than the billet tree, I may try to get another Rocky Tree if he is still making them. The triple tree is worth doing, doesn't change the ride but drastically changes the wimpy noodley feel of the steering.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
All Balls, Rocky Tree and Mono Tubes. The only way to travel. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I've tried progressive springs, mono tubes and traxxion springs and disabling the antidive.

The Progressive springs were good, the mono tubes were better. The 1.2kg traxxion springs, their recommened oil and disabling the antidive was the best for us. I weigh on the wrong side of 300 lbs and we ride a lot if 2-up

If you are of average size I would say the mono tubes are a great choice.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
I installed new Progressive springs in the front end over the Winter, and I must admit the handling is night and day above what it was with the stock springs, although a bit stiff. After reading, hearing, and seeing how the two front tube internals differ, I'm contemplating gutting both tubes and installing the Progressive monotubes. It just seems to make more sense to have both tubes performing the same, having a balanced system I guess, than having one tube work and the other just kinda hanging out. Before everyone jumps on the "go Traxxion" band wagon, it's way, way out of my budget, so we'll stop it there. Those of you that have used the Progressive Monotubes, how do you like them, any secrets to success? Thanks in advance.
It definitely makes more sense to have both tubes equal in performance. Before installing Progressive monotubes (in California, midway on a cross country tour) my front tire wore unevenly, with more wear on the left (the antidive valve side). After installing the tubes, handling and rebound shock in the bars improved immediately and tire wear evened out during the 3000 mile return trip. It could be that the higher mass of the antidive tube caused the uneven wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts